1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Random Famous People You Met

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GR63, 19 Sep 2021.

1. ianh

Soldato

"Been within 2m of when they've visited my work place or they've passed me by in the street/festival etc, maybe said Hi at most" - Maybe 30-ish inc Clarkson, lots of Zoo/Nuts models, Katherine Jenkins etc but, to be fair, it's at the very bottom of my "meeting people" idea.

"Actually spoken to for more than 5 minutes" - very few, my most famous would be Boris Johnson when he was still my local Oxfordshire MP back before he swapped to London's Mayor (say 2007-ish). I was invited to a "farmers lunch" by a farmer/mate that I did a lot of amateur pest control for and Boris was also there (only about 15 people IIRC) and, as I'd just got back from yet another Iraq tour he wanted a quick chat which turned into us (well, me mainly :D) talking about Life, the Universe and Everything for nearly 20 mins before he was introduced to someone else. He seemed to be a nice guy but also utterly bonkers, however how much of that is "Real vs done for effect because that's his persona" I've no idea.

2. GR63

Hitman

Oh we sat next to Meera Syal (of Goodness Gracious Me and many other things) on a plane to France. She was lovely and friendly.

3. Rilot

Don

I met Prince Charles when I was at university.
    I sat next to Trent Reznor at dinner in the early 90s because he was friends with someone I was there with
    At that same dinner I sat next to Andrew Braybrook - 5 stars to anyone who remembers who he is
    Had dinner with Alan Rickman in the mid 90s because he was friends with a girl I was dating at the time (he was patron of her dramatics society)

4. GR63

Hitman

Paradroid 90 and other classics.... Braybrook!

5. Rilot

Don

5 internet stars to GR63!
    At that dinner I really couldn't care less about Trent Reznor. I was far more interested in talking to Andrew about Paradroid, AlleyKat, Uridium, Morpheus, etc. etc.

6. TonyLewis

Gangster

Sat next to Sir David Attenborough on a flight a couple of years ago.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2021
  7. dirtychinchilla

Capodecina

I want to know too :(

8. Trig

Mobster

Calum Best.
    Was at a friend's 30's and she'd invited him and a few other semi-famous randoms as she was some sort of talent agent.
    Was stood next to him at the bar and he ordered his drink, I asked him wtf his accent was all about as it sounded odd, had a bit of a chat about his old man and him moving to the states and how he basically gets paid to go places and get free drinks and shag birds, got on quite well with him, kicked his ass at pool, not actually as much of a dick as he comes across on screen.

Also saw Neil Pearson in London as well, was out with a few mates, saw him, pointed and said "ooo its that bloke off of Drop the Dead Donkey, whats his name", and he sort of stood there and smiled waiting for me to get his name, I just said, oh ******** I cant remember and we all carried on with our respective days...

These days its just race drivers I tend to see, or Vernon Kay when out working..

9. a1ex2001

Capodecina

Saw Jarvis cocker out walking in the peaks with his other half during lockdown, he was walking towards us and I said to my misses ‘who does he think he is? Jarvis Cocker?’ Then was like oh crap it is him lol

10. Jean-F

Mobster

And once again, aside from the Nine Inch Nails Guy, I have no idea what someone is talking about, and after Googling, I thank the good Lord that I have f.a. interest in it either.

11. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

You win, you sat next to God.

12. GR63

Hitman

Hey, one man's famous person or interesting topic isn't same as someone elses but live n let live.... ;)

13. Jean-F

Mobster

You’re right, I overreacted there and jumped in without thinking it through, I apologise :(

14. omnomnom

Capodecina

Met Yungblud (pop star lol) virtually and he was an absolute gent. My best friend who is his best friend (also guitar tech) randomly video calls me when he's with him so not set up etc.

I met Jimmy Eat World in Sheffield doing laundry at the laundrette before a gig too. Also Ian Watkins of Lost Prophets fame in Manchester...lets say I wish i didnt have that memory...

15. builder22

Mobster

this sounds dangerous, to say the least :D

16. ianh

Soldato

The professional pests were far more dangerous than the amateur ones :D

Basically ratting, pigeons, myx'ed rabbits etc done in my spare time mostly with an air rifle.

17. Jean-F

Mobster

Proof positive that if you’ve got bundles of dough you lose touch with reality.
    The average Joe wouldn’t dream of using an F/X booth at an airport, you might as well give your money away.

18. builder22

Mobster

edit...doh!

Last edited: 23 Sep 2021
  19. PapaLazaru

Capodecina

Nothing too exciting, but met Matt Littler (Max from Hollyoaks) in a French ski resort I was working in back in 2001. Came into the ski shop for a board and I sorted him and his mate out with some brand new kit. Asked me where was good to go on the slopes and out at night and arranged to meet up. Spent a few days just buzzing about on the slopes and drinking in the evenings. Had a good night on NYE 2001, the other workers where like WTF. Good lad. Funny thing is not once did we speak about the fact he was on TV. He knew I knew, I knew he knew, I think he appreciated it.

Last edited: 23 Sep 2021
  20. drakulton

Wise Guy

I met Charles M Duke Jr, and got his autograph. Also met Dr Who, when he was going through his Jon Pertwee phase.