• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

G J

G J

Associate
Well tbh he has a point though AMD didnt give more cores out of the goodness of their hearts they pretty much had no choice.

Same with Intel the 8700K/6 cores came along stupidly quick on a new socket (which wasnt really a new socket) around 6 months I think after the 7700K because of AMD.

Sad to see posters that so easily get tilted/trolled by another that does pretty much what they do themselves but now its a problem. Welcome to what people have to deal with when you do it, it may be not as bad but still some of you are fully aware of what youre doing.

Associate
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189 lower launch prices of ADL didn't help Intel much, AMD still dominates in major retailers, and the fact that RPL is the last cpu of that platform won't help either. Zen 3 is perfect example of successful product, at launch it had high prices, and despite that it beat very good performance/price ratio comet lake, and RKL in sales, and also it had leading performance in ST and MT workloads. Intel CEO desperately wants to copy Zen 3 success but what they could now? lower prices didn't help them, and platform will be soon EOL.

edit: AMD released today cheaper Zen 3 products, it will help them even more to retain/ get new users till zen 4.

Associate
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computer-CPU-Processors/zgbs/pc/229189 lower launch prices of ADL didn't help Intel much, AMD still dominates in major retailers, and the fact that RPL is the last cpu of that platform won't help either. Zen 3 is perfect example of successful product, at launch it had high prices, and despite that it beat very good performance/price ratio comet lake, and RKL in sales, and also it had leading performance in ST and MT workloads. Intel CEO desperately wants to copy Zen 3 success but what they could now? lower prices didn't help them, and platform will be soon EOL.

edit: AMD released today cheaper Zen 3 products, it will help them even more to retain/ get new users till zen 4.

The 5950x is my first AMD cpu since the phenom cpu's and the experience has been terrible, lot's of bugs on the chipset, performance issues at the start of windows 11.

You'd think most bugs would be ironed out on a processor and chipset that's been around for sometime.

The overclocking with PBO curve optimiser has also been too involved and complicated.

It's made me re-consider my next processor choice that's for sure.

The only reason I'm not going Intel just yet is I think Raptor lake will be a better bet, the fact it will be end of life on the socket isn't a problem as I change regularly anyway.

You make it seem like AMD are untouchable but they've not had the control of the market Intel had for that length of time, and Intel still crumbled so AMD aren't safe.

The 12th gen is finally a return to form for Intel and Zen 4 vs Raptor lake will be interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
The 5950x is my first AMD cpu since the phenom cpu's and the experience has been terrible, lot's of bugs on the chipset, performance issues at the start of windows 11.

You'd think most bugs would be ironed out on a processor and chipset that's been around for sometime.

The overclocking with PBO curve optimiser has also been too involved and complicated.

It's made me re-consider my next processor choice that's for sure.

The only reason I'm not going Intel just yet is I think Raptor lake will be a better bet, the fact it will be end of life on the socket isn't a problem as I change regularly anyway.

You make it seem like AMD are untouchable but they've not had the control of the market Intel had for that length of time, and Intel still crumbled so AMD aren't safe.

The 12th gen is finally a return to form for Intel and Zen 4 vs Raptor lake will be interesting.

I just hope AMD take as long as they need for Zen4 to be an excellent, stable platform from day one. I hope they don't rush it to complete with ADL, RPL. BIOS needs to be rock solid stable from launch day, compatibility with available DDR5 kits needs to be already tuned, XMP profiles all ready to rock.

They'll gain more in the long term by having a stable, reliable product at launch, rather than rushing to beat Intel to the market by a few weeks/months IMO.

Associate
I just hope AMD take as long as they need for Zen4 to be an excellent, stable platform from day one. I hope they don't rush it to complete with ADL, RPL. BIOS needs to be rock solid stable from launch day, compatibility with available DDR5 kits needs to be already tuned, XMP profiles all ready to rock.

They'll gain more in the long term by having a stable, reliable product at launch, rather than rushing to beat Intel to the market by a few weeks/months IMO.

You're absolutely right.

I'm cautious as it seems AMD break something or another with each Agesa update.

I know intel aren't immune from issues, alderlake had a couple at launch with game compatibility etc but from memory Intel were never as bad but I could be mis-remembering lol.

Soldato

Again with the sales numbers....Do you want hardware that performs or hardware that's popular?

I personally don't buy hardware just because I think "All the cool kids are doing it."

What does it cost?

How does it perform?

That's what matters.

"Is it popular?" Isn't on my radar.

"...But our sales numbers are good." Is the kind of thing AMD would say on an investor call. Sales numbers don't make me want to spend more money so that I can get less performance.

Last edited:
Soldato
Having great sales numbers, I hope that doesn't include the overpriced 5800x at launch, would only give AMD incentive to price their next chips higher again and only make Intel more attractive.

Last time they rewarded us with no 5700x at launch.

Associate
Having great sales numbers, I hope that doesn't include the overpriced 5800x at launch, would only give AMD incentive to price their next chips higher again and only make Intel more attractive.

Last time they rewarded us with no 5700x at launch.
Zen 4 with leading gaming performance will have higher prices no doubt, but as i said, Zen 3 had excellent sales despite high prices and very good performance/price ratio of comet lake, and with AM5 you have longevity while Intel platform is dead this year.

Associate
Zen 4 with leading gaming performance will have higher prices no doubt, but as i said, Zen 3 had excellent sales despite high prices and very good performance/price ratio of comet lake, and with AM5 you have longevity while Intel platform is dead this year.

Will it have leading gaming performance? The Zen 3 processors weren't actually leading for gaming. But they were good enough with other benefits such as performance in other areas.

Whereas Intel are the best for gaming currently but just good enough in other areas like mutli-threaded applications etc.

Man of Honour
Will it have leading gaming performance? The Zen 3 processors weren't actually leading for gaming. But they were good enough with other benefits such as performance in other areas.

Whereas Intel are the best for gaming currently but just good enough in other areas like mutli-threaded applications etc.

As far as I can remember, Zen 2 finally caught up to Skylake cores, but not convincingly so (because Intel just clocked them faster). Zen 3 beats all the 10th gen CPUs, except for the i9 which is sometimes faster (believed to be because of the cache). 11th gen is generally slower Zen 3, but using fast memory and unlocking power limits makes things far messier. Alder Lake with E cores beats Zen 3 in many productivity benchmarks, but the high-end Zen 3 CPUs are more efficient.

Associate
Couple of articles are implying in spec tables that the Raptor Lake i5s are going to have efficiency cores as well as performance. Why is everyone talking about the voltage regulator and the cache and not this?!

Soldato
Ah I thought Intel were still ahead in gaming with their previous 900K processors e.g 10900k as the single core was still stronger.
The 10900k was ahead in gaming, provided you took advantage of that insane imc that can reach ddr 4 speed of 4400c16. On stock though yeah, zen 3 was beating it, although only slightly.

Soldato
Zen 3 were leading game performance for the most part, certainly out of the box performance. 10th gen was better in some games if you spent time/money overclocking and tweaking cache and memory.

Back
Top Bottom