• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raptor Lake Leaks + Intel 4 developments

Soldato
Well the hyper evo 212 struggled with my 10700KF, reaching the thermal limits in Prime95. It's not really fit to be used for many modern 8 core CPUs, in my opinion. Might've just needed new thermal paste though?

Works perfectly fine installed in my brother's PC, which has a 6 core i5 8400.
Yeah for prime you'd want something a bit better but for gaming only literally any £20+ cooler would do the job.

Soldato
Well, the most power I've seen it consume was 140-145w in Prime95, so the EVO 212 was pretty marginal (it was enough for gaming though). This was with the clocks at 4.6ghz. With a better motherboard though, I'm sure it would draw more power than that.

No matter now though, you can get decent air coolers now for around £50, that work on AM4/AM5 and LGA1700. Probably only need something higher end if you buy a 12900K or 13900K.

Running right up against the cooling capacity doesn't mean you'll be getting good temps - if a cooler is rated for 150w and your cpu is pulling 150w your temps are gonna be in the 80s or 90s. If you want good temps you have to oversize your cooling capacity vs heat output.

A Noctua NHD15 has a 220w cooling capacity, that is the cooler you want to buy if you want to see low temps on a 10700k

Soldato
OP
I bought a Deepcool AK620 for £48, it's handling my current CPU nicely. Noctua seems a bit expensive, so it's good to see some competition.

There's also the higher end Assassin 3, but that tends to be priced at £60-£80

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
An interesting summary of 13th gen K CPU performance:

It looks like the 13th gen i9 chips are a bit faster in games, in theory. Maybe there will be a boost in less graphically intensive games, or running at lower resolutions?

I suspect it will come down to power limits and total power consumption.

I wonder if Intel is going to be more overt with their marketing for the 13th gen, soon?

Perhaps they will focus on minimum framerate improvements, which appear quite large in a few titles:

EDIT - these are some weird results at 1080p, you'd expect the minimum FPS to be higher at a lower resolution. Probably an anomaly.

Some of the performance difference may just be related to the increase in clock frequency (although I don't think this would account fully for the difference seen at 1080p and 1440p).

If the performance benefit is mostly related to an increase in L3 cache, the 13900 (non K - Which will have same cache config as the unlocked chip) could be a worthwhile upgrade for some gamers (assuming good DDR5 RAM is used). Maybe the increase in L2 cache might give a boost to the rest of the series too?

EDIT#2 - It doesn't look like the L2 cache increase makes much difference to min. framerate, based on this 12600K /13600K comparison (RDR2):

But, if it's anything like the 12th gen launch, we won't see the locked CPUs and motherboards until a few months after the main launch, so probably January 2023.

Last edited:
Caporegime
An interesting summary of 13th gen K CPU performance:
why do they bother trying to compare cpu but then running the game at
the Crazy_4K preset was used.
when it's obviously going to be GPU hitting a wall anyway

Soldato
OP
The 13900k is 40 fps ahead in ashes according to that link. Ashes measures CPU performance separately so it doesn't matter what resolution it is running at
That is a theoretical performance figure.

This is what the article says about that "The CPU Frametime is the theoretical maximum number of frames a second that your CPU produces without being GPU-bound".

Perhaps there could be this kind of improvement for games that effectively utilize all CPU cores efficiently.

Associate
Could all be a moot point based on Intels product launch dates slipping so fast, GPU market , server market, only a matter of time before it hits desktop CPU

Soldato
OP
I like how people are still hoping the 13th gen will be a large upgrade vs the 12th, despite the fact that in most cases, you will need the technical equivalent of a magnifying glass, to spot the difference in most real world tasks and games.

The only thing I'd say is notable, is the increase in L3 cache for the i9s, which seems to help with framerate stability in some games like RDR2.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure tbh. Looking at this diagram, it looks like the L3 cache per P-core will be 3MB. On Alder Lake, Anandtech's analysis said that there is 2.5MB L3 cache per P-core on the 12th gen. Link here:

So, I don't know if the 3MB per core would apply to the 13700K / i7s. It's not a large improvement if it does though.

EDIT - So, apparently the 13700K has the same amount of L3 cache (30MB) for the P-cores and E-cores as the 12900K:

Total L3 cache for the 12900K mentioned here:

This might be wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

Last edited:
Soldato
This might be wrong though, so feel free to correct me.

I'd rather let you carry on with your master plan, which is what I can only assume is totally trolling your future self*. :cry:

*Based on historical data only, may not meet future reality and at any point in time I can change my mind and deny this was ever said.

Soldato
OP
We need to see the final specs really, clearly Intel just isn't ready to talk about the 13th gen yet, they need to be gently persuaded into it. Lets face it, 'leaks' are usually based on guesswork, exaggeration or poorly interpreted information.

What kind of strategy is it, where a company confirms no specifics about their product, not even the launch date? Intel still has the edge for now with the 12th gen, so they don't have to change anything.

Last edited:
Caporegime
What kind of strategy is it, where a company confirms no specifics about their product, not even the launch date? I
not sure if serious.

AMD announced a release date? they confirmed specs? Nvidia don't either, seems like it's totally normal.
don't Intel usually have some event in September

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yes, IPC +8%, upto 16 cores, an increase in cache. 1:1 infinity fabric also confirmed (exact supported frequencies not).
so nothing that intel hasnt came out with them, isn't there already leaked engineering examples of intel cpus anyway so people know roughly what to expect

Back
Top Bottom