• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Raytracing - Would you buy in to it now?

Caporegime
RT in cyberpunk is something that has blown me away. Look beyond the bugs of the game and anyone who has run it with Raytracing on has to be impressed. Static screens don't do it justice in truth but playing in UW (3440x1440) had my jaw on my keyboard (normally one of my many chins) and turning RT off and back on brings a smile again to my face.

Now that the gentlemen's relish is wiped off the KB, prior to CP2077, Control and Metro Exodus were the showcases for me and I could see back then what a difference it could make. Soooooooo, Would you buy a GPU for Raytracing now? I understand AMD don't have it in CP2077 as of yet but they will, so would that sway your decision?

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

No.

Even with a 3080 I don't think it's worth the performance penalty and I don't like the compromises DLSS brings in order to get the frame rate up (I can really notice the resulting noisy textures etc).

Maybe next gen.

Caporegime
OP
No.

Even with a 3080 I don't think it's worth the performance penalty and I don't like the compromises DLSS brings in order to get the frame rate up (I can really notice the resulting noisy textures etc).

Maybe next gen.
Fair answer bud and I understand. It is a shame it does cost a chunk of fps but yea, future iterations will bring more advancements.

Associate
The performance impact just isn't worth it for me I'd rather have 144fps at 1440p than sub 60fps.

Give it a couple of gen and I think it will be there

Man of Honour
Playing through Cyberpunk at the moment - Don't have an RTX gpu and don't really feel like I am missing out. TBH I am not buying with RT even in mind. TBH the game without some sort of scaling tech is a bit of a hog on even a decent system at higher resolutions. Am playing through at 3440x1440 native with a mix of settings and averaging somewhere around 50fps.

Associate
I would not. Because i think that since the technology is new, the ray tracing is used more than it should in every game and that makes the games to look very unrealistic. Every floor is polished, every street if wet and filled with puddles etc. I like the technology, i don't like how they are using it in games. I would like it more if it was more discrete ( especially the reflections ).
And i don't like the fact that you have to rely in AI upscaling to use it. I don't care about what Nvidia cheerleaders are saying, i want to be able to play at native resolutions. I would rather play at native 1080p than 4k DLSS. Not because of the visual bugs, there will always be visual bugs but i don't need the AI to "guess" how the 4k should look like. Even if it does a nice job at "guessing" most of the time.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I’d pay it for a game that actually had some substance or perhaps a time when we had several decent games to use it on. As it stands, no, I’m not paying £700 plus for one game.

Not tried it yet so don't know if I'm missing anything, getting a ps5 so interested to see how the consoles handle it

They don’t at the moment, hopefully the next gen patch releases next year.

Caporegime
OP
Playing through Cyberpunk at the moment - Don't have an RTX gpu and don't really feel like I am missing out. TBH I am not buying with RT even in mind. TBH the game without some sort of scaling tech is a bit of a hog on even a decent system at higher resolutions. Am playing through at 3440x1440 native with a mix of settings and averaging somewhere around 50fps.
With RT on ultra and pretty much most set to high, I sit at roughly 55 fps roughly on a 2080Ti, which I was massively impressed with. There was a mission with so many people around, I had to turn RT off, as it was dropping to 15 fps at time but even with it off, I still got drops to 20 fps. The game does look sweet without RT in truth but with just makes me smile. I am old (50 next week), so maybe coming from the Amiga days and seeing the potential for RT back then, I am a little biased towards it but it is a game changer to me.

Soldato
Not until next gen really, to much of a hit but Cyberpunk look good at night with it on so it has interested me some what more now.

This time next year with new cards coming out around that time we hopefully see more games coming out with RT.

Soldato
I did, but frankly I kinda wish I never sold my Vega and wouldn't have went for months with a weaker GPU instead and now, after having played through all available RT games I can safely say the only one I would've regretted not playing through with RT is Metro: Exodus. Even Cyberpunk (tried on a different rig), which is what I upgraded for, it's really not a game changer simply because the game is visually busy enough as it is so during normal gameplay I can count on one hand the moment where I really noticed RT (this was eg Peralezs' ship, for reflections, and then for shadows because you tend to notice when they're buggier without RT on occasion) and then to top it off it's a much shorter game than I anticipated & frankly not so great that I'll want to keep re-playing before they work on it another 2 years (if they do).

So for me RT right now is either attached to games I care little about, or the effect is a negative-value-add (BF V, W:YB), or the game is busy enough visually that it just doesn't make enough of a difference (Control, CP2077). The only true winner in my book is with Metro: Exodus. We'll see how things change but for now I just don't care anymore. There's still the upgrade for The Witcher 3 on the horizon though, so I look forward to that.

The most important tech upgrades I'm looking forward to are IO & streaming related though. It just kills me that games like CP2077 and Control have so many "advanced" features like RT out the wazoo but still fail to let you load textures properly, it's a joke. Not that it's just them, mind you, certainly it plagues every open world game I know with maybe the exception of RDR 2 but there unfortunately the overall texture quality is lower to begin with. Actually, I'd say WD:L does the best in this respect, and is the best looking open world game as far as textures & geometry goes, at least right now.

All in all - meh. I'm sure it will get better (esp for games selection) with time but we'll be on RDNA 3 by then.

Caporegime
I can't say for sure as I haven't experienced it aside from only viewing compressed YouTube videos, but I don't think I would buy a card specifically for RT,
as it doesn't seem to be used widely enough yet, as well as delivering a huge cost to performance.

Soldato
i game at 1080p with vsync on at 60fps, if a card can do RT on and keep me at 60fps then id like to have the feature.
i dont usually go back to play old games so if im gonna play a game id like to have all the bells and whistles on to get the full experience.

Pet Northerner
Don
Not right now. At the moment the "nicest" looking games seem to throw it right in your face - lots of reflective surfaces, like everything is marble, chrome etc. Lots and lots of puddles to reflect neon off etc.

It's nice n all but I think it'lll look best in the future when the hype dies down and it just allows thins to be a little more realistic without dictating the art direction of a game.

Caporegime
For me the 3rd gen rule is pretty much always proved right, new tech seems to start to mature after 3 iterations and it looks to be the same for RT atm. I'm looking forward to the next gen and the promise that it brings :cool:

Caporegime
Nope, it's still a few years off being the "must have" feature, when the performance drops are negligible then it's something worth looking at. Right now it's a framerate muncher for a few reflections and shadows, not worth the trade off currently imo.

Back
Top Bottom