Realistic moving costs/fees

Soldato
Currently thinking about moving house. We own with a mortgage.
Property is worth 200 with the next property around 220.
Just trying to calculate fees.
Stamp duty around £2000
Estate agents (p bricks) £900
Conveyancing £800
Does this sound about right for a move ? To sell and buy? Removals I will arrange myself.
Probably a 4k budget to move am I being realistic?
Appreciate any help.

Permabanned
Just in the final stages of selling my home these where the cost breakdown. Bare in mind I'm not moving into another mortgage I'm paying mine off and moving back with family.

£2300 - Estate Agent fees (Selling Home)
£700 - Conveyancing (Solicitors)
£216 - Solar Panel Company (A Shade Greener) for legal documents. (Solicitor won't process without this).
£50 - Some other fee for indemnity policy for 1 month for the buyer piece of mind for boiler breakdown and door change over insurance or something!

This is without moving into a new property. Double that plus more for the fees for moving into a home just about!

Soldato
Solicitors fees are about right per property

This! It seems weird but you pay for two transactions and they're roughly the same cost each.

Removals your self still needs some kind of budget unless you own a van? That's still £50 minimum plus a few beers for a mate or two to help you lift things (sofa's are not movable on your own, trust me)

Associate
I would definitely budget for removal costs. Unless you are a first time buyer without much furniture and stuff then you likely need a decent sized van (not a £50 for 4 hours type thing) and several people. Moving on your own will take several times more time than you think. I’ve helped mates before and we were still going at 11pm and was ******* off the people moving in at other end. I personally wouldn’t want to do that myself again

Soldato
I would definitely budget for removal costs. Unless you are a first time buyer without much furniture and stuff then you likely need a decent sized van (not a £50 for 4 hours type thing) and several people. Moving on your own will take several times more time than you think. I’ve helped mates before and we were still going at 11pm and was ******* off the people moving in at other end. I personally wouldn’t want to do that myself again

Depends how organised you are i guess.

We hired a luton van over 2 nights (think it was around £100). Got an uncle round the night before to help load the sofas/washing machine etc in. Then spend the rest of the night putting in the rest of the stuff. The morning of the move was just putting the mattresses into the van.

There were around 4 of us unloading but i'd have said it only took a couple hours and i'm a hoarder and have a lot of crap!

Soldato
Yeah having done it both ways myself, i'd never move stuff myself again. Well worth the couple of hundred quid for some pro's to come and blitz it in 1/4 of the time that you and a few mates could ever do it. Plus who enjoys getting wardrobes up staircases, moving is stressful and tiring enough without putting your back out as well!

Soldato
Well worth the couple of hundred quid for some pro's to come and blitz it in 1/4 of the time that you and a few mates could ever do it.

Where are you getting a professional removal service for £200? I'm moving soon and I've been told I can expect to pay £1200-ish, and I don't live in a 20-bedroom mansion.

£200 is 'man with a van' prices and I wouldn't necessarily call them 'pros'.

Soldato
Depends how organised you are i guess.

We hired a luton van over 2 nights (think it was around £100). Got an uncle round the night before to help load the sofas/washing machine etc in. Then spend the rest of the night putting in the rest of the stuff. The morning of the move was just putting the mattresses into the van.

There were around 4 of us unloading but i'd have said it only took a couple hours and i'm a hoarder and have a lot of crap!

We moved with a Luton Van and our large 3 bed property with a Garrage took 3 fully loaded trips and we dismantled every piece of flat pack furniture completely to save space.

There are things that take up so much space that are awkward shapes like bikes and lawnmowers that you don’t want anywhere near stuff like mattress and sofas for obvious reasons.

The main issue with a Luton is weight, once you stick a tail lift on the back and passengers in the front you don’t have a huge load capacity.

Man of Honour

I'd definitely agree in that whatever amount of time you think it would take double it!

We got a bit lucky in that the removal people came the day before to load up garden stuff and having had a job cancelled suggested we also load up the rest of the van and the spare van with what we had ready to go so we had almost half the stuff loaded up before the day as on the day we needed every bit of time including the two hour delay caused by the solicitor being a shower and even then we barely made it out ahead of our buyer turning up.

Have to repeat what I said before though despite the delay actually being useful the solicitors were by far the worst part of the experience as far as anyone else involved goes - the estate agent was actually really good, can't fault the removals company but not a single solicitor/conveyancing involved came across like they were competent or cared about the job they were doing.

Soldato
We moved with a Luton Van and our large 3 bed property with a Garrage took 3 fully loaded trips and we dismantled every piece of flat pack furniture completely to save space.

There are things that take up so much space that are awkward shapes like bikes and lawnmowers that you don’t want anywhere near stuff like mattress and sofas for obvious reasons.

The main issue with a Luton is weight, once you stick a tail lift on the back and passengers in the front you don’t have a huge load capacity.

Ah i get that, we were in a 3 bed old terrace so didn't have any garden furniture so that made things easier in that everything was clean!

Back
Top Bottom