Recommend a good PSU?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I am currently in the middle of a large PC overhaul (bigger than I thought it would be), and I am on the hunt for a good, new PSU for my system.

I am moving into a new case soon (Coolermaster ATCS 840 hopefully: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-159-CM)

and I may want/need to change my PSU.

All I can tell you about the current one, is that is the one that came with my Alienware PC. It is a 1000 Watt OEM PSU, whatever that means. Not sure what the quality is like, but it has never caused me any problems.

This PC will be running a i7-920 on a Gigabyte UD-5 mobo, with 6GB RAM, possibly 3-4 SATA hard drives, a fair few fans connected to the board or PSU (or fan controller) and two GTX 275s in SLi. I also have a Creative sound card. I also have a SATA DVD drive, and a front bay card reader. I also plan to install a fan controller.

The PC runs around 6-8 USB devices at any given time.

What would be a good, solid, PSU for this system. Not too expensive, but push the boat if it is really worth it.

Just to add, the Thermaltake Power Supply Calculator (http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/Power) recommends a PSU Wattage of at least 814W at 100% load for everything I have in my PC (this includes 25% capacitor ageing). This includes overclocking my CPU.

Thanks ^^

Last edited:
Soldato
This is the the one I have, and I thoroughly recommend it. Its up to 91% efficient, nice and quiet and modular. Here is a review.

However, if you want to save some money the 750W version should power your system fine and is built just like its 850w bigger brother.

As an alternate PSU, this non-modular is fantastically high quality and will suit your system great, all while costing less than the Corsairs.

Soldato
To be fair there isn't as much difference between the 2 as you would think.

It's best to rate a PSU on it's combined +12v output rather than it's total these days.

Corsair HX 850W outputs 840w (70A) +12v
BeQuiet 1000w outputs 900W (75A) +12v

The Corsair is the newest unit with better efficiency and a far better price.

Associate
The Corsair is the newest unit with better efficiency and a far better price

Agree about the price but that is a very bold statement about the efficiency, the most efficient PSU is the Corsair HX750 which was rated as 89% in a true lab test under full load others are all around 87% I think

Soldato
I think he meant that of the two (Be Quiet 1000W and Corsair HX 850W) the corsair is more efficient.

The HX750 and hx850 are very similar units, if you have a review which shows the 750W as being more efficient, that's fair enuf. But both PSUs seem to come out very similar, main difference is the top rated power and the price.

Associate
Listen to cmndr andi and go with either corsair psu. I got one when my coolermaster blew up!. Been Solid so far and my friend has had one for years with no troubles too.

Back
Top Bottom