Ram choice for 5900x

Associate
Hi I am currently half way through my 5900x build and stuck between 2 ram choices the 8Pack 3600mhz I have seen on offer and the Gskill Nero Trident Nero 3600mhz any advise would be much appreciated

I'd go for the 8 Pack ram.
Whilst you can get the Gskill with the same timings, a quick look on Google suggests they are not as tight as the 8 Pack ram.

In all honesty, both are extremely fast and there will be little to no difference between them.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
G.Skill is pretty much the best ram you can buy but it does come at a cost, if they are similar price got with the G.Skill all day long.

Associate
OP
G.Skill is pretty much the best ram you can buy but it does come at a cost, if they are similar price got with the G.Skill all day long.
£70 difference as the 8Pack ram is currently on offer but do like that GSkill and heard good things about it. Plus it’s RGB bit more colour for my water cooling build

Soldato
I've got the 8-pack ram and running @ 3800 cl16 fclk 1900. If I had known that memtest86 only works in CSM mode rather than UEFI then I would have tried to tighten the timings more. Tested with TM5.

Soldato
I’ve got Gskill kit and can recommend them. Running my 3600 kit at 3800 fclk at 1900
What timings?

I've got the 8-pack ram and running @ 3800 cl16 fclk 1900. If I had known that memtest86 only works in CSM mode rather than UEFI then I would have tried to tighten the timings more. Tested with TM5.

Same. I've been running this on the 8-pack 3600MHz CL16 RAM for over a year now

e1thdZ2.png

NLymOnF.png

Edit

I found this video of the G Skill Trident Z NEO 3600MHz clocked at 3800, CL14.
The read/write and latency is lower on the 8 pack stuff with my timings.
Could be the 5800X helping though and the vid is quite old so on the older 1.0.0.4 AGESA BIOS
Seems to me like people pay the £70 premium for flashing RGB grossness

Last edited:
Associate
Keep an eye on WHICH GSkill Trident Z you're looking at.... some are CAS18,17,16.... but there's a 3600Mhz CAS14 bundle too!

This is the part you're after.... now good luck finding it for under £300 for 2x16Gb!

F4-3600C14D-32GTZNA

Last edited:
Soldato
That's pretty impressive timing for a 3600MhzC16 kit.... 3800MhzC14.... didn't see a shot of the voltage? 1.45V?
Ta. With help from people on here of course
1.5V (set in BIOS)

In theory, could that GSkill trident 3600 C14 run @ 3800 C12? Though might be better trying for 4000 C14

Last edited:
Associate
Ta. With help from people on here of course
1.5V (set in BIOS)

In theory, could that GSkill trident 3600 C14 run @ 3800 C12? Though might be better trying for 4000 C14

I'll give it a try when it arrives, but I'm still running a R7 2700X... so I won't get THAT much benefit out of the aggressive timings until I stump up for a 5900X* and I'm assuming that I could get some false negatives with the old 2000-series Ryzen - less capable of running those sorts of timings AND less benefit IF they run.

That said: even stock DOCP will be a nice step up..... currently I've got 4x8Gb Vengeance LPX 3200 C16.... but I couldn't even get them to run at that using the SPD/DOCP settings, without some BIOS "fiddling": I bought it as two "2x8Gb" kits a few weeks apart.... and sod's law: same product code.... one Hynix, one Samsung (#epicfacepalm)... and it's single ranked too, so not great if I drop back down to 2x8Gb either... on the plus(ish) side: I've got a couple of HTPCs that are about to get silly RAM upgrades.

*can't bring myself to pull the trigger on that as I'm not going to be CPU-limited until I upgrade the graphics and we all know what that market looks like :(

Soldato
I'll give it a try when it arrives, but I'm still running a R7 2700X... so I won't get THAT much benefit out of the aggressive timings until I stump up for a 5900X* and I'm assuming that I could get some false negatives with the old 2000-series Ryzen - less capable of running those sorts of timings AND less benefit IF they run.

That said: even stock DOCP will be a nice step up..... currently I've got 4x8Gb Vengeance LPX 3200 C16.... but I couldn't even get them to run at that using the SPD/DOCP settings, without some BIOS "fiddling": I bought it as two "2x8Gb" kits a few weeks apart.... and sod's law: same product code.... one Hynix, one Samsung (#epicfacepalm)... and it's single ranked too, so not great if I drop back down to 2x8Gb either... on the plus(ish) side: I've got a couple of HTPCs that are about to get silly RAM upgrades.

