Recomend me a 120mm, 25mm case fan

Soldato
I replaced my P series exhaust with a Noctua S12A and seeing a couple of consistent degrees better System temps, the exhaust area has very low impedance

If its filtered the P series seem very good value but if it isnt you might want to look at something else

Soldato
Soldato
So i ordered the correct ones :confused:

I ordered the S12A because im using it for the case

or am i still wrong lol

Please just read the website in the which fan is right for me section, I am rubbish at explaining

The S12A is for exhaust like the back of the case or ceiling unless the intake is not filtered and has open mesh

The F12 is for intake if its filtered, heat sinks and rads

To be honest I replaced my Arctic P14 intakes with Noctua last night and the Noctua are going back, the temps are the same and the Noctua are much louder at the same rpm and significantly more expensive

I would honestly cancel, save you money and get the Arctic, I think I'm going to return all my Noctua fans while I still can and put the Arctic fans back in, the cost Vs performance difference isn't worth it, especially on the intakes

Last edited:
Soldato
Exactly, I'm also returning my S12A and going back to the Arctic P12 for exhaust, although the S12A is better for exhaust application, the cost difference doesn't justify it so I'm going to get my money back while I still can

Soldato
It's the F12 you want but hold off for a few hours as I've just installed the 140mm versions in place of arctic P series and I'll know if they are better or not in a few hours time
NF-F12 has crappy acoustics.
In fact it's one of the crappiest fans I've handled in 25 years of PC hobby.
Because of marketing BS design its noise profile is restless with notable frequency spikes in it.

And motor (shared with preceding NF-P12) is even worser and vibrates more than internal combustion engine without balancing.
Unless "bungee cord" mounted like some badly vibrating HDD that vibration will make case produce lots of noise...
It makes already 1½cm thick plywood table produce noise.

That fan is one of the reasons why NH-U12S has been for many years more than little overpriced CPU cooler.

Soldato
NF-F12 has crappy acoustics.
In fact it's one of the crappiest fans I've handled in 25 years of PC hobby.
Because of marketing BS design its noise profile is restless with notable frequency spikes in it.

And motor (shared with preceding NF-P12) is even worser and vibrates more than internal combustion engine without balancing.
Unless "bungee cord" mounted like some badly vibrating HDD that vibration will make case produce lots of noise...
It makes already 1½cm thick plywood table produce noise.

That fan is one of the reasons why NH-U12S has been for many years more than little overpriced CPU cooler.

I was testing NF-A14 and they are going back, I am really disappointed with them. £22 each for the Chromax version and the significantly cheaper P14s are quieter at higher RPM

Soldato
nice and quite, good flow rate for a slower fan than the P12
Only fan specs telling anything really usefull are size, weight and RPM.
(+ starting voltage and current)
Rest has very little usefull value.

Advertised airflow is as usefull as car's top speed in free fall when dropped from airplane.
And advertised pressure can be compared to how loud noise car's engine makes with gear at neutral when car isn't going anywhere.
You surely wouldn't buy car based on such useless data, or would you?

Both specs could be better than in other fan, which still wins in real world situation:
https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress....w-specs-are-poor-measures-of-fan-performance/

And in most real world uses you also want that airflow performance compared at some actual noise level.
Meaning actual real world airflow at some speed is also pretty meaningless, because fans can make widely different level and type of noise at same RPM.
Calm and smooth noise profile without frequency spikes allows higher RPM for same "irritation level".
While bad design's noises can demand lowering speed quite lot.
And fan vibration induced noise is another noise source contributing to how fast you can run fan.

Soldato
I was testing NF-A14 and they are going back, I am really disappointed with them. £22 each for the Chromax version and the significantly cheaper P14s are quieter at higher RPM
Did you try running fan when holding it in hand from corner?
Any above minimal level of vibration is easy to feel.
I'm not sure if those 14cm fans have better motors than NF-F12 and NF-P12, at least marketing BS seems to be same.

Soldato
Did you try running fan when holding it in hand from corner?
Any above minimal level of vibration is easy to feel.
I'm not sure if those 14cm fans have better motors than NF-F12 and NF-P12, at least marketing BS seems to be same.

Sorry when I say "P" I'm referring to the Arctic's

They are definitely going back, buying these Noctua fans has proved how much of a bargain the Arctic fans really are. The Noctua's perform slightly better in terms of System Temp, GPU and CPU remained in margin of error so for the cost difference I've decided its not worth it as the Noctua were just too loud for me

Soldato
Sorry when I say "P" I'm referring to the Arctic's
I already know Arctic P12s run extremely smoothly both noise profile and vibration wise.
Where as NF-P12 at least had overall nice noise profile with that garbage vibrating roller motor, until NF-F12 trashed acoustics.

Back
Top Bottom