Received this "B Grade" motherboard. Would you trust it?

Associate
I bought this motherboard from the clearance:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/b-gr...1150-ddr3-mini-itx-motherboard-bg-450-ms.html

I got it today with just the box, anti-static bag and the board and nothing else. Fair enough as it's on clearance (although I wouldn't call the WiFi antenna's an accessory). First noticed some water marks on the back, I then noticed someone has tampered with it, scratched off the soldermask to reveal grounding points as far as I can tell, there are some tracks which are scratched too. They have even soldered some of the board.

I just want to know if I'm being petty with this, as I don't even want to risk my other components with this board. Would you trust it?

https://imgur.com/a/SLLpQJ1

Ree

Ree

Associate
looks more like well, well used than what you would expect from a b grade item imo. i would return it if it were me.

Caporegime
I guess it depends how cheap it was but I'd send that back. B grade items should have bits missing or be box opened returns, but that has clearly had something spilled on it which has marked the PCB.

OcUK Staff
Hello there

Sorry to hear of this issue, I have arranged a return and a pre paid label and we will get this processed asap for you.

Bailey

Associate
OP
It was £50, found selling used on ebay for £70, but in that condition, I don't trust it at all. Someone has even used a marker / paint to cover up something they did to the board near the grounding pad.

It's a shame as I bought DDR3 memory and an LGA1150 CPU for this, but I can't find a decent board with my requirments as they've all been discontinued. I'm having to send back the CPU and memory and buy a LGA1151 board which use DDR4 memory.

OcUK Staff
Just an update

I got the board back and as I was curious I have personally tested and inspected it.

The board POST'ed perfectly fine with all memory modules populated into the OS, I then ran a stress test on the board and it worked stable with no issues.

All in all there was nothing wrong with the board

Bailey

Soldato
Just an update

I got the board back and as I was curious I have personally tested and inspected it.

The board POST'ed perfectly fine with all memory modules populated into the OS, I then ran a stress test on the board and it worked stable with no issues.

All in all there was nothing wrong with the board

Bailey
I still wouldn't have been happy to receive a board in that condition from B grade tbh. Looks like it's been through some weird testing. Also booting and running a short stress test compared to full time heavy use is two different things.

Soldato
Some years ago I purchased a B grade motherboard from OCUK and some of the plastic DIMM connectors were snapped, return was accepted no problem but I had to wonder if anyone has even looked at it before re-selling.

On the flip side I've had B grade items from OCUK and they have arrived perfect as new, guess it's a bit of pot luck really.

Soldato
I had a B Grade Titan waterblock from a competitor that was covered in sticky fingerprints and remnants of red coolant that looked like cherry aid. Nothing some ketchup on the copper couldn't fix, but I don't personally consider "used and filthy" to be B grade.

Associate
I wouldnt have been happy to receive that , but even as it posted etc I wouldn't be sure of its long term reliability as , somebody pointed out, possible LN2 "suicide run" could have shortened the life somewhat .

Associate
Some stuff goes up in value , not just paintings, but sometimes people need to replace like with like on old kit .. how much is DDR3 worth now ? 2x4gb ddr3 1866mhz low profile?

Back
Top Bottom