Rebuilt PC not booting - MSI B450 Tomahawk/Ryzen 5 3600X

Associate
So todays challenge was the second attempt at getting the 'upgrade' to my gaming PC finished at working.

BACKGROUND
The existing PC was working fine:-
Asus Sabretooth 990FX Rev.2.0
Asus 1060 6GB graphics
650W Corsair PSU
DDR4 1600 16GB mem
AMD 6350 @4.3Ghz
Various SSD's to be reused.

STEP1
  • Bought a used Ryzen 5 3600X CPU off a certain auction site
  • 2x DDR4 8GB Corsair LPX 3200 RAM (used)
  • New Asus Strix B450-F MoBo
  • Old 1060 was to be refitted for now
  • Corsair PSU reused

Assembled with replacement parts and...no boot. No power to the kybd or mouse. No monitor signal. Nothing could be found wrong but on board diag indicators showed everything good bar...it wouldn't boot. A general info search pointed in the direction that the MoBo, despite stating 'AMD 3000 series CPU ready' - wasn't. Sent back.

STEP2
  • New MoBo - MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX (also states Ryzen 3000 series ready)
  • Same components otherwise

Power up. On board diagnostic LED flashed red/CPU warning, but goes out and no other diag indicators displayed. Everything seems to power up, but again - no monitor signal, no kybd power and no mouse lights.

I'm at my wits end with it. So have I been sold a pup CPU or does this board need its BIOS flashing?

Any suggestions or ideas to address my ineptitude gratefully received!

EDIT - This isn't my first post on here but the PC I am rebuilding has all my site login data on it too!!!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The tomahawk should come with the a bios for the 3600x but you can update the bios using the bios flash button on the back of the motherboard. Refer to manual.

Check the cpu for any bent pins

Associate
OP
The tomahawk should come with the a bios for the 3600x but you can update the bios using the bios flash button on the back of the motherboard. Refer to manual.

Check the cpu for any bent pins

Just pulled the CPU to make sure nothing was stupid there. No, all good and straight.

I have built around 5 PC's over the past few years without an issue which is one reason this is driving me nuts.

DDR4 is slotted in DIMM A2 and B2.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Final attempt before calling it a night on this.

Powered down. Removed CPU and GPU. Removed CMOS batt. Linked CMOS clear pins for 10 minutes. BIOS flash again via USB to the latest but one version.

Re-assemble. All fans start on power up and no diagnostic indicators - but still no monitor output, or power to the keyboard and mouse.

It's sent to try us, eh?

Associate
OP
Yep, it wasn't if it was cheap either. Based on the current bump in CPU value I paid £200 delivered noting that the 3600X was jumping to +£250 - but that was new - with a warranty and more than likely would have worked! ;) Sometimes we are our own worst enemies when trying to save a few quid?

Time to piff the man on the 'bay' off :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom