RAM issue, slot 1 & 2 not working. Tried nearly everything. Beer for whoever fixes it!

Permabanned
**Bounty Update 2** It's now 3 packs (12 cans) of your choice of tipple.

**Bounty Update** It's now 2 packs (8 cans) of your choice of tipple.

*Bounty* I will be giving whoever finds the solution to this problem a pack of their favorite beer!

Hey Folks,

Wondering if I can get some help, I've got slot 1 & 2 not accepting any ram at all, I just get a DRAM LED error on my motherboard diagnostics and my system doesn't boot. This issue started a few months ago when I replaced the stock cooler on my 3700X with a Lian Li AIO (Gallahad), after I installed the new cooler, the system wouldn't boot until I removed the RAM from slots 1 & 2.

Since then I just lived with the fact that I'll only have 16gb of RAM (that doesn't get to dual-channel...!) until recently where I've taken on some work where I've had to do a few PC upgrades, and I could really do with having the full 32gb RAM working.

So after some research, I thought maybe I've over-tightened the AIO and either damaged the CPU or Motherboard. So I recently upgrade the CPU to a 5800X and slots 1 and 2 was still not working. Then I replaced the Motherboard, and it still has it so slot 1 and 2 don't work. Maybe it's the RAM, but you can put whatever of the 4 sticks I have and they work in slots 3 & 4 just fine.

So when I swap the RAM out and that doesn't fix it... what's next? Aside from try another PSU which is a lot harder to do... I'm entirely stumped. If I can't fix it, I'll have to get 2x16gb sticks and just have those not in dual channel mode, but it seems like such a shame considering the specs of the system.

MSI B550 MAG mATX (previously MSI B450 Mortar mATX)
5800X (previously 3700X)
4x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz
3080 EGVA XC3
Lian Li Galahad AIO (previously Wraith Cooler)
9 Lian Li RGB Fans

Here is a list of things I've tried so far
  • Replaced Motherboard
  • Replaced CPU
  • Swapped ram sticks around
  • Changed cooler
  • Changed GPU
  • Used different fan headers for internal fans
Has anyone heard of a case where RAM breaks but only for slot 1 & 2? Or where a PSU causes issues with two slots on the motherboard?

Am at wits end and all I want is to dual channel my RAM :(

- Grady

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Try updating bios and disable xmp and put in xmp settings manually and work from a lower setting.

I mean I replaced the motherboard and still had the same issues. First motherboard I tried it before and after an update to no avail. I'll try this on the new motherboard but can't see it working.

Thanks though.

Soldato
You have swapped the motherboard, you have swapped the CPU, only thing you havent swapped is the RAM. I know you tested them in 3/4 but just saying.

Also on my motherboard in the manual it states if I`m using only 16gb (2 x 8gb) then use slot 2 and 4.

Associate
Have you tried reseating the CPU again? And check if there's any crap on the pads/pins, or if any pins are bent? The memory controller is in the CPU.

Permabanned
OP
You have swapped the motherboard, you have swapped the CPU, only thing you havent swapped is the RAM. I know you tested them in 3/4 but just saying.

Also on my motherboard in the manual it states if I`m using only 16gb (2 x 8gb) then use slot 2 and 4.

Yeah, I know they should be in slot 2 and 4, but that doesn't let me boot. Any RAM in slot 1 or 2, in any combination of other RAM slots used, means I cannot boot. I've got some more RAM coming tomorrow, so will test and update with that.

Have you tried reseating the CPU again? And check if there's any crap on the pads/pins, or if any pins are bent? The memory controller is in the CPU.

Reseated the 3700X 3 times and the newer 5800X twice now. Can't see any bent pins, doesn't mean there isn't any, but replacing both the Motherboard and CPU means I'm either fitting something very wrong or... it's another issue.

Appreciate both replies.

Permabanned
OP
So it doesnt work if you put 1 stick of ram in slot 1 and nothing in 2/3/4 ?

Correct. I could then use that same RAM stick, and put it in slot 3 and it boots just fine. If anything is in slot 1 and/or 2, I get a red DRAM light on my motherboard and it just fails to boot.

This occours on my old motherboard with the 3700X and now on the new one with the 5800X.

The RAM in question is 4x Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz 16-18-18-36

Associate
We're clearly doing something wrong here .... !

With yourself, is it slot 1 and 2 that are not working? You tried using a different CPU and checking then?

I can boot with any of the four sticks in A2, but any combination in dual-channel and no joy. New mobo, new PSU, and currently working fine dual channel with my old 2700X in the same board, same RAM
Have a look at my thread in cpu section, the details are in there!
I'm bamboozled by it.

Can run one stick in A2, or two sticks in the two slots nearest cpu - ie single channel. Everything else is a no-go!

Permabanned
OP
I can boot with any of the four sticks in A2, but any combination in dual-channel and no joy. New mobo, new PSU, and currently working fine dual channel with my old 2700X in the same board, same RAM
Have a look at my thread in cpu section, the details are in there!
I'm bamboozled by it.

Can run one stick in A2, or two sticks in the two slots nearest cpu - ie single channel. Everything else is a no-go!

I'm sure you've tried everything already, but checked to make sure your cooler isn't on too tight? That's what fixed this issue for one particular person on reddit ... but not for me :(

Associate
Yes, that is something I've tried. Worked okay for months before failing one day. Cooler barely finger tight (XSPC Raystorm Pro cpu block) and no difference...

I can't afford any more new components. This is doing me in right now. :(

Associate
These sorts of problems are usually a lot easier to diagnose when you have another working pc that you can swap components between. Do you know anyone that has a similar spec PC that you can borrow?

Permabanned
OP
Yes, that is something I've tried. Worked okay for months before failing one day. Cooler barely finger tight (XSPC Raystorm Pro cpu block) and no difference...

I can't afford any more new components. This is doing me in right now. :(

I'll keep you updated if I manage to fix it, and I'm upping the bounty to 2 packs of beer now... !

Permabanned
OP
These sorts of problems are usually a lot easier to diagnose when you have another working pc that you can swap components between. Do you know anyone that has a similar spec PC that you can borrow?

I've swapped components out including; cooler, CPU, GPU, motherboard. Tomorrow the RAM gets swapped out, but I don't have access to another PC to test my own components in.

Associate
Try different RAM

I have the exact same problem as you with one of my rigs which is running a 4770k on an Asus Crosshair mobo and Corsair Vengeance red 4x8gb 2400 memory.

Initially this worked great for more than a year, then i dropped something on the rig (can't remember what it was.. pencil holder maybe but was relatively heavy) and since then, the computer no longer posts with an error code of D6 and the DRAM light on the mobo. Tried everything from reseating CPU, checking for damaged contacts between the CPU and memory slots, trying different ram slots, updating bios, resetting bios to defaults etc etc... and nothing would work.. only adding ram into slot 3 and 4 would work but thats no use.

With a lot of head scratching and prodding, the computer managed to boot with memory in slot 2 and 4, and since then just left it as is. If i had different sticks of memory i could test if that was the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom