Recommend Me: 27" Gaming Monitor

Associate
I'm after something I thought might be an easy ask:
27"
144hz refresh rate because I play FPSs more than any other type of game
Freesync, because I have an RX480/8GB
1440 vertical res, because 4k seems a bit pointless with my current card and I'm unlikely to own a card to do 4k properly for quite a few years.

I have seen the Acer XF270HU and Asus MG279Q, but both these screens are nearly three years old. Has there been nothing that fits the bill since?

Associate
OP
The issues I've seen with that one are; 40cm deep stand. That's a lot of desk space for a screen! And you're paying HDR prices for not true HDR.

Associate
OP
What are people's preferences when it comes to IPS vs TN for gaming? I know IPS is meant to give the better image quality, but I'm seeing the odd screen like the AOC AG271QX that are TN and get consistently good reviews.

Permabanned
VA is better for gaming as better blacks and contrast ratio but AFAIK (I am not 100% sure) Samsung do not do proper VA but IPS-Like VA:

IPS would be better for pro photo work but not as good blacks or contrast ratio.

TN IMO is horrid but used to be only one fast enough (1ms) for high end FPS gaming but no longer the case.

What is AHVA?
Yet another proprietary "IPS-like" panel type that offers similar performance to PLS. Developed by AUO, AHVA is short for Advanced Hyper-Viewing Angle. The acronym can be slightly confusing as AHVA technology will sometimes be mixed up with Vertical Alignment (VA, see below) even though it makes use of In-Plane Switching (IPS).

https://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

Back
Top Bottom