RAM compatibility question for Ryzen upgrade

Associate
When i built my I7 6700k system back in 2015, i used a 32GB 2 dimm kit, this one:

Corsair LPX Vengence 32GB kit (red version)

Now, i'm planning to build a new system, and i want to try and reuse as many parts as i can, I had been hoping to reuse my NH-D15, but might not be able to with the board i'm planning on going with, as the cooler will block the top pcie slot, and I've heard the stock cooler that comes with the 3900X is loud, so i'm going for an H100X (my first AIO)

Now, my question is this: Can i use this ram with my new main board (looking at the Asrock 570M Pro4, as it seems to be the only mATX board i can find on OC that isn't out of stock, at least with the 570 chipset), but the module code number (CMK32GX4M2A266) isn't listed in the HQL list Asrock posted for the 3900x Ryzen chip, would i still be ok using it? I really want to avoid buying new memory, this build has got expensive as it is, i'm just glad i'm not getting a new GPU as well.

Soldato
3600MHz is generally accepted as the best for price/performance.

If you search you'll find multiple tests of Ryzen 3000 with different speeds of memory.

Soldato
While 3600 is the sweet spot it's expensive right now, 3000-3200 is good enough and is still generally well priced.

I'd sell your current kit and look at spending around £140-160 for a 3200 kit if you want to keep 32GB.

Here's an example:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £158.99 (includes shipping: £0.00)

You could also look into overclocking the kit, I've heard of people who managed to push your exact set to 3000mhz.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ok, i think i'm gonna try and go for a 3200/3600MHz kit.

I've just got a couple of more questions (Don't want to spread them all around the forums in different threads), firstly, i'm still planning to go with an mATX board and case, the case being a Gamemax Kamikaze Pro (not available on OCUK i think), and i just bought an AM4 mounting kit for my NH-D 15 cooler, but according to the Asrock's website (they're the only company that are selling an MATX board right now), that cooler will cover the top PCIE x16 slot on the board i'm looking to go for. How much will the cooler block airflow in a case like the GMK? Or would it be worth going an AIO?

And finally, is it worth going X570 now or wait until B550? I won't be upgrading to the 4000 series cpus, upgrading to this will be expensive enough.

I've also read a lot of negative comments on the forum about the chipset fan on the X570 boards, is it really that bad?

Last edited:
Soldato
I've also read a lot of negative comments on the forum about the chipset fan on the X570 boards, is it really that bad?
I've never even heard the fan on mine (X570 Aorus Elite) under normal usage. For the most part, it doesn't spin at all.

I did deliberately spin it up by changing the fan curve in the BIOS and it would be annoying if it was spinning fast, but so far it hasn't.

Man of Honour
2666 isn't that bad, it's not ideal obviously and you'll lose a fair few frames, but you'll still get the bulk of performance from the CPU, especially if you're not upgrading the graphics card. If you only had 8GB I'd be more inclined to change it, but with 32GB I wouldn't bother.

Associate
OP
ok, so i could still go for x570 and hopefully have no issues, and if the ram gives me any trouble, i can either OC it or replace it. What about the cooler? According to Asrock's site, if i use the D15, i won't be able to use the first PCIE slot, and i'm concerned about it blocking airflow, plus it will be a very tight fit in the case height wise.

I've been looking at a few 240mm AIO coolers though.

Soldato
ok, so i could still go for x570 and hopefully have no issues, and if the ram gives me any trouble, i can either OC it or replace it. What about the cooler? According to Asrock's site, if i use the D15, i won't be able to use the first PCIE slot, and i'm concerned about it blocking airflow, plus it will be a very tight fit in the case height wise.

I've been looking at a few 240mm AIO coolers though.
Have you run the Ryzen RAM calculator to see if your ram can go to 3000Mhz (which it probably can). Or even 3200Mhz.

RAM is very expensive atm. If you can reuse for now and tide yourself over for a little while it would be good. DDR4 2666Mhz isn’t popular atm so you probably struggle to realise much of the original value and it won’t loose much more even 4000Mhz become the norm.

Soldato
You put your ram configuration into the calculator:
Ryzen generation, RAM manufacture, die, rank, motherboard chipset and the frequency you want the ram to run at.

then you click calculate to workout the timings and volts you need.

Back
Top Bottom