Rather confused with memory speeds with my 2700x

Associate
I have a 2700x and the 8pack 3600mhz DDR4. Now when i enable the XMP profile it works but every so often i get computer freezes meaning its clearly not stable at that high speed. Now, what speed could i try instead of 3600? are there steps in the speed of RAM that i should stick to? I feel a bump down a little will be enough but by default its running at 2400mhz which isnt ideal

Associate
Tbh 3600 is right on the edge of what the 2700X can handle. 3200 is generally pretty safe (at least now, anyway- early days were a bit ropey!).

RAM speed governs how fast the 'infinity fabric' in the chip runs- and most will start to trip over past 3466 or so.
3xxx series have better memory controllers than the 2xxx series.

Try moving your RAM voltage to 1.37-1.38v from the 1.35 it should be set on, and perhaps a +0.15v offset on SOC voltage (memory controller amongst other things) to help things out.

Failing that, you should be able to run 3200 or 3466 at a good fast latency, even if 3600 is out of reach.

Associate
OP
Tbh 3600 is right on the edge of what the 2700X can handle. 3200 is generally pretty safe (at least now, anyway- early days were a bit ropey!).

RAM speed governs how fast the 'infinity fabric' in the chip runs- and most will start to trip over past 3466 or so.
3xxx series have better memory controllers than the 2xxx series.

Try moving your RAM voltage to 1.37-1.38v from the 1.35 it should be set on, and perhaps a +0.15v offset on SOC voltage (memory controller amongst other things) to help things out.

Failing that, you should be able to run 3200 or 3466 at a good fast latency, even if 3600 is out of reach.
Thanks, all i did was go into the bios and set it to 3400mhz instead of the 2400 it was sitting it, changed nothing else and now it works a treat! No idea if it made my PC any faster, maybe not enough to see? But either way its better than 2400 im sure!

Associate
Well, i learn something new every day.

I've been having a little difficulty with some Corsair 3600 C18 stuff. Battlefield 5 crashing to desktop, the odd freeze etc. I was blaming my RX5700, which I changed about the same time. Last night tried clocking the RAM down to 3400mhz, with timing the same and I *think* it might have improved. I had no idea about this. Thanks for the knowledge. I too have a 2700X btw.

Caporegime
Make sure you have the ram on the right slots, I don't know if it's the case for all boards but I know the x570 ones state you need to populate b1 and B2 first.

Associate
Make sure you have the ram on the right slots, I don't know if it's the case for all boards but I know the x570 ones state you need to populate b1 and B2 first.
Yes, was same with B450.

Worth mentioning i'm a bit of a plonker because the RAM i got isn't listed as AMD compatible by Corsair. However, lot's of mobo manufacturers say it works.

Associate
yeah i just got the 32GB Corsair DDR4 Vengeance RGB PRO Black CMW32GX4M2Z3600C18 for my MSI MPG Gaming Edge WIFI motherboard and Ryzen 2700X, i cant get it to run any faster that 2666Mhz it just freezes on post, its now got to the point where i had to take the ram out, if i change any settings with the ram or game boost it wont boot freezes at post all the debug lights go out like there is no fault, if i press delete to enter the with the ram in it locks up so i have to reset the cmos every time i need to change or try a new setting in the bios even if the system just booted fine, leave the system alone its ok try and make it run at any other speed than 2666 it dies on my lol i would not be bothered so much but its running 1000Mhz slower that its supposed to, system workes perfect with my brothers Intel tuned 16GB 3200Mhz lol just my luck this is

Associate
Well, i learn something new every day.

I've been having a little difficulty with some Corsair 3600 C18 stuff. Battlefield 5 crashing to desktop, the odd freeze etc. I was blaming my RX5700, which I changed about the same time. Last night tried clocking the RAM down to 3400mhz, with timing the same and I *think* it might have improved. I had no idea about this. Thanks for the knowledge. I too have a 2700X btw.

Not surprised. As I said above, 3600 is what the 3xxx series chips are cruising at, with their improved memory controller.
While some 2700Xs would do 3600, it really is pushing it, especially with 'not the best' RAM.

Personally I'd try running it at 3200 and drop the latency to c14 and see how it goes.

Also applicable to GIGARAM's post. Try somewhere around 3200, then perhaps work on tuning the latency if everything runs well.
Ryzen 2xxx is finicky with RAM, it really likes Samsung b-die, which was available mainly at 3200/c14. Other manufacturer's chips (such as Hynix), carried a slower latency at 3200/c16, and these caused no end of issues for people.

Associate
Not surprised. As I said above, 3600 is what the 3xxx series chips are cruising at, with their improved memory controller.
While some 2700Xs would do 3600, it really is pushing it, especially with 'not the best' RAM.

Personally I'd try running it at 3200 and drop the latency to c14 and see how it goes.

Also applicable to GIGARAM's post. Try somewhere around 3200, then perhaps work on tuning the latency if everything runs well.
Ryzen 2xxx is finicky with RAM, it really likes Samsung b-die, which was available mainly at 3200/c14. Other manufacturer's chips (such as Hynix), carried a slower latency at 3200/c16, and these caused no end of issues for people.

i have managed to get it running at 2960 using ryzen master i will be trying to go higher but it baby steps lol, i still cant get into the bios lol everytime i press the delete key it locks up but im keeping the ram as it wont be long until i get the 3900X

Associate
3466cl14 stable was the best I managed on my 2700x.

well i just tried again starting at 3466Mhz working my way down to a stable memory underclock (first time ive ever had to underclock ram) but same thing had to clear cmos after every try cus my system would not boot or it froze every time i pressed delete, the best i can get with this mobo and chip is 3066Mhz so im done with it, time put this lot in the bin and go back to intel, this is the last time i will ever have an amd system never had this much trouble with ram on any intel system ive built in over 25 years

Associate
yup its on the latest bios that was th first thing i did when i got lol it works fine with my brothers crappy old ddr 4 3200Mhz 16GB just not with this uber stuff lol, so its back to intel for me i just wana play game and kick ass not play with ram timings for 8 hours a day lol

Back
Top Bottom