RAID'ing 2 drives

Associate
I've decided to have 2 500GB drives in RAID0 for win7 and maybe perhaps backup the needed files manually on a third drive.

I had decided to go with the Samsung F3's but over the last couple of days I've decided to go with some WD blacks as I've always found the larger cache helps.

I've never used RAID before but I want to try something different but my steam folder is too large for a 128GB SSD and I don't like pre-ordering a product with no eta.

I have a Formula Crosshair III motherboard with 2 Sata's occupied by High def read and a dvd/rw drive so I have 3 Sata's left.

Would it be fine setting up the RAID straight off this board and also is there anything I'm overlooking with the blacks?

cheers

Associate
OP
I think I've now decided to forget the idea of having a back up drive on this computer an just store everything I need back ups off on another computer.

thus I'm planning on have 3 drives in RAID 0. would this actually be an improvement or will certain aspects be slower?

Associate
OP
I can't remember what my speeds were for the drive I've got currently but I just want drive speeds to be faster and perform better than what it is now.

If I happen to spend £150 on 3x 500gb drives and have faster than a single drive then fantastic. It's better than spending £400 or so for a single 250gb.

Soldato
I wouldn't go in with that attitude, yes it does speed things up but RAID 0 has next to no fault tolerancy and if you have precious data all drives on that array will die if one dies. As far as I'm aware.

Man of Honour
How much slower is RAID-5 to a pure RAID-0 array? With parity data being moved about I've been told it is slower but much more fault tolerant. :)

I've noticed little perfomance difference between RAID 5 and RAID 0 tbh. If it's benchmarks you're interested in, then you'd have to do some digging around for differences. Personally, I like the fact that you can have fault tolerant stripped disks.

Back
Top Bottom