RAM- hmm... negative GeIL

Associate
So many negative GeIL comments out there... but it is on offer
GeIL 2GB (2x1GB) PC6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR2 Dual Channel Kit (GX22GB6400UDC)

that one... Is there a better option?

Soldato
Comments like what?

Its superb RAM. Snap up that offer its a bargain! I was even going to get another 2GB to make up 4GB but I was just being greedy!

Soldato
1LoveridgeC said:

I can't see any "negative" comments in that link, I can see someone who can't seem to find out a couple bits of info, but that is not a negative comment on the actual physical workings of the Ram.

I have this Ram, and find it very good, this week's offer of £135.11 inc VAT is a "steal", I paid £169.99 for mine! :)

Associate
I have read about some problems with Geil RAM and RMAs but I couldn't say if it is any worse than other manufacturers. My Geil RAM is brilliant and the price is pretty good as well. Though like jbloggs I spent more than they are currently offered for. There was a thread around here of one of the overlockers staff getting some pretty impressive results with these Geil sticks. My RAM will do 870MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.1V and 950MHz, 4-4-4-12, 2.3V and by slackening the timings I can get over 1000MHz.

cheers

Soldato
That wasn't a negative comment. The RAM has worked excellent since day 1. It just needs altering slightly with my motherboard to run at the correct latency/voltage. I'm not one for overclocking so I wanted it to just sit at what it should @ stock :)

Good decision, you won't regret it!

Last edited:
Associate
I read up a lot about this ram and to be honest i wasn't impressed, it will do okay if you don't overclock (thi is not first hand experience mind you) but if you do you'd be better off getting something around £180+ mark. I was going to get geil but then after reading up on different forums about it overclock speeds decided to got for this:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-000-TG
Its on this weeks offer ( you save over 10 quid with vat)
mind you 130 quid inc vat for 2 gigs of ram is exceptionally good value

Soldato
mikka84 wrote:

it will do okay if you don't overclock (this is not first hand experience mind you)

At the moment I have this Ram O/Ced from 2.4->3.2GHz, @2.1v, runs very well, have had it at almost 3.4GHz, completely stable, so really that statement is just not the case (from my experience). :)

Associate
yeah I did read this thread, I'm not saying that its a dreadful ram, I've seen good reviews as well. Thing is with geil you get 2 different chips. Elpida chip or Aeneon chips. and the only way you can find out is to pry that ram heat spreader (there goes your lifetime warranty).I believe Elpida chips are quite good compared to Aeneon (not sure though). Geil also make 6400 ram with micron d9 chips which do rock (you can expect similar if not better performance to crucial 10th anny). I'm not trying to say that geil are crap in any way, but some perform worse that others, but on a bright side you do pay 130 (only this week though ;) ) quid and get life time warranty. on the other side RMAing is something I don't like to do, when i get my product i prefer to install it and remove only when I'm upgrading. my 2 cents

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom