Recommend a Motherboard to run i7 6700k

Associate
Hi All,

I'm upgrading my PC due to landing a 6700k for a good price. I actually run a 2600k currently but the chip come up and thought i would take the plunge and upgrade.

The problem i'm having is what board to choose to pair with the 6700k I've not upgraded since circa 2011 so have not really been following the hardware scene for a while.

Can anyone recommend a good board in the £120-£140 price range? I've always been keen on Gigabyte boards as i've used there RMA service in the past and being UK based and actually a good service i'm kind of keen to buy one of their boards again.

I do plan on eventually overclocking to if that plays a factor.

So fire away with any recommendations peeps.

Thanks!

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any Z170 board in that sort of price range. There are so many models from each company and they're all much of a muchness. Just pick the one which has the most features you personally desire and that you like the look of.

Associate
Honestly, you can't go wrong with any Z170 board in that sort of price range. There are so many models from each company and they're all much of a muchness. Just pick the one which has the most features you personally desire and that you like the look of.

^^This. Pick one with enough external and internal USB ports, an M.2 slot or two, and capable of running SLI/Crossfire (most do), plus any other features or aesthetics that interest you. You can't really go wrong with the major brands (MSi, Gigabyte, Asus).

Associate
OP
I really like the look of the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5 and the GA-Z170X-Ultra Gaming. Just doing a bit of reading up on both of the boards but i do like the look of Gigabytes offerings.

Associate
OP
What board did you go for in the end as I've just ordered the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon to go with a 6700k Skylake build I`m doing. I`m normally a Gigabyte fan but thought I would dip my toe in the MSI water.

I am still yet to decide. I still like the look of the Gigabytes. Have you received you MSI board? How are you finding it?

Soldato
Updated my PC today with i7 6700k, MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon and its a pretty nice board. Had trouble free installation.

2924u2x.jpg

iojm82.jpg

Soldato
One thing to check. After going back into Windows 10 it wasnt activated. It said I dont have the correct digital licence. It said I should associate my PC with the MS account before doing the upgrade so Windows would activate afterwards. Too late for me! However my PC was associated with my account. So it said follow the troubleshooter which had the activate windows after a major hardware change route and after following that I still got the same error.

So I went onto MS website and did a chat with one of their tech guys. They used logmein to remote onto my PC and first we opened run and typed slui 3 which asked for the CD key, we then used the Windows 8.1 pro retail key but it still errored. She then activated telephone activation and after that Win 10 was activated.

update: registered my MSI motherboard and completed the survey for extra 3 months warranty free. Noticed the promotions page and turns out with the M/B I get Total War Warhammer game code free! No mention of this in the box at all.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Not an Asus z170 pro gamer..
Not enough USB ports.
Far too many bios updates suggest a lot of flaws, at least being fixed.
Budget selection of accessories and I paid I feel too much for it. Look at other Asus or manufacturers

Back
Top Bottom