• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ray tracing re-shader for any gpu and game

Soldato
So there is a path tracing reshader being worked on by the same person that coded ansel and the filters that you see in the nvidia overlay for gforce experience.
It works on any game that is not dx12 or vulcan currently and although not as complex as dxr, it has similar results and functionalities.

https://www.patreon.com/mcflypg

Interesting to see if anyone had this already, as its only in an alpha state. It looks promising and would love to know how it performs on amd and in games.

Soldato
Thing about this is that there's always going to be noise issues, especially evident in direct light. Performance depends on how you set it up. In some games it works nicely, in others - not so much. Also not compatible with HDR (like reshade in general).

You can see in this video I took here (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mLKTYAV7V7I8RSLjkcb0SYTBjmtETp-3) that it's basically at 10fps at best at 4K with a V64, but iirc this was with the setting maxed out. You don't necessarily need to do that but either way it's going to be difficult to run in newer games at 4K above 30 fps, especially with anything less than a 2080 ti. Of course, Odyssey was always going to be hard to run with it anyway.

I think below 4K it could definitely be usable from a performance stand-point but the noise is too bothersome sometimes.

You can see some comparison shots for DXMD here: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32842319

edit: for older games check this guy out he runs it with a 1060

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXabhS9Co7-2S3gIvW3GVZQ

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Problem is so many games weren't designed for ray tracing and/or use non-standard lighting tricks, etc. there will likely only be a small number of games that really work well with it and maybe some others if there are people who hand craft profiles, etc. for them on a level by level basis and so on.

Also a big part of what makes ray tracing good (though having proper dynamic shadows is a big plus) is the lighting detail on various different types of surface material.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Thing about this is that there's always going to be noise issues, especially evident in direct light. Performance depends on how you set it up. In some games it works nicely, in others - not so much. Also not compatible with HDR (like reshade in general).

The noise issues can be reduced to a much more organic feel that is easy to ignore or not even notice with games that are designed for path tracing and higher framerates - it is much more noticeable at around 10 FPS or lower because of the way the samples are gathered temporally. The latest version of the denoiser nVidia was using seems to be fairly competent as well and producing results far higher than I thought was possible albeit still not perfect.

Soldato
Not sure RT actually makes anything looks better, just slightly different. You can't really see the difference unless you're making side by side comparisons. It's a huge FPS hit for very little at the moment.

Soldato
This is not real ray tracing, next!

This is an artificial screen space filter that makes most games look worse

Man of Honour
When you are just replacing the stock lighting with path tracing though it isn't really very impressive or even that useful unless you can extend the range of dynamic light/shadows to objects, etc. that don't normally collect light in a game due to the limits of traditional lighting techniques and even then the FPS hit isn't really worth it for that - it is much more worthwhile when you have materials that are updated to take advantage of path/ray tracing, indirect light and other global illumination, caustics and accurate reflections etc. like is possible with Quake 2 RTX:

bwlwwmU.jpg

Soldato
OP
Ray tracing wise what am I supposed to be looking at, I struggle to notice any difference between on (ultra) and off on Metro Exodus,
I couldn't either when I was in the desert level. Make sure you restart the game after enabling it and wait for a sunrise or a level with lots of spot lights, fire and moon light. You will lose many fps but gain much eye candy.

Soldato
Ray tracing wise what am I supposed to be looking at, I struggle to notice any difference between on (ultra) and off on Metro Exodus,

The most obvious changes are near occlusions, or when normally lighting hasn't been optimised much in more remote areas.

Back
Top Bottom