Recommend a blow torch for the kitchen

Soldato
Hi all

Are you able to recommend a blow torch for kitchen use? (Finishing off sous vide, steaks, fish, etc).

I have read enough to know that the kitchen ones aren't worth anyone's time - but where do I start!

Man of Honour
If you want something cheap then just buy a butane one from B&Q. I've used one for a few years and it has been great.

If you want something better then look at a Searzall or the like.

A mapp torch would be somewhere in between - better than butane but having something like the Searzall would give you a more even browning.

Associate
If you want a Searzall you need a decent blowtorch to run it as well, so it might be worth investing in one in the interim.

The Searzall guys recommend the Bernzomatic TS8000, but they're pretty hard to source in the UK. Screwfix stock the TS4000 though, and have another torch made by Rothenberger which looks identical to the TS8000 albeit from a different brand.

The TS4000 would power a Searzall if you got one eventually, but it's got less power, which I don't necessarily think is a bad thing when you're using a proper DIY torch for kitchen jobs.

Soldato
OP
Has anyone had experience with using a DIY blowtorch directly on food? Any fuel make it onto the food to taint the taste?

I heard this could be a problem, but also know most star restaurants use DIY torches directly.

Man of Honour
I use that kind of blow torch and it's fine as long as you don't hold it too close to the food. If you do you'll just burn the outside rather than create a nice maillard crust. I've never had the issue of being able to taste the fuel.

Man of Honour
It's fine being held at an angle (though I'm not sure I've tried holiding it upside down/etc). If you're doing anything other than just holding it steady you'll need to give it a minute to fully warm up though - otherwise it will go a bit crazy with yellow flame if you get any kind of flare-up from the food.

Back
Top Bottom