[Rant] Apple's idea of what the "British" keyboard is

Soldato
Why does Apple give short names/acronyms or symbols for various keys for the British keyboards unlike the American keyboards which has the full names such as the following, fn for function, ctrl for control and cmd for command etc? :p

Sic

Sic

Soldato
because British people are bright enough to figure out what fn and cmd are short for?

dunno what the OP is talking about, unless it's the old @," switcheroo. In which case, get over it.

Soldato
OP
because British people are bright enough to figure out what fn and cmd are short for?

dunno what the OP is talking about, unless it's the old @," switcheroo. In which case, get over it.
The British keyboard is standardised. They shouldn't be calling it a "British layout" keyboard if it isn't that.

I'm talking about the @ and ", the disappearance of the #/~ key, moving of the \ and | key, disappearance of the ¬/`/¦ key.

It isn't a matter of "get over it" (you sound like a fanboy). It is about providing what is advertised.

Soldato
I've had numerous Apple keyboards along with the PC equiv.

Have I ever bothered to complain about it? No.

Infact I like the apple layout better.

Typing on my MBP is a god send, I haven't found a nicer and easier laptop keyboard to type on.

Im hoping the new apple keyboards are just as nice.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
The British keyboard is standardised. They shouldn't be calling it a "British layout" keyboard if it isn't that.

I'm talking about the @ and ", the disappearance of the #/~ key, moving of the \ and | key, disappearance of the ¬/`/¦ key.

It isn't a matter of "get over it" (you sound like a fanboy). It is about providing what is advertised.

The British keyboard may be standardised, but so is the Mac British keyboard. The tilde isnt gone, it has moved, and I much prefer having forward and backslash near to each other. As I've said, the only thing I don't like is the hash key, but it's relatively easy to get used to. Backtick is also still there too. Can't say I've used the others you're talking about.

I could care if I sound like a fanboy. Do your research; if the differing keyboard layouts bother you that much, take your mac back and trade it in for some tissues and cry me a river.

Associate

SWITCHED about a month ago and apart from the @ switcheroo really hadn't noticed any difference...too busy getting off on generally how intuitive the whole setup is :p

As another poster advised; Get over it. A tiny temp inconvenience like this pales into insignificance when you consider what you had to put up with under MS.

Sic

Sic

Soldato
Please. Why does it always have to be a corny holy war?

Some people (myself not included) really switched because Windows is very counter intuitive in places, and they're as entitled to their opinion as the people who just prefer OSX over Windows. I still use 3 OSs on a regular basis and really like all of them.

Soldato
I think it was a metaphor :)

Regardless of whether OS X is a god OS or not, Apple shouldn't arbitrarily change keyboard layouts. What next, Dvorak?

Soldato
Heh.

All this argument is who starts with which format first.

I started with both when I was 5. A good 14 years ago. MBP layout wins for me. I haven't tried the new apple wired keyboard so I wait to see if thats any good compared to my trusty old noisy dell PS2 KB :D

Soldato
OP
Some people (myself not included) really switched because Windows is very counter intuitive in places, and they're as entitled to their opinion as the people who just prefer OSX over Windows. I still use 3 OSs on a regular basis and really like all of them.
Why is the keyboard an OS issue all of a sudden?

Back
Top Bottom