Realistic mortgage?

Soldato
Depending on your deposit... if your LTV is high and you have a low deposit then you'll find it tough. 3.5x salary is what you should aim for, any higher and you'll need a 15% deposit or higher.

Soldato
I got a 5x mortgage, 18% deposit, London, Santander, 2.19% fixed for two years interest only

I don't know if it helped, but I purposely went into a city centre branch to make sure that our mortgage guy's signature was worth more and that such a big mortgage for someone my age wouldn't cause immediate indigestion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I went for 4* was just over 25% deposit

I think Santander did up to 4.8 times salary not sure on the exact details but IIRC it was at least 20% deposit

certainly possible though if you've not got a good deposit then you're potentially going to get raped

Soldato
does your age effect the mortgage you can get? or is it simply credit history + current salary?

Lots of things affect your credit score, your age is certainly one of them. Some institutions have a hard limit they won't exceed. Most of those have it tiered dependent on what size of deposit you have. They're all different of course. Your credit score affects how much they will lend to you as well, however usually for mortgages if your credit score is good enough then being any better won't help.

Soldato
does your age effect the mortgage you can get? or is it simply credit history + current salary?
Age becomes more of a factor if you're very old and without, say, life insurance. It is largely down the credit history and the last 1-2 years salary (or if you are self employed, average earnings over the last 2 years). I was only 24 when applying for my mortgage, they didn't bat an eye-lid because I had the financials.

Soldato
Wife and I got offered 3.5x with 15% deposit for 2.5%+BOE base rate tracker fixed for 2 years. (March 2011)
Only needed 3.0x in the end as we looked a little further away from our initial area and got a 10 year old 3 bed semi instead of a 1 bed Victoria flat :D

Last edited:
Soldato
There's no legal limit on mortgages under any circumstances. However we'll use normal retirement age as a point we're careful not to go past unless there's proof someone has a solid income past normal retirement age. If they're close to it and it's reasonable to believe they can continue working then we'll use that too. We wouldn't, for example, do a 30 year mortgage for a 50 year old, unless they could prove a solid income into retirement, no matter how much they protested about working until they were 80.

Back
Top Bottom