Recommend a 27" Monitor

Associate
OP
trapped dust is not just for glossy screens.

Sorry, i meant the screens with the tempered glass panel attached to them (which some of the cheap Korean models have).

my asus 1440p had 2 bits of dust trapped in. one of which i saw, and the second the rma checker guy saw! :O

samsung has 0 dust. but one would expect that (and more) for the price

Did your Asus have a glass screen?

Soldato
I have a Benq 120hz 24" and a hazro 27" 1440p monitor.

The Benq is great for gaming, its not so hot for general usage though, the hazro is great for everything but struggles on some games at 1440p with my setup (GTX 680, i7 @ 4.4ghz), for games that its fine in, ill use the hazro, or for fps ill use the benq.

Associate
OP
I have a Benq 120hz 24" and a hazro 27" 1440p monitor.

The Benq is great for gaming, its not so hot for general usage though, the hazro is great for everything but struggles on some games at 1440p with my setup (GTX 680, i7 @ 4.4ghz), for games that its fine in, ill use the hazro, or for fps ill use the benq.

Do you notice any ghosting/motion blur with the Hazro screen? The Hazro HZ27WC seems identical to the cheaper Korean Achieva Shimian... I've also noticed the DGM IPS-2701WPH appears identical to one of the cheaper Korean Crossover models.

or get another 680. its worth it for full fps at 1440p ;)

That makes me think my HIS 7950 IceQ Boost will struggle at 1440p with everyhting on high (runs great at 1080p with everything maxed out on all games i've played so far :)). I guess the other option would be a 120HZ monitor, but then games would need to run at 120fps with vsync enabled to gain any benefit (i'm sure that's how it works anyway).

Last edited:
Associate
well, i dont have a 680. but without using both cores on the 690, i wouldnt get 60 fps on games such as alan wake at full settings 1440p.

people say you can get away with less AA though, but havent tried

Associate
Do you notice any ghosting/motion blur with the Hazro screen? The Hazro HZ27WC seems identical to the cheaper Korean Achieva Shimian... I've also noticed the DGM IPS-2701WPH appears identical to one of the cheaper Korean Crossover models.

That makes me think my HIS 7950 IceQ Boost will struggle at 1440p with everyhting on high (runs great at 1080p with everything maxed out on all games i've played so far :)). I guess the other option would be a 120HZ monitor, but then games would need to run at 120fps with vsync enabled to gain any benefit (i'm sure that's how it works anyway).

All of those 27" IPS 2560x1440 screens are pretty much the same panel but with (slightly) different cases/stands.

To get the best gaming performance you need to go crossfire/sli imo. Even the 7970 and 680 will struggle at times at that resolution. My 6950 crossfire setup does cope well with the resolution but in some recent games I'm having to knock down the detail slightly.

Associate
OP
All of those 27" IPS 2560x1440 screens are pretty much the same panel but with (slightly) different cases/stands.

To get the best gaming performance you need to go crossfire/sli imo. Even the 7970 and 680 will struggle at times at that resolution. My 6950 crossfire setup does cope well with the resolution but in some recent games I'm having to knock down the detail slightly.

Lowering AA on a higher res monitor should be ok without noticing it too much :). I would go crossfire, but the second PCIe slot on my micro-ATX board is only rated at 4x and i'm only using a 600W PSU :( (i also hate micro-stutter with dual GPU configs). I don't want to splash out again on a faster GPU either... I see my 1440p gaming dream slowly fading away (until sometime next year at least :D).

Associate
OP
Just buy this Samsung S27B350HS 27 Inch Widescreen HDMI LED Monitor

I'm not a big fan of Samsung to be honest... I returned 2 laggy Samsung TV's a couple of years ago and plumped for an LG (never looked back). I also once had a 20" Samsung monitor that died in under a year and Samsung (or the reps to be more precise) got arsy with me after i complained about their engineers chewing up the plastic casing during the repair... I even had to tighten the screws myself! I had a similar experience with Acer not so long ago too! :rolleyes:.

Anyway, isn't that Samsung using a 1080p TN panel? I always thought 1080p looked a bit crap on monitors above 24" (this doesn't seem true with most TV's though)... But that's my opinion. I don't even think it's 120hz either :confused:. I would consider it if it was 120hz with 3D support for AMD cards.

Last edited:
Associate
Have you thought about a 16:10 24" IPS monitor @ 1920x1200? The 7950 will handle it very well and there is a chunk of extra screen real estate as well. The Dell U24xx monitors are pretty good.

Associate
OP
Have you thought about a 16:10 24" IPS monitor @ 1920x1200? The 7950 will handle it very well and there is a chunk of extra screen real estate as well. The Dell U24xx monitors are pretty good.

I'll definitely look into it if the response time and input lag are low :). I've decided against one of those Korean screens after trying out a few (friends of mine have bought them recently)... The response time is fairly good (as far as IPS goes) and the image quality is great, but i still notice ghosting/blurring with FPS and some other games :rolleyes:.

I think i'll look into a 120hz TN panel as i want a 'clean' gaming experience... The viewing angles don't bother me and have always been a silly argument for gamers (who plays games from a wide angle at their desk?). My current IPS monitor (LG IPS235V-BN) has great colour, good image quality (even if the AG coating is a bit aggressive) and low input lag... But it still has some ghosting/blurring which is more pronounced with certain games/content. I know it's IPS, but it's supposedly a 6-bit panel, so 'downgrading' to a TN panel probably isn't that much of a downgrade seeing as they are also 6-bit. In the end i'll have a faster response time, 120hz and 3D if i ever decide to use it.

Finding a 120hz monitor is easy, but finding one that supports 3D with AMD cards isn't (AMD HD3D i think it's called). Can anyone recommend an AMD friendly 3D monitor? Preferably 24" or above. Cheers :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm seriously thinking about going back to the good old LG W2442PE-BF which was an amazing 24" monitor! I had to return mine to Amazon some time ago because it started making a high pitched noise (and they didn't have any left in stock :()... That's when i decided to purchase my current LG IPS235V-BN screen which is good, but i want a faster response time (only a 120hz monitor could possibly beat my previous LG screen).

I've ruled out 27" IPS screens (or any IPS screen for that matter) until the panels get faster some time in the future. I also don't want a 27" 1080p screen or a 1200p screen (FOV and stretching issues etc...), so i think a 24" 1080p TN panel is the way to go for me :).

Not sure if 120hz will make much of a difference anyway and it seems 3D is not quite upto scratch yet (especially with AMD GPU's). Think i'll sell my 6 month old LG IPS screen :cool:.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom