Rebuild/Upgrade advice

Associate
I have a small pot of money with which to rebuild/upgrade my PC, but as this pot is limited, I am unsure where to invest it.

So my current set up is an I7 2700k with 16Gb Ram and a Nvidia 680 GTX gfx card, I have a Samsung SSD as the boot drive, there are other drives in my system but they aren’t entirely relevant to this question

I have a minimum of £300 to spend, but potentially could stretch that to £500.

i am not expecting to get a 4K gaming beast out of this but I am looking to arrive at a modest gaming system, so the question is would I be better off spending the money on a new gfx card or a motherboard/cpu/ram combo and stick with the existing card?

i know the ideal scenario would be to get both, but that isn’t going to happen on my budget.

i am not precious about sticking with Intel/Nvidia and have been looking at the Ryzen CPU’s as an option.

any suggestions would be helpful

Last edited:
Associate
Associate
Just card is OK, that CPU is still reasonably good especially if overclocked. Some RX cards have issues with older chipsets though so look into that first.

Big problem right now is card prices are beyond horrific. Cards that were £349 now £559.

To get a meaningful upgrade the minimum card is GTX1060 6GB in my opinion...but it's priced way above what it should be.

Man of Honour
Get an rx580 8gb or 1060 6gb
Rest of the build is fine. The 2700k can be overclocked (if not already done so) to 4.8ghz+ with semi decent cooling.

Associate
OP
As it happens my PC has been neglected of late, so much so that the pump on my Corsair all in one cooler had failed (it was always a bit dodgy) so in addition to a new gfx card, I will also need a new cooler anyway.

Man of Honour
If their rated 160w tdp is to be believed, then yeah.
Sandy bridge is the last consumer chip that intel soldered. So that'll help with keeping the CPU cool

Man of Honour
You'll get some more miles out of an overclocked 2700k yet. At least a good 18 months if not 24.
Great chip (or rather, showing the lack of CPU progress)

Man of Honour
Back
Top Bottom