*can't bring myself to pull the trigger on that as I'm not going to be CPU-limited until I upgrade the graphics and we all know what that market looks like :(

Yeh, parts buying at the moment (past couple of years) has been a bit rubbish.
I ordered motherboard, RAM, then ordered CPU but the CPU fell through (competitor) as they said they had stock and 1 was reserved for me, but then ran out of stock or it was lost in transit or some such twaddle :rolleyes:
I was left with MB and RAM so just stumped up scalp price on eBay for a 5800X (£550)
With my 3080FE, I also paid scalp price on eBay (£1000)

I did however sell my old i7 4790k bundle for £360 and 2080Ti for £700. It paid for a chunk (just over half) of the new MB, RAM, CPU and GPU upgrade. We then went into the first lockdown and prices carried on going up and parts became more scarce. I was fuming at paying 1k for the 3080 FE at the time but even checking now it looks like I could get my money back quick enough based on what I paid for it. It's also a good one and doesnt get much hotter than 65c under load

Associate
I was left with MB and RAM so just stumped up scalp price on eBay for a 5800X (£550)
With my 3080FE, I also paid scalp price on eBay (£1000)

Assuming you're in in England, I think you mean the 2nd lockdown (3080Ti+5000series weren't out in early 2020 ;) ).... that hardware came out between the 1st lockdown and the November mini-lockdown.... I think we're all losing the plot with too many lockdowns.... or perhaps having suffered too long in this hardware drought!

That said, I still think you balanced out reasonably well ahead though.... especially given you've had that kit for around a year now: but one year on and might be able to get a 5900X for ~£475 these days (5800X is is the sweet spot in terms of all the performance you'd reasonably need, but often sold out and still ~£400).... but that RTX3080FE is presumably the 10Gb version.... even a 8Gb (LHR-gimped) RTX3080 is going to rinse you for ~£1400..... and the 12Gb 3080Ti is more like £1600-£1800..... your GPU is probably more comparable to the Ti in terms of recouping your money with mining, so I think I'd buy that combo for £1550 right now, if I could get it!!

edit: note I just dropped to 16Gb RAM.... the 32Gb chips should arrive before I need to start working again mid-January.... I'm only gaming right now I've been getting fed up trying to find the right balance and upping the voltage to run the SPD rated speed AND still having the memory unstable.... so the choice was slacking off timings, dropping the speed to 3133Mhz or dropping two sticks. The HTPC got an early upgrade (the 2x "v5.32" Hynix sticks*) and I'll keep the "v4.xx" Samsung sticks until the 3600Mhz CAS14 GSkill stuff arrives.... only single ranked, but I doubt my CPU will notice the difference and it went straight to 3200Mhz, CAS15, stock voltage and rock steady....

*Criminal that Corsair can do that: sell the EXACT same model number "CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX"... where everybody originally reviewed the Sasmung die.... and now there's less capable Hynix chips sold under the same name.

Last edited:
Soldato
Assuming you're in in England, I think you mean the 2nd lockdown (3080Ti+5000series weren't out in early 2020 ;) ).... that hardware came out between the 1st lockdown and the November mini-lockdown.... I think we're all losing the plot with too many lockdowns.... or perhaps having suffered too long in this hardware drought!

That said, I still think you balanced out reasonably well ahead though.... especially given you've had that kit for around a year now: but one year on and might be able to get a 5900X for ~£475 these days (5800X is is the sweet spot in terms of all the performance you'd reasonably need, but often sold out and still ~£400).... but that RTX3080FE is presumably the 10Gb version.... even a 8Gb (LHR-gimped) RTX3080 is going to rinse you for ~£1400..... and the 12Gb 3080Ti is more like £1600-£1800..... your GPU is probably more comparable to the Ti in terms of recouping your money with mining, so I think I'd buy that combo for £1550 right now, if I could get it!!

edit: note I just dropped to 16Gb RAM.... the 32Gb chips should arrive before I need to start working again mid-January.... I'm only gaming right now I've been getting fed up trying to find the right balance and upping the voltage to run the SPD rated speed AND still having the memory unstable.... so the choice was slacking off timings, dropping the speed to 3133Mhz or dropping two sticks. The HTPC got an early upgrade (the 2x "v5.32" Hynix sticks*) and I'll keep the "v4.xx" Samsung sticks until the 3600Mhz CAS14 GSkill stuff arrives.... only single ranked, but I doubt my CPU will notice the difference and it went straight to 3200Mhz, CAS15, stock voltage and rock steady....

*Criminal that Corsair can do that: sell the EXACT same model number "CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX"... where everybody originally reviewed the Sasmung die.... and now there's less capable Hynix chips sold under the same name.

I checked exact purchase dates;

X570 MEG Unify - 23/10/20
32GB 8pack RAM - 24/10/20
5800x - 17/11/20
3080fe (10gb, original version) - 21/01/21

CPU should have been purchased around early november when they were released.

I had my new rig running the 2080Ti for a couple of months before selling and finding the 3080.

Yes, that is a bit cheeky of Corsair but can get away with it because it says nothing in the model no. about the chip type.

Back
Top Bottom