• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Really Starting to Think I Should Spend My Money on Something Else!!!

Associate
My 3080 runs perfectly well @ 4k all settings at max and high fps.

It requires basic ownership and use of a product rather than some self entitled 'math and knowledge of new consoles' to realize what you say is utter dribble.

Sounds like you need a tube of Anusol.

cyber punk pritty much uses 10gb of vram...thats not good for 3080 owners.

Soldato

Given the life expectancy of GPUs I think it's fair to say most owners at higher resolutions will have moved on before it becomes a real issue. I find AMD is a better option for the longer term owner and Nvidia for the frequently upgrading enthusiast.

Soldato
Bought a new phone yesterday and paid my car insurance up front for the next year, funds for GPU now depleted and I don't feel in the slightest bit bothered like I thought I would be

I'm not even going to entertain looking until February now, liberating stuff.

Soldato
Unless you're after a very specific model at a very specific price point there is no reason why you shouldn't already have a 3080. Just join one of the discord alert groups. Notification will literally go straight to your phone when one is available. You will literally have one bought within days as long as you're not picky.

It is so easy to grab one that Too Tall on the members market was literally bought loads of them to sell them on at cost to people here who needed one and did this a number of times over.

Soldato
Ive been on the verge of buying a new Gpu and checking for opportunities regularly however I actually play only a handful of games and they all run fine on my 1080. Think I can hold off until stock is normal.

Everyone got a hard-on over cyberpunk release then most got disappointed so I don't really see any big reason to get a top gpu just yet.

Associate
Ive been on the verge of buying a new Gpu and checking for opportunities regularly however I actually play only a handful of games and they all run fine on my 1080. Think I can hold off until stock is normal.

Everyone got a hard-on over cyberpunk release then most got disappointed so I don't really see any big reason to get a top gpu just yet.
I'm along these lines, the more i think about it, the more I really don't need an upgrade, cyberpunk even runs smooth on my old GPU albeit at slightly lower fps. You can't tell... The hype is not worth the inflated costs atm

Soldato

There have been plenty of games over the years that are released with memory leaks and poor running they qall get fixed. Using a game that is well known to not run well, with bugs and poorly optimised isn't the best arguement. It will get fixed and use less memory. Even if it does use 10GB, 3080 has that. SO you gonna spend an extra £400+ for a 3080ti or even more for a 3090 because you are worried about 1 game and current memory usage?

Not only that, the 3080 runs on GDDR6X which is twice as fast as GDDR6, but I haven't seen any reviews yet on what 6X can do vs 6 or that measurement. Maybe it is non. But only Micron makes 6X and it's expensive and where a majority of the cost goes on a 3090 with 24GB of the stuff. AMD cards used to use HBM but have returned to GDDR6. WHich is a shame as HBM was touted to be the next gen RAM technology.

WHat will game developers do?

1. Change the game code to work effectively on peoples current cards - most of which will probably be 8-10GB of VRAM.

2. Make it run on cards with massive amounts of VRAM available and miss out on 99% of PC gamers that don't have cards with >8GB of RAM?

I never buy games on release anymore as I'm not going to be a beta tester and pay full price. When a game is offered up half price it's usually fixed by then and you get to enjoy the game (usually) as it was envisaged.

Dont get me wrong - I want to play CP2077 but it runs like a bag o ***t. Aint paying for that. Meantime I'm playing through The Witcher and all it's DLC @ 4k 100fps+ on ultra. Death Stranding....and games that are optimised and have been largely fixed since release. And they all cost 50% of release price. 2 Games for price of 1. All played at the PC master race resolution of 4k with 120hz - of which the 3080 does VERY WELL. Great card.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dont get me wrong - I want to play CP2077 but it runs like a bag o ***t. Aint paying for that. Meantime I'm playing through The Witcher and all it's DLC @ 4k 100fps+ on ultra. Death Stranding....and games that are optimised and have been largely fixed since release. And they all cost 50% of release price. 2 Games for price of 1. All played at the PC master race resolution of 4k with 120hz - of which the 3080 does VERY WELL. Great card.

You might get 120@4k Ultra out in the middle of nowhere on the CP map but its never happening in the city whatever optimisations they come up with.

Soldato
You might get 120@4k Ultra out in the middle of nowhere on the CP map but its never happening in the city whatever optimisations they come up with.

I was talking about the games I am currently playing. In CP 2077 you can barely get 70fps at 1440p let alone bothering @ 4k. Hence why the game currently needs fixing and why both new consoles are giving refunds as its a 15fps slideshow, buggy and broken. Developers shouldn't be releasing games that cant run on consoles!!! That is set hardware to build on.

You can change the game coding - you cant change the hardware. So the fix has to come in the game. Many many games are like this on release. Other games sold such as say Squad; are sold as 'in Alpha/Beta' (and often still perform well) so you know the game isn't finished or still in development. It's the AAA and big hyped games on release that usually run poorly as they use the early adopters as the testers to collect the bug and performance data. The shareholders don't care if it works, they just want the sales for that time of year.

I will play CP2077....when it's fixed and performs better but it will take a good few months and by then it'll be 1/2 price. Win win.

Last edited:
Associate
There have been plenty of games over the years that are released with memory leaks and poor running they qall get fixed. Using a game that is well known to not run well, with bugs and poorly optimised isn't the best arguement. It will get fixed and use less memory. Even if it does use 10GB, 3080 has that. SO you gonna spend an extra £400+ for a 3080ti or even more for a 3090 because you are worried about 1 game and current memory usage?

Not only that, the 3080 runs on GDDR6X which is twice as fast as GDDR6, but I haven't seen any reviews yet on what 6X can do vs 6 or that measurement. Maybe it is non. But only Micron makes 6X and it's expensive and where a majority of the cost goes on a 3090 with 24GB of the stuff. AMD cards used to use HBM but have returned to GDDR6. WHich is a shame as HBM was touted to be the next gen RAM technology.

WHat will game developers do?

1. Change the game code to work effectively on peoples current cards - most of which will probably be 8-10GB of VRAM.

2. Make it run on cards with massive amounts of VRAM available and miss out on 99% of PC gamers that don't have cards with >8GB of RAM?

I never buy games on release anymore as I'm not going to be a beta tester and pay full price. When a game is offered up half price it's usually fixed by then and you get to enjoy the game (usually) as it was envisaged.

No I dont just want to run 1 game.. you missed the point. cyber punk is a first next gen game for the consoles which are run on amd hardware (more then 10gbvram). if thats anything to go buy its clear as day that 10gb is not going to cut it..witcher 3 is old and so is death stranding plus these games where not developed on the new consoles, of course your going to run them maxed out. why wouldent you?

But are you honstly going to tell me that 10gb is going to be enough for 4k gaming in 2022? i would like to be able to run up and coming games well and not worry about running out of vram..a 3090 does not have this problem and will last much longer then a 3080..but its well over priced. But if the ti comes out at 1.2k tops. thats not that bad. i paid £900 for a gigabyte xtreme 3080. which I still dont have and prob wont when the ti gets anounced.

Last edited:
Soldato
No I dont just want to run 1 game.. you missed the point. cyber punk is a first next gen game for the consoles which are run on amd hardware (more then 10gbvram). if thats anything to go buy its clear as day that 10gb is not going to cut it..witcher 3 is old and so is death stranding plus these games where not developed on the new consoles, of course your going to run them maxed out. why wouldent you?

But are you honstly going to tell me that 10gb is going to be enough for 4k gaming in 2022? i would like to be able to run up and coming games well and not worry about running out of vram..a 3090 does not have this problem and will last much longer then a 3080..but its well over priced. But if the ti comes out at 1.2k tops. thats not that bad. i paid £900 for a gigabyte xtreme 3080. which I still don't have and prob wont when the ti gets anounced.

You've missed the point as CP2077 doesn't even run on the consoles because it's fooked even with 16GB of memory. MS & Sony offering refunds because this 'next gen' game you go on about doesn't work on the new consoles. So, next gen is it?

Is that why CP2077's own system specs are listed as 6GB of video RAM recommended and 3GB minimum.

Next gen games according to you is fine when it's broken.

You tell me what is next gen about CP2077 by listing next gen game technologies that we've never seen in any other games yet......WAITING

Associate
You've missed the point as CP2077 doesn't even run on the consoles because it's fooked even with 16GB of memory. MS & Sony offering refunds because this 'next gen' game you go on about doesn't work on the new consoles. So, next gen is it?

Is that why CP2077's own system specs are listed as 6GB of video RAM recommended and 3GB minimum.

Next gen games according to you is fine when it's broken.

You tell me what is next gen about CP2077 by listing next gen game technologies that we've never seen in any other games yet......WAITING

next gen..as in for the new consoles. the performance issues are related to the old consoles not the new ones and it runs like **** on the old ones. same can be said for watch dog legions..also those requirments listed for pc are not for 4k..there for 1080p...and most people that want 3080s series cards want 4k gaming..the point is 10gb is not going to cut it..what part of that do you not undestand?

Soldato
I'm getting very frustrated now. Since getting an Index I find my 1080ti is underpowered to play some of the VR sims I like playing, so I could do with a 3080.

The one time I actually have the money to buy one I can't actually get hold of one.

Permabanned
OP
even though its marketed as a 4k card....ok

I think this is the reason we get some posts 30XX underperforming. It really is a 4K card and anything less and you aren't going to see the performance increase you may be looking for.

Back
Top Bottom