Reasonable good Sat-Nav

Capodecina
Soldato
Which is a shame. I tried to go down the cheap Navigo route and ended up throwing it in the bottom of the drawer. Wish I bought something that wasn't so crap and got a TomTom for only £50 extra.
So . . . unlucky as well as wasteful then, poor you :(

ps - my £45 NaviGo is still going strong after about 15 months :)

Caporegime
Wasteful? Who's driving around in a £8,000+ Hyundai which has taken a massive hit in depreciation and who's trying to get every bit of life out of an old Fiesta which has oddly risen in value thanks to the Scrapage Sham? If that makes me wasteful, then I am wasteful and proud :)

Soldato
It appears that I don't have your penchant for needlessly wasting money on toys.

Every other satnav, from budget crap like the Navigos to Garmins, the interface, performance and accuracy has been appalling. I can't believe how bad the Garmins are considering they're on the same level as Tomtom :( It's worth the extra £50 IMHO, to avoid getting frustrated when you're lost.

Soldato
Which is a shame. I tried to go down the cheap Navigo route and ended up throwing it in the bottom of the drawer. Wish I bought something that wasn't so crap and got a TomTom for only £50 extra.

I bought the £50 quid Navigo. It was crap. Then I installed MioMaps on it with European maps. Now its pretty damned good :D

Capodecina
Soldato
Every other satnav, from budget crap like the Navigos to Garmins, the interface, performance and accuracy has been appalling. I can't believe how bad the Garmins are considering they're on the same level as Tomtom :( It's worth the extra £50 IMHO, to avoid getting frustrated when you're lost.
As they say, mileage may vary ;)

Personally, I own a £50 NaviGo and have had no problems with it. My brother-in-law has a Tom-Tom and my brother has a Garmin Nuvi (both low-end). On one occasion when driving to Devon, I borrowed each, set them up in the car and compared the results; I would happily have relied on any of them; there was no obvious difference in satellite acquisition.

My only two real gripes, which are common to all three of the ones I have tried is that
  • they appear to take no account of time-of-day or day of the week - once whilst picking up someone in London, I was directed through Soho and the West End on a Friday night - NOT a happy experience
  • because of councils' enthusiasm for changing one-way systems you do need to upgrade your map database from time to time

On a side-note, I believe that you can load the TonTom software onto the NaviGo if you feel so inclined; I tried it but was happy to revert to TurboDog.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Associate
I have a Navigon, cost me £160 i think from halfords, it is wide screen, Europe maps, built in traffic which is free, speed cameras etc, lane assist, bluetooth so i have my phone connected to it too. Its brilliant.

I had a navigon previous to this one too, and that was also very good, with no problems in the 5 years i had it.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
So . . . unlucky as well as wasteful then, poor you :(

ps - my £45 NaviGo is still going strong after about 15 months :)

I half agree with both of you. I rarely ever use portable satnav's, so bought mine as a backup only, and as such went for the cheap navigo widescreen which i believe is the same as the units which you are talking about, but with a bigger screen?

Anyway, the turbodog software is absolutely balls IMHO, happily the units only run windows ce anyway so will run tomtom. Installed that and its a good little budget unit.

Caporegime
Unfortunately you have to pay quite a bit for the TomTom software, so by the time you have paid for the TomTom software and a Navigo, I might as well buy a TomTom. Unless someone is suggesting I use cracked software? :p

Soldato
I half agree with both of you. I rarely ever use portable satnav's, so bought mine as a backup only, and as such went for the cheap navigo widescreen which i believe is the same as the units which you are talking about, but with a bigger screen?

Anyway, the turbodog software is absolutely balls IMHO, happily the units only run windows ce anyway so will run tomtom. Installed that and its a good little budget unit.

Precisely the same reason as me. I rarely use sat-navs enough that I thought buying an expensive one would be a good investment; I literally only found myself wishing I had one once in a blue moon. So yeah, I bought the £50 Navigo with the standard screen. As you said, it runs CE so I just installed MioMaps on it which was much superior to the original Turbodog software. I did try TomTom but couldn't get hold of maps as current as I could for Miomaps.

Soldato
Unfortunately you have to pay quite a bit for the TomTom software, so by the time you have paid for the TomTom software and a Navigo, I might as well buy a TomTom. Unless someone is suggesting I use cracked software? :p

No. We are absolultely not suggesting you use cracked software and I most certainly didnt do that to mine.

<_<
>_>

Associate
The only problem I have found with the Navigo units are cheap SD cards bundled with them. Both my missus father's and my unit have had the cards fail.

Happily a replacement, larger capacity, branded card cost me about £3.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
The only problem I have found with the Navigo units are cheap SD cards bundled with them. Both my missus father's and my unit have had the cards fail.

Happily a replacement, larger capacity, branded card cost me about £3.

Now you mention this, i had this issue too with the bundled 1gb card.

Soldato
When the family all went to Spain last year, my Brother had the Navigo with standard software, me an old (but updated TOMTOM One), and my sister a Garmin Nuvi something or other..

All I will say is, My brother with his Navigo arrived late everywhere, took really silly routes (like going 5 miles out it's way to take a toll-road when a motorway was right in front of it), and caused a lot of stress when we nearly missed our flights home following him and his Navigo on the most scenic of routes through Murcia, espcially when I was on fumes (getting my moneys worth out the hire car)

Never again..

Navigo hardware is sound, would get one myself, but I'd have to then 'buy' the Tomtom software to go on it.. then it'd be good!

:)

Back
Top Bottom