Rate my prints - How are these?

Commissario
My Prusa MINI+ was delivered on Friday and of course, it's been running almost continually since.

How do these look?

Is that what I should expect from first and last layers?

Remember these pictures are close up and with the light angled to show most detail.

First layer
MRsXK7f.jpeg

Last layer
JCEfoMX.jpeg

Sides are pretty good
ARNLwlu.jpeg

This is the clip, I printed at 0.15 and 40%.

Printed using Prusament PLA

Soldato
First layer showing nozzle is too far away from the bed. You'll need to adjust the Z offset to lower the nozzle down a touch, I'm not familiar with the Prusia printers but there's usually an option in the menu for Z offset. The best way to adjust it is have the option open on the menu as the first layer is going down, and lower it gradually until the filament has a nice squash on it, lines of filament on the bed next to each other should merge together.

Once dialled in the bottom layer should look as good as the top layer.

Commissario
OP
Is the red meant to be joined?
At the clip end? No, neither of them are joined there, the clip can open.

Yup that's the one you want. If you find your first layer starts getting lumpy at all then it's probably too close. It's one of those things you just get an eye for with experience.
Have dropped it a fraction further and it's looking better, thanks.

Soldato
Also make first layer slightly thicker. E.g. 2.4 first layer height (If using .4 nozzle).

Have you calibrated e steps? (Amount of filament commanded vs what actually comes out the extruder).

Commissario
OP
Actually just lowering it a fraction further made a huge difference, thanks. I've not calibrated e steps - The printer instructions say it shouldn't be needed out of the box and I don't really have any way to accurately measure it anyway.

Soldato
As per everyone else you need a bit of Z-Offset in your slicer or physically adjust your Z-Offset. If you're using superslicer (Pretty much the best and free) run the calibration tests and you can get it dialled in.

Soldato
Generally z layer heights are done in 0.04 intervals.

0.04, 0.08, 0.12, 0.16, 0.2mm

So on so fourth.

It's to do with the stepper motor.

If you do it in 0.05 increments you will get layers that are bigger or small at various times.

Soldato
That's not true for all printers needing to be 0.04mm intervals. It's calculated by the the steps in the stepper motor and the thread pitch of the lead screw. The idea is that you don't want to be printing at a height which is between steps. But in reality, the majority of printers are perfectly capable of microstepping which divides full steps into a smaller steps, therefore is a non issue really. I'd imagine a company like Prusia that build the hardware and software are full aware of this and the presets are set knowing that it's not an issue :)

Soldato
That's not true for all printers needing to be 0.04mm intervals. It's calculated by the the steps in the stepper motor and the thread pitch of the lead screw. The idea is that you don't want to be printing at a height which is between steps. But in reality, the majority of printers are perfectly capable of microstepping which divides full steps into a smaller steps, therefore is a non issue really. I'd imagine a company like Prusia that build the hardware and software are full aware of this and the presets are set knowing that it's not an issue :)
Micro stepping doesn't fix the physical limitation of a 1.8 degree stepper motor.

Soldato
Micro stepping doesn't fix the physical limitation of a 1.8 degree stepper motor.

Doesn't fix the physical limitation but allows it to have up to 256 steps per 1.8 degree although 16 steps is seen to be the best balance of resolution and holding torque. In reality it is mostly used for smoothing rather than resolution. The best way to improve resolution is with gearing as this increases resolution and holding torque :D

Back
Top Bottom