Rail travel cards (London Uni Students?)

Soldato
I don't understand public transport in the slightest, and cant use the phone to get some advice from the rail people. I wondered if anyone here could help :)

I need to know what it will cost to travel to and from london university daily, at about 7am and 5pm or so, weekdays, term time (I don't know if termtime counts as some kinda seasonal peak rate?).

As a 24 yr old student in full time education, what is the cheapest way to do it :) Thanks!

In case the origin matters, the station would be East Grinstead or nearby.

I really appreciate any help :)

Associate
Full-time students in London get 1/3 off travel. Visit the transport for london website.

If by University of London you mean Royal Holloway then I'm not sure as that uni probably isn't covered by the TFL scheme.

Soldato
OP
badgermonkey said:
Walking's good for you :)

Yeah, ok. It's only 30miles following major roads, if I take it at a 3mph walk, it's only a 20hour commute.
Thanks for the tip! :p

neocon said:
go to your train station and ask at the ticket office

Clearly, or phone the rail people - both of which I can't do from here.

Samtheman1k said:
Are you asking "how much is a return from East Grinstead to London?".

Yes, but as some kinda super-saver deal for lots of the same trip.

Samtheman1k said:
Or phone them back up and ask the above question.

I can't currently use the phone, but the info would be very useful this afternoon.

Samtheman1k said:
You can get a student railcard aswell, that saves you IIRC 1/3 on offpeak travel.

They say on the site that "If you are making many trips before 10am a season ticket may be better" - but I cant find season ticket info anywhere :S

ritcH said:
Full-time students in London get 1/3 off travel. Visit the transport for london website.

Awesome tip, I'll have a gander thanks! :) The uni is UCL :)

Last edited:

M0T

M0T

Soldato
According to the trainline a standard day return (i.e. before 9:00 travel) is £15.50. Railcards are not valid until after 9:00

Between 9 & 10 its £8

After 10 its £6.80 return.

Interestingly it doesn't seem to accept a young persons railcard for this journey.

Soldato
I think a season ticket is the most sensible option. You *might* be able to use a student or young persons railcard on these, but I'm not sure. Travelling into London is expensive unfortunately, but for some (like me) it is unavoidable.

Associate
Helium_Junkie said:
So a season ticket, is there a place online to get them? I've poured around the network rail timetables and fares but cant find anything about them :(

You need to buy them from the ticket offices and you need to go down with a photo aswell for the travelcard. You can find the prices on specific train operators websites, might be South Eastern Trains for Sussex...not 100% on that though.

Expect to pay at least £30 a week for East Grinstead to London, probably more.

Back
Top Bottom