• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Associate
Just leaving this here.

Biostar first to list Z790 and B760 motherboards for Raptor Lake CPUs

At least we know that the life span of Z690/B660 is going to be short. They claim they (Z790 names) aren't real, but heh this is Intel we are talking about, a new motherboard every time you get a fresh pint of milk would be the norm if they could. :p

RPL will be backwards compatible with 6xx series. I'm not too sure the issue with having a new chipset personally.

If anything, it'll help DDR5 ecosystem mature faster.

Soldato
RPL will be backwards compatible with 6xx series. I'm not too sure the issue with having a new chipset personally.

If anything, it'll help DDR5 ecosystem mature faster.

It's a pain the the bottom, more SKU's to remember, more specs to put somewhere in my head, more option when designing. I get it though, I've been doing this a loooong time now, but sometimes I wish they'd take a year off, it's so nice doing the commercial/industrial stuff that has like one chipset every few years. Not everyone is just an enthusiast.

Caporegime
I'm assuming there will be some limitations to using a RL chip on a 6 series motherboard. It's all going to depend on what those limitations are.

I've been out of the loop for a few years now, so can anyone fill me in on the last Intel series with backwards compatibility that didn't have any limitations?

Soldato
OP
Golden Cove cores with more cache... I can see this performing reasonably well and actually being feasible. I hope they don't go overboard on the E-Cores though...

It's a logical upgrade, that they will need to out perform the increased cache of the 5800X3D. If they can push up the clocks really high as well, maybe they won't be miles away from Zen 4's performance (at least, upto 8 cores).

I think the new 700 series motherboards will add new power features most likely, nothing too dramatic in terms of performance. It will probably just allow Raptor Lake CPUs to run at a slightly lower voltage (most of the time).

Last edited:
Soldato
Just leaving this here.

Biostar first to list Z790 and B760 motherboards for Raptor Lake CPUs

At least we know that the life span of Z690/B660 is going to be short. They claim they (Z790 names) aren't real, but heh this is Intel we are talking about, a new motherboard every time you get a fresh pint of milk would be the norm if they could. :p

I get that innovation never stops but Intels actions are exactly why I straight up never recommend Intel to any friends/family when they are upgrading, Intel replace their products way too fast, A little over 2 months into the life cycle of AL and we can already see RL coming out shortly, That's taking the piddle.

Soldato
I get that innovation never stops but Intels actions are exactly why I straight up never recommend Intel to any friends/family when they are upgrading, Intel replace their products way too fast, A little over 2 months into the life cycle of AL and we can already see RL coming out shortly, That's taking the piddle.

i love to see it, keep that innovation train going.

I would rather see rapidinnovation than be stuck with the same skylake Intel quad cores like we had for 5 years straight.

While I'm happy to try any brand, I always recommend Intel to non techy family - they simply don't care that something faster is 6 months away, they want something to browse YouTube and Facebook with and Intel simply has the best reliability

Soldato
i love to see it, keep that innovation train going.

I would rather see rapidinnovation than be stuck with the same skylake Intel quad cores like we had for 5 years straight

Innovation is fine but rapid replacement where you are replacing your chips that you literally just brought out 2 months ago is taking the piddle.

Soldato
Just because a new CPU comes out it doesn't make your old one go any slower, just buy the best CPU you can at the time and worry less about what's around the corner.

Soldato
Innovation is fine but rapid replacement where you are replacing your chips that you literally just brought out 2 months ago is taking the piddle.

As long as the super-awesome-tech-thing I bought works as it was claimed to work at the time I purchased it, I'm okay if something better comes out next week....and then again the week after that and so on.

I guess it becomes a problem if the tech was purchased as some sort of status symbol. Then maintaing top-status would become both expensive and tiresome.

Soldato
whaaaaat? raptorlake will require new mobo? it cant work with alderlake boards???

Nothing certain out yet. Could be that Z690 is compatible (as per many leaks) but doesn't enable the new "Digital Linear Voltage Regulator (D-LVR)" feature, or could be that z790 is required.

Hoping for more benchmarks/leaks soon, we've seen engineering samples already, so can't be long!

Soldato
Nothing certain out yet. Could be that Z690 is compatible (as per many leaks) but doesn't enable the new "Digital Linear Voltage Regulator (D-LVR)" feature, or could be that z790 is required.

Hoping for more benchmarks/leaks soon, we've seen engineering samples already, so can't be long!

If it's soon like in 1-2 months, Alderlake will have the shortest shelf life of any product Intel have released in over 10 years, 4'ish months, I wonder if that's going to be their plan going forward to release a brand new gen and chipset every 4 months.

Associate
whaaaaat? raptorlake will require new mobo? it cant work with alderlake boards???
Intel has not passed an opportunity to release new series of chipset with every CPU update. ANd update socket pins for no reason every two updates. Even when they were doing endless Skylake refreshes
Altho in this case the timing makes it even more awkward. Z690 should have all the latest bells and whistles already. Would be really tricky to justify an updated chipset

Soldato
Seems the Intel are looking to offset the lost CPU sales revenue with not only its range of Arc GPUs but chipsets too. For many years Intels chipsets business revenue was bigger than AMD and Nvidia combined.

Maybe shareholders are now asking pointy PVC questions not only about the CPU business but also the chipsets side of the market.

Associate
I think most people will be disappointed with Raptor Lake, small improvements and new chipset required. Every tech leaker believes Zen 4 will demolish Raptor Lake, and AM5 will offer much longer support.

Soldato

Won't the new voltage controller be on the cpu? Don't see why a new mobo would be required Raptor lake will run on z690

Back
Top Bottom