Re-plasterboarding ceiling - Need some advice

Associate
Hey all, hope you guys well;)

We are about to begin taking of the ceiling with texture in the hallway and I'm trying to plan ahead before we start the job. I`only helped install drywall once in my life when I was a kid but a lot of research and logic should help :D:D:D hopefully anyway!

Below image represents our ceiling downstairs (approx.), as soon as you walk into the house, the door is shown at the top. The ceiling is outlined with Yellow lines, the Plasterboard sheet are red rectangles and 4 circles are planned down lights.

My theory is, if I use biggest sheets I will have less joints to worry about and less imperfections to correct later.

I've drawn up two options with biggest sheets which both result in only 2 joints but in different setup, I am leaning towards Option 1 as you not joining everything in the same place but the join line is close to one of the downlights, approx 75mm to edge of the light. I am not experienced to know which would give best results / strength.
F8dS8Sj.jpg

Another question is, whats the best method / technique to join this outside corner once we lay new sheet?
Am I correct in thinking a "Stop Bead" is required to meet up to the vertical wall then plaster?
beASBH5.jpg
https:///
Would appreciate to hear your opinion on any of the above, especially if you have experience in any of the above:rolleyes:

I enjoy doing / learning things like that myself and not afraid to fail, although I do try and do thorough research before starting :D

Thank you in advance :)

P.S - Maybe its worth creating a "House Build" thread considering we are redoing a lot in the house :confused:

Last edited:
Soldato
Before you go overboarding it, ask your plasterer to have a look. Some artex/texture costings can be plastered directly over. Other will peel easily enough when lightly scored and steamed with a wallpaper steamer.

As for the boards I would use 6ft X 3ft boards just for ease of nothing them around in that space (mine was the same) 8ft boards weigh considerable more that the smaller ones.

Associate
OP
We don't have a plasterer, was gonna give it a go ourselves also :)
4 down lights need to be wired in, which would be a ton easier with ceiling off if re boarding?

I've previously looked at the texture as we had to send it off to be tested for asbestos and it breaks the board if pulled off.

Thanks.

Soldato
I had similar and ripped the old down and replaced with new.
Tapered edge, and the small sheets 9mm. Lots of bugle head screws.

Soldato
I'm not a plasterer but in my line of work i do see a lot of houses with Artex on the ceilings and walls.
Some Artex contains Abestos, pulling it off or disturbing it can be dangerous. In your position, i would get an expert to test it first for Asbestos before doing anything.

Associate
OP
Thanks for reply kitfit:)
We had the ceiling tested for asbestos and it came back negative :D hopefully it's whole ceiling asbestos free and not just the part that been tested haha

Tea Drinker
Don
Your layouts are all well and good but you don't know till you rip the old board down what the joist layout is, that will determine your board layout.

Big boards are great but the smaller handi boards are easier to use.

It probably would have been ceiling first then walls so you may have old plaster board running into the walls.

If you board it all a plasterer should akim all that in a day and make a nice job of it.

Associate
We're about to get our Artex ceilings reskimmed. Cheaper than overboarding and we're assuming they do contain asbestos so easier all round. Quotes averaging £1k for a 3 bed house.

Soldato
I went for the scrape and plaster over method.

I had drip effect artexing. Last year I had my entrance hall done, living room, stairs , landing , bedroom.

Use some metal stop beads on edging where possible..

I have one more room to do..some.plasters won't scrape the peak of the artex off because of mess or time. My house was built in 1996 so shouldn't contain asbestos, I was wearing mask etc. Just used the edge of a plaster trowel and lightly scraped off the peaks of.the artexing..now clean and ready to be PVA and double coat on Friday

The plasterer who had done most of the ceiling work in my house I have been unable to get hold of this year as he's busy. He did scrape and pva / plaster last time.

Using someone else this week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom