1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Receiving refurbished item when sold as new (Not OCUK)

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Gtiracer, 13 Jan 2022.

1. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Ok, bit of a pain in my side this one and certainly a lesson learned but I bought a difficult(ish) item of pc hardware from somewhere (older model being phased out) at the end of November, the item as far as I can see was sold as a new item, no mention on the page of refurbishment.

Well, more fool me, when it came, it was sealed and was going to be a gift for someone so i kind of just plonked it somewhere until I knew we were going to see them.

Fast forward to today because at the weekend we are going to see the gift receiver, I pick up the item take a closer look and see what looks like some carefully placed clear tape that does not look like official manufacturer packaging, so I take a quick look inside and the part has been marked up, has been used is dusty both sides and is clearly not new.

So I have emailed the company and they're offering so far a £10 refund and saying it was a refurbished item in A1 (as new) condition.

I've told them that 1. Nothing said on the page that it was refurbished and 2. This is not in "as new" condition anyway.

So the question is what are my consumer rights in this instance please? Item value was £60

2. azazl187

Mobster

If you bought it within 14 days you can return it for a full refund. You'll have to pay for the return or convince them to

3. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Purchased at end of November, noticed yesterday evening after checking it over

4. Semple

Sgarrista

I think the amount of elapsed time that has passed has now left you with no options. You'd only be able to return if faulty.

£10 off a £60 item is fairly generous. That's about 17% off. I suppose it comes down to how much use the item had.

5. d_brennen

Capodecina

I was thinking £600 GPU, but yeah, on £60 that isn't bad. Does the product being used affect its usability? I'd take the £10 and cross that supplier off my Christmas list

6. Mr Mcgoo

Gangster

That's a good deal based on what you paid. 17% or so is a better than what a refurb gpu regardless of age would sell for in today's market. Check to make sure it works and except the part refund :)

7. Gtiracer

Wise Guy

Well good news the retailer accepted the return and shall refund or replace in due course. Thank you for the replies everyone