Recommend a gaming mouse that is similar to the WMO 1.1a

Associate
Hello all,

Recently found my old WMO 1.1a from years past, plugged it in and decided to give it a go and was shocked just how much I love the shape and overall feel of this old mouse. I'm wondering if anyone out there can recommend a more modern mouse that is similar in shape and feel to the old WMO1.1a but with a few extras like side buttons (just two are fine) and a slightly higher DPI sensor (I typically set the mouse to 1000DPI and adjust the game sensitivity right down). It doesn't need anything fancy like lighting, in fact I'd prefer it didn't have any of that on there. Just needs to have a good optical sensor and a similar shape/weight to the old wmo1.1a.

I currently have a G402 and while it is a perfectly capable mouse, I cannot seem to get on with the shape of it, using it for longer periods of time causes me considerable discomfort that the WMO doesn't seem to cause!

Edit: Would the Zowie EC2-A fit the above criteria?

Last edited:
Soldato

One of the closest. Which isn't actually closed at all, but I like it enough. There isn't a mainstream mouse that gets close to WMO.

But, maybe, the XTRFY M3, the new Coolermaster, the Scream One (although I would never recommend Finalmouse)... I'd love a revamped WMO, simple, light, with 3360, and not made by *****.

BTW, that's my Holy Grail, and I'm not alone. But nobody's listening. Mice manufacturers aren't interested, WMO isn't 'sexy'.

Associate
OP
Cheers for the replies, think I'm going to go with the G403 then, seems to be a decent shape and has the thumb buttons I'm after!

One of the closest. Which isn't actually closed at all, but I like it enough. There isn't a mainstream mouse that gets close to WMO.

But, maybe, the XTRFY M3, the new Coolermaster, the Scream One (although I would never recommend Finalmouse)... I'd love a revamped WMO, simple, light, with 3360, and not made by *****.

BTW, that's my Holy Grail, and I'm not alone. But nobody's listening. Mice manufacturers aren't interested, WMO isn't 'sexy'.

Same here! (well, with a side button added)

Man of Honour
The closest you will get is the original Zowie FK Pro/2013 - sensor is almost identical in response but better, shape is very close however it is around 1-2mm smaller scale in every direction which depending on your hand size might be a problem - they tried a few different size/shapes with the FK1 (which is closer to the shape/scale of the WMO but slightly off in different ways) and 2 but you'd need to try them to see which suited you best.

The G403 is more a replacement for the Intellimouse Optical/Version 3.

Soldato
The closest you will get is the original Zowie FK Pro/2013

I'm sorry to say, but WMOs they are not. None of the FKs, from the original FK to the FK1 (I've had both). They are just too small, they 'feel' too small and pencil-like. And it's not just about the height, too thin, front too shallow (more like a Sensei), rear also too shallow, offers no palm support (ZA12 better).

The FM Scream One / Tournament Pro are the closest in terms of shape, but yikes, it's a FM. The Original FM shape was more towards that kind of shape as well, except for the stupid thumb groove (and yeah, I got one of these too).

Man of Honour
Though slimmer by 1-2mm in every direction they are about as close as you are going to get (including how close the sensor is to what made the WMO good and weight, etc.) and though slightly shallower at the front its nothing like the Sensei - its a bit deceptive as they aren't as fat as the WMO so if you do have a larger hand it might not work - for me its close enough I adjusted pretty much instantly though would have preferred it that little bit fatter.

Unfortunately can't find the Sensei - think my brother is borrowing it - but I have the Kinzu, WMO 1.1a and FK Pro to hand:

m9lkkZO.png

IIRC from when I had it the Sensei is more like the Intelimouse version 3.

Last edited:
Soldato
I settled on the Sensei after my last 1.1a packed in. Couldn't be bothered to source them anymore.

I was tempted by the knockoff replica's you get from hk on the bay.. couldn't find any reviews though.

Man of Honour
The knockoffs mostly have poor sensors nothing like the original though 1-2 places are still selling OEM rebranded ones. I bought up all the remaining stock from one place but now settled on the FK which as I have a medium sized hand fits very close to the original - if you have a larger hand and/or like to rest it more into the palm (I bias a bit towards claw grip) then it won't work as well like olivier mentioned.

Man of Honour
Tech stuff in general has been getting more expensive - probably mostly linked to the dollar exchange rate and "brexit" stuff.

Associate
I love the shape of WMO, it is the most comfortable and the ergonomic shape ever. I have tried many mouses, but none comes close to WMO. Here's my experience with some of the mices:

FK1/FK2 - the shell is too slippery, and the mouse slips out of hand
G403 - the mouse has an "ergonomic" shape, which is completely different from WMO. In general, I found that an ergonomic shape is good if you keep your palm on the mouse. However, if you often switch your hand between a keyboard and the mouse, then the symmetric shape causes much less distraction (because it does not impose on how you put your hand on it)
Razer abyssus - generally comfortable, but a bit too small
Sensei - the lip is too low
the list goes on…

How difficult can it be to create a modern version of the mouse with the same shape, texture and a higher DPI sensor?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It is strange how no one can seem to make a 1:1 modern equivalent of all the things that were good about the original WMO 1.1a it isn't like its a completely niche market.

The Avago 33xx series sensors though are pretty much exactly what an updated sensor like the WMO had should be the main problem is the shape, weight and texture.

Associate
Unfortunately, computer mouses have become more of a fashion accessory than a tool, there is too much fixating on flashing LEDs and transformer looking mices.

What’s the point of coming up with all these fancy shapes, if the old WMO shape worked so well? It is the same as trying to create a wheel which is not round, because round would be too ‘boring’ and not exciting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom