Re-roof cost?

Soldato
Looking to get my house reroofed its a 3 bed terrace, new tiles in marley modern, new ridge tiles, chimney capped and repointed, new guttering approx 12m worth and new soffits and facias. Roof is approx 60m2. Any idea of cost?

Tea Drinker
Don
Strip roof £160
Skip £180
Scaffold £500
New felt £150
New battens £200
Half round gutter £13.30 m
stop end £2.01 each
outlet £2.80 each
fascia and soffit £30 m
New tiling £60 sq m
repoint chimney £300

About £5 / 6k

Associate
mine's being done as I type this:

New tiles (49's)
new guttering
new fascia
new lead
repointing chimney

3bed mid terrace, 55m2 roof

6k all in including skips, scaffold and stripping

Tea Drinker
Don
I thought of something last night, if you are replacing slate with with a concrete tile you should consider the weight, Marley Modern is 54kgm2 slate is 20kgm2, you may need to reinforce the sub structure.

Soldato
OP
I thought of something last night, if you are replacing slate with with a concrete tile you should consider the weight, Marley Modern is 54kgm2 slate is 20kgm2, you may need to reinforce the sub structure.

The council recently re roofed the neighbouring houses with marly modern I think. the houses are the same as mine with no problems but i will ask the roofer when he comes round. Whats the price difference between slate and marly modern?

Tea Drinker
Don
Councils will suck it up if they have to re roof because it's sagged, I doubt you will want to strip it all off and re do it all, it may be a few more timbers.

My SPONS says

Marley modern £874 / 1000
Welsh slate £1400 / 1000
Spanish slate £556 / 1000

Associate
A 3 bedroom terraced is done for just under 3k in Leicester.

As yours has some additional work, I would expect it to be verging the 4k mark.

Soldato
OP
Just had 1st quote, to strip roof, install felt, new battans, reuse the good slates(he said a few were bad) new gutters, remove chimney stack(we will never use it), put upvc soffits and facias over exsisting wooden ones(again not in bad nick) came to £3200 or to install tiles (conflex i think he said) £3500.
Asked about the weight of tiles but he wasnt concerned even though he dudnt go into the loft. So a good quote or not?
Got another guy coming tonight so will see how they compare.

Tea Drinker
Don
Re using slates has got to be the best balance of cost and value. They can flip them or trim the delaminating leading edge off and replace what break or are unusable.

What is the extent of the chimney stack? are they just cutting it down to below the tiles or removing to say the loft joist level?

Soldato
OP
Re using slates has got to be the best balance of cost and value. They can flip them or trim the delaminating leading edge off and replace what break or are unusable.

What is the extent of the chimney stack? are they just cutting it down to below the tiles or removing to say the loft joist level?

Chimney is going just below tiles which is fine by me theres no real need to goto joist level.

Soldato
putting plastic soffits over wood always seems like a botch to me, if they are bad enough to need doing they should come off if they are not bad enough to need doing then a two minute coat of paint is all that is needed.

Think very carefully before taking down a chimney stack re-pointing costs very little and means you have the flexibility of adding a log burner or other fire in future. Most builders who want to take them down see it as the easy cheap option as it's brute force and ignorance with no skill required.

Soldato
Wouldn't removing the chimney affect the house price? It will cost a lot for someone who buys it to have another chimney built and they will want that factoring into the price of the house.

I thought reusing slates was the done thing, even used slates are over a quid each! Much better to use the old ones than replace them with cheap imported slates you get now. I'd also never replace slates with concrete tiles. Slates will last hundreds of years and I see tiles that are knackered after 10-20 years.

Nothing wrong with going over the old timber with pvc if it is not rotten imo. It's not good to do that if there isnt enough overhang on the slates for the gutter, but as the roof is being re-done it doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom