RC cars

Soldato
Now you have the little-kid ranges, then a *few* slightly better models, then it's into the expensive adult hobby side of things. It seems to be the £60-120 segment that has thinned out.
There are some decent RC cars in the £100-£200 price range. Usually the brushed models are around £100, then the same model in brushless version is £200. The problem is they aren't readily available from a local toy store and you need a little knowledge of the technology to understand what you are buying.

I've got a couple of new RC cars coming tomorrow ; one for my 8 year old and another for me - pics to follow :)

Don
There are some decent RC cars in the £100-£200 price range. Usually the brushed models are around £100, then the same model in brushless version is £200. The problem is they aren't readily available from a local toy store and you need a little knowledge of the technology to understand what you are buying.

I've got a couple of new RC cars coming tomorrow ; one for my 8 year old and another for me - pics to follow :)

Chuck some details in here please, I want one for my lad and me :)

Soldato
Chuck some details in here please, I want one for my lad and me :)
Model Sport is one of the better online RC shops - they stock a wide range of cars, batteries, parts and other accessories : https://www.modelsport.co.uk/

In terms of cars - my son preferred the buggy design and he chose this one : FTX Vantage brushless for £190 (it comes with charger and LiPo car battery). It’s good for 50mph out of the box and can handle some jumps.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-va...ss-buggy-rtr-waterproof/rc-car-products/40388

The brushed version is slightly cheaper at £105, plus another £40 if you need the batteries and charger (brushed cars are generally slower)
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-va...uggy-2-4ghz-waterproof/rc-car-products/379131

if Monster Trucks are more your style there are options in the same price range.
https://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-carnage-2-0-1-10-brushed-truck-4wd-rtr-red/rc-car-products/444808

It really depends what you intend using it for. If it’s just to have some fun around the park then spending less works. If it’s to race or do skate park jumps then spending more will save you money in then long run as you won’t be replacing broken parts after each use :p

Don
Thanks, I know Otley Modelsports well, it's a 45 minute trip for me but I've used their services before, my Dad before me. I bought the Lunchbox from there two years back, ended up building it up and never using it. I want to give that to the lad ideally and myself get one. The Vantage/Carnage (Monster Truck version, not sure which) I had a couple of years back but ended up returning it as it couldn't drive in dewy grass and it ended up blowing the engine. I'm not sure if they fixed that part and they're now waterproof (just checked the link and they are!)

I may have a trip over there tomorrow :)

Soldato
a lot of 10 scale models will struggle in grass and if its semi long buggy is a no no at that scale, i know from experience, even my hyper 7 or ishima can struggle in wet grass if it is too long and their 1/8 scale with nitro engines.

get a truggy/stadium truck, but even my brushless 250 quid thing can struggle in grass https://www.rcscrapyard.net/thunder-tiger-sparrowhawk-xxt.htm

just noticed my truck is in rc scrapyard... also have the buggy version damn

edit: what ever you get use blue thread lock for wheel nuts and any grub screws connecting the drive shaft if 4wd etc before running it, thank me later lol

Last edited:
Soldato
Was thinking of picking up a Hornet, had one when I was a kid back in 80s.

Can anyone tell if they're still made the same?
The speed controller will probably be different, was with 'The Frog'. My old one has a 3 step mechanical one with external ceramic heatsink (which I used to burn my youthful hands on :D ) New one is some new-fangled electric thing :(

Associate
The speed controller will probably be different, was with 'The Frog'. My old one has a 3 step mechanical one with external ceramic heatsink (which I used to burn my youthful hands on :D ) New one is some new-fangled electric thing :(

Thanks, what are parts like to get hold of? I remember the wheel suspension snapping off and was hard work getting the part for it.

Associate
Thanks, I know Otley Modelsports well, it's a 45 minute trip for me but I've used their services before, my Dad before me. I bought the Lunchbox from there two years back, ended up building it up and never using it. I want to give that to the lad ideally and myself get one. The Vantage/Carnage (Monster Truck version, not sure which) I had a couple of years back but ended up returning it as it couldn't drive in dewy grass and it ended up blowing the engine. I'm not sure if they fixed that part and they're now waterproof (just checked the link and they are!)

I may have a trip over there tomorrow :)

If you're happy to go for a hobby grade starter model then the FTX vantage is a buggy, Carnage is a truggy and the Bugsta is the monster truck (comes with a Beetle body shell and looks awesome in green.)
FTX are ok, they are a bit fragile and suffer from wobbly wheels on the Carnage and Bugsta. The vantage is probably the strongest but also the smallest. Looks 1/12 scale compared to the C and B. They all share the chassis just have different suspension and wheels. Carnage and Bugsta are identical except for wheels and body shell.
I prefer the Maverick Strada MT and XT over the FTX range. HPI Maverick copied the HSP models so you can get cheaper spares by using HSP parts.
Also as you seem hands on with building after doing the lunch box then get the brushed models and buy a cheap GoolRc brushless ESC and motor. They are £15 each and are good reliable units however don't expect them to be waterproof even when stated. Use 3660 size motors and an 80amp esc.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Where’s a good place to buy a controller?

i see a decent price for the midnight pumpkin but would need a controller.

Christmas money is burning a hole in the pocket lol

I swear by Hobbyking. For a car with no transmission / auto transmission, you just need a boggo 2 channel controller & receiver. This one is only £23, but I wouldn't expect miles of range from it. If you prefer one with a wheel, you'll be going even cheaper (I always wanted stick as it can also be used for boats and anything else controllable with 2 channels). Alternatively buy an RTR kit which comes with everything. You might also need servos, dunno if your Midnight Pumpkin comes with them? Make sure you check. If it doesn't, buy good servos. Those monster trucks are heavy, you will need a strong servo to steer them.

Soldato
Thanks, what are parts like to get hold of? I remember the wheel suspension snapping off and was hard work getting the part for it.

Seem to be readily available https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/c/897/ plus now we have the internet and 3D printers which did not exist when these models first came out :D

Remember my first Frog well. Bought from Beatties as a pack with Acoms Techniplus which my mum helped me build and paint.

Soldato
Our new RC cars - we are going to have lots of fun with these !!

- FTX Vantage Brushless
- Traxxas E-Revo 2.0

49304758047_979f28e70a_b.jpg

49304058633_51ecf28eb1_b.jpg
[/url]

Last edited:
Soldato
you'll kind of get what you pay for i guess. i was obsessed with the Tamiya cars back in the day, the artwork alone on those boxes made me drool :eek:
the big ones for me were the hornet (which i got one year for xmas 88) and the grasshopper (which a mate had)

Tamiya-Hornet.jpg

tamiyagrasshopper001.jpg

of course i had no idea how to control it and bust the chassis in the first week (driving it straight into a curb). it spent the rest of its life getting repairs :o

i think from memory the hornet kit was around £180 (about £340 today) , so you were looking big money. i was lucky my older brother stepped in to pay the rest when i asked for one for xmas

Back
Top Bottom