Recent GPU Upgrade, my old second monitor now no longer lives..

Associate
Hi all,

Apologies if this isn't the right place! I know I've upgraded my GPU but that is working fine, just not my second monitor.

I'll start by saying I am maybe, 'medium' when it comes to PC building and skill, like, I can upgrade GPUs, swap ram, do some software stuff, I've done PSUs once or twice - never done a CPU solo, you get the picture!

So, I went from a 980 Ti up to a 2080 (with some future upgrades to go, will essentially be rebuilding over the next year or so) but silly me, didn't check out the ports, and assumed I'd have 4 HDMIs, having seen the card I knew there'd be no VGA (again, didn't fully checked the ports, just saw them and went oh great, HDMI, that's fine, because they look kinda similar, I guess?), which my second monitor takes. Turns out, it's 1 HDMI and 3 'Display Port' sockets. Display Port is new to me, and I'm sorry because I should know, it's just been a fair amount of time and I suppose I missed the introduction of these! Anyways, I've used the HDMI on my GPU to set up my main monitor so I have one working. I can get the second to work fine if I swap it out (Using the VGA to HDMI adapter I bought when initally I thought they were ALL HDMI!) so the old beast technically does live.

I do have a spare HDMI on my mobo, I tried to plug in the HDMI to VGA adapter, thinking I could potentially run the second monitor from the mobo, but that hasn't worked!

This isn't really a big issue for me, as I say, this thing is old and due to be swapped out soon-ish anyways, so I may just buy a new non-VGA monitor and be done with it next month. But just as I like to have YT on my second monitor while I work thought I would ask here and see if anyone knows if I've just been 100% dumb dumb or if there's a way to get the second monitor going? Any ideas on why it won't respond from the HDMI port on the back of the mobo?

Sorry I'm an idiot haha!

Thanks all! And stay safe!
Matt.

Associate
OP
Haha, I managed to pick one up from ***elsewhere*** for £12 - same day delivery over it's £9 alternative so I'll class that as a bargain! Appreciate it!

I read online that I might be able to get the Mobo HDMI working in BIOS, so when I'm on lunch and can shut down for a good amount of time, I'll hop in and have a look - apparently I might just need to activate it and that'll be that!

Don
If it's an intel processor then yep normally just a case of enabling it in the BIOS (as it's normally automatically disabled with a PCI-E graphics card installed).

Great that you got a bargain, just a polite note regarding the naming of competitors - the rules can be found here

Back
Top Bottom