realistically when can we expect 5900x in stock at msrp?

Soldato
Likely after March is my understanding and then it depends on supply vs demand as to whether you'll get the MSRP or not, no guarantees. Keep an eye out for the 5800X dropping under £400 again then pull the trigger would be my advice. Unless you must have 12 cores for whatever reason. The performance for gaming and the like is almost identical between the two chips.

Associate
OP
Likely after March is my understanding and then it depends on supply vs demand as to whether you'll get the MSRP or not, no guarantees. Keep an eye out for the 5800X dropping under £400 again then pull the trigger would be my advice. Unless you must have 12 cores for whatever reason. The performance for gaming and the like is almost identical between the two chips.
I would regret it after if I got myself 5800x, as I have my mindset on 5900x. Mainly it will be for gaming and some photo/video editing but ill probably keep this cpu for like 8 plus years like my old i7 3770k, so I'm not willing to compromise with 5800x.

Soldato
I would regret it after if I got myself 5800x, as I have my mindset on 5900x. Mainly it will be for gaming and some photo/video editing but ill probably keep this cpu for like 8 plus years like my old i7 3770k, so I'm not willing to compromise with 5800x.
Yeah I get it. If it feels like a downgrade to you then you'll never be content - best to wait. I did myself one year, I wanted the i7 6700K when it first came out but settled for the i5 6600K as it was supposed to be the sensible choice if only gaming. Well, I only lasted 2 months with it and ended up buying the i7 6700K anyway and selling the i5 at at £50 loss.

Soldato

Mainly for gaming then 5800x is better anyway

Associate
i am wondering that myself when will 5900x be in stock again. been wanting one for my new gaming build but now debating on getting 10900k as can get that and a motherboard this week or possibly waiting for the new intel range next month

Associate
OP
I'm seriously considering 10850k. Do we really need PCI gen 4? do games really utilize speeds like that? I'm pretty sure top gen 3 SSD can keep up with everything you throw at it for years to come.

edit

will 10850k work with z590 mobos?

Last edited:
Associate
I'm seriously considering 10850k. Do we really need PCI gen 4? do games really utilize speeds like that? I'm pretty sure top gen 3 SSD can keep up with everything you throw at it for years to come.

edit

will 10850k work with z590 mobos?
A 10850k will be slower per core, and still for games you want the best single threaded performance. In fact it will be slower than a 5800X for all but the most highly threaded apps; even in those it will essentially draw even. Rocket Lake will see a decent performance uplift but that's a future upgrade like a 5900X.

I can empathise, am still waiting keenly for my New Year's 5900X purchase from OCUK, but a 10850K probably isn't a solution to your dilemma. However yes it will work with a z590 board.

Associate
OP
A 10850k will be slower per core, and still for games you want the best single threaded performance. In fact it will be slower than a 5800X for all but the most highly threaded apps; even in those it will essentially draw even. Rocket Lake will see a decent performance uplift but that's a future upgrade like a 5900X.

I can empathise, am still waiting keenly for my New Year's 5900X purchase from OCUK, but a 10850K probably isn't a solution to your dilemma. However yes it will work with a z590 board.

Well, and there is this vid

Soldato
Well, and there is this vid

I don't disagree that Ryzens are a bit more fussy, but if you know what to put together they are fine.

My 5800x since mid December flawless, no BSOD, no crashing, MSI x570 board 3600mhz RAM.

Also there seems to be this obsession with cores at the moment, don't people realise that unless you are specifically using multi threaded software, they don't mean Jack ****, guess what, games are not geared towards multi threaded.

They way games are coded which won't change for a while, the "main" core farms out instructions to the others, but that main core is the limiter, hence why single core performance is more important for games. Most games even today are not going to be using even 6 cores, let alone 8 or more, most older games even less.

So why get fixated on a 5900? It's got 12 cores, a whole 4 more than a 5800x for only a fraction of the cost more, wow no brainer right?

So look at the benchmarks at gamers Nexus based in stock speeds, 5900x / 5800x are trading blows, about 50/50 in games.

Now look at the actual results of the CPUs when factoring in even mild OC, just look through the CPU section and you'll see that the 5800x is getting more consistent and higher clock speeds, due to the single (and in my opinion) higher quality CCD.

Also, dont forget, all of this when actually put in practice, the difference between the two in games is going to be unnoticeable.

But yet people are like, but 5900x, it's not available it's so much better, well no, it's not, for gaming, 5800x is marginally better, cheaper, and available now.

Soldato
I don't disagree that Ryzens are a bit more fussy, but if you know what to put together they are fine.

My 5800x since mid December flawless, no BSOD, no crashing, MSI x570 board 3600mhz RAM.

Also there seems to be this obsession with cores at the moment, don't people realise that unless you are specifically using multi threaded software, they don't mean Jack ****, guess what, games are not geared towards multi threaded.

They way games are coded which won't change for a while, the "main" core farms out instructions to the others, but that main core is the limiter, hence why single core performance is more important for games. Most games even today are not going to be using even 6 cores, let alone 8 or more, most older games even less.

So why get fixated on a 5900? It's got 12 cores, a whole 4 more than a 5800x for only a fraction of the cost more, wow no brainer right?

So look at the benchmarks at gamers Nexus based in stock speeds, 5900x / 5800x are trading blows, about 50/50 in games.

Now look at the actual results of the CPUs when factoring in even mild OC, just look through the CPU section and you'll see that the 5800x is getting more consistent and higher clock speeds, due to the single (and in my opinion) higher quality CCD.

Also, dont forget, all of this when actually put in practice, the difference between the two in games is going to be unnoticeable.

But yet people are like, but 5900x, it's not available it's so much better, well no, it's not, for gaming, 5800x is marginally better, cheaper, and available now.

Yeah I don't understand why ordinary gamers are so obsessed with getting the 5900x its, great for productivity but for gaming its not really worth it. Your not going to use those extra cores its not going to effect your frame rates in that much of a meaningful metric, its just a waste of money over the 5600x even which would be adequate.

Associate
OP
I can have now 10850k now for £350 or wait god knows how long for 5900x for £600 that's the real issue, and buying 5900x in the mid of 2021... well kinda sux all of this

Back
Top Bottom