• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Really Starting to Think I Should Spend My Money on Something Else!!!

Permabanned
With continuing shortages, perhaps now until March, and with me realising that 10GB isn't future proof at all ( at least for me ) , I am really starting to think that I should just cancel Christmas so to speak and spend my money elsewhere. I mean at this rate I can see the higher memory cards coming out in March and not really being available in numbers until April/May. This entire 3000 launch has just been a joke and I am thinking now best to just forget it for six months. Anyone else thinking the same?

Associate
Yea, kind of the same here. I was rushing for a new PC so I could get CyberPunk but with how it's launched, I'll likely wait now till it's been out 6 months at least. So with that, I'll probably put my HW on hold till then, hopefully, we will not have scalpers asking ridiculous amounts for 3000 series cards and AMD would have sorted the 5000 series CPUs.

Soldato
I think if anyone can wait they should. I'd like a GPU upgrade but realistically at 1440p my 5700XT is fine. By the time it all came down the next gen will almost upon us which should bring us much better ray tracing and Intel might be entering the market.

Soldato
Are you sure it isn’t Linda Lovelace the new design is named after?

Would be a fitting tribute to how the GPU manufacturers treat customers these days...

PSA: If you don’t know who Linda Lovelace was, don’t Google her on a work or school PC - NSFW.

Soldato
Just save your money & wait there is not a single PC game which looks much different with RTX enabled! The entire industry is thoroughly corrupt & price hiking because they know they can get away with it!

In 6 months or so the prices will drop as new cards are refreshed.

Associate
Just save your money & wait there is not a single PC game which looks much different with RTX enabled! The entire industry is thoroughly corrupt & price hiking because they know they can get away with it!

In 6 months or so the prices will drop as new cards are refreshed.
unless of course you score something at MSRP with lots of memory .

Soldato
Wanting a top graphics card is expensive even if they were available (3080 RTX or 6800XT) for £700. I was watching a 6800 XT on a auction site and it went for £980 this morning, mental but supply and demand drives people to pay more I guess. Building a PC in general with a 8 core CPU (AMD or Intel) etc is now very expensive relative to where it was even a decade ago.

Associate
Wanting a top graphics card is expensive even if they were available (3080 RTX or 6800XT) for £700. I was watching a 6800 XT on a auction site and it went for £980 this morning, mental but supply and demand drives people to pay more I guess. Building a PC in general with a 8 core CPU (AMD or Intel) etc is now very expensive relative to where it was even a decade ago.
I was very lucky got a Merc 319 non XT for 7.15 pounds. Took weeks of crawling having a mild ASD diagnosis can help acquire the damn thing - but not help deal with the stress of going through it.

Associate

Would be a fitting tribute to how the GPU manufacturers treat customers these days...

PSA: If you don’t know who Linda Lovelace was, don’t Google her on a work or school PC - NSFW.

Unfortunately, even at 34 if you tell me not to Google something, I will. Good job I'm at home today :p

Soldato
I was very lucky got a Merc 319 non XT for 7.15 pounds. Took weeks of crawling having a mild ASD diagnosis can help acquire the damn thing - but not help deal with the stress of going through it.

Is a 6800 for 715 quid really considered getting "lucky"?

You should ideally be able to buy a reference 6800XT for a snip under £600 or a reference 3080 for £650 if either of them could sort their damn supply out, so I would consider that an outrageous price for any 6800 personally... but good for you I guess!

Soldato
Don’t see the point in waiting if you could benefit from a new card.

I got a 3070fe at rrp and might try to snag a 3070ti if price/perf is good. As long as I catch one early I’ll get good money for my 3070.

If you’re willing to wait for a higher vram version of existing cards then you simply do not need to upgrade.

I was waiting a long time to upgrade my 1070. DCS/ACC/MSFS all needed more GPU grunt for me.

I’m also happy to wait for the new CPUs to become more readily available as I can manage at 4K/60 on my 4790k for now.

the 2080ti disgusted me, I have no time for people who bought one if they didn’t need one. Ampere is different, it’s priced ok really, well compared to where it could have been positioned.

Soldato

I got a 3070fe at rrp and might try to snag a 3070ti if price/perf is good. As long as I catch one early I’ll get good money for my 3070.

If you’re willing to wait for a higher vram version of existing cards then you simply do not need to upgrade.

I was waiting a long time to upgrade my 1070. DCS/ACC/MSFS all needed more GPU grunt for me.

I’m also happy to wait for the new CPUs to become more readily available as I can manage at 4K/60 on my 4790k for now.

the 2080ti disgusted me, I have no time for people who bought one if they didn’t need one. Ampere is different, it’s priced ok really, well compared to where it could have been positioned.
Founders editions will sell same price you bought it at even after 3080ti and 3070ti are out. It's the cheapest model and performs as good if not better than many AIBs.

Soldato
Nvidia are about to take a big curly wurly dump on 3000 series cards with the new 5nmm architecture .https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-rumored-to-introduce-gpu-architecture-named-after-ada-lovelace.

Now that AMD have caught up, a die shrink makes sense. Competition is good! You might recall the early days of GPUs with releases every year and huge performance gains. But they're not taking a dump on 30-series owners. Those 30-series cards don't just stop working; they'll give just the same performance as they do now.

Soldato
Now that AMD have caught up, a die shrink makes sense. Competition is good! You might recall the early days of GPUs with releases every year and huge performance gains. But they're not taking a dump on 30-series owners. Those 30-series cards don't just stop working; they'll give just the same performance as they do now.

Agreed but marketing had created a consumer monster, "because you're worth it" :D They raise expectations to unachievable levels and this is the result.

Personally I make my own judgement, try to keep emotion it of it (they love to sell things to you based on how you will "feel") and of I deem it unreasonable or poor value my money goes elsewhere. Sadly that's not the way for many these days.

Soldato
After managing to get a PS5 at MSRP I'm quite content in waiting to upgrade my PC until pricing & stock normalise, if I have to wait another year then so be it.

Associate

Great post - that made me chuckle. Showing your age if you knew who she was straight away.

Permabanned
OP

I would have bought a 3080 if I could actually find one. I am not kidding when I say I have not yet seen any of the 3000 for sale... apart from pre-orders of the 3090. But now it's just too late. The 3080ti is on the horizon and probably some cards that would suit me better.

Associate
they totally F'd over the 2080ti and super people.

As a 2080 Ti owner I'm still feeling pretty pleased with my purchase - 3070 performance, already been using it a year and a half. Plus at £950ish it's only cost about £300 more than I'm seeing 3070s listed at, for that year and a half of use, and I actually have the card in my possession...

Back
Top Bottom