Recommend me a Bundle upgrade...

Associate
Current rig; i5 - 4430 (Corsair H60 AIO) + 8gb 2400 (Vengeance) + MSi Gaming 5 mobo z97 - GTX 1060-6gb + Samsung EVO 500gb - 540 Carbide + 750W Bronze Corsair PSU + ACER GSYNC monitor

Use case :- Solid 1440p Gaming Rig (no workstation stuff) to last next 3 years.

I'm wanting to replace my CPU+MOBO+RAM - sticking with INTEL , and shifting upto 16gb RAM.

For £700...Any recommendations for best bang for my buck given use case?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'll add in, I play ARMA3 a lot! :)

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/pc-components/upgrade-bundles/intel-z370-overclocked-bundles

This one in particular...£679.94* for the i5-8600k + 16gb RAM

BU0A5OG_177513_800x800.jpg

I'm looking at these on the z370 - But I'm open to advice like "Avoid X-Mobo" or "I would actually do this...." or "You can do better if you buy x and y, and then buy Z from elsewhere etc".

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sell your 1060 to increase your budget and buy a 1080ti and i7-8700(if you MB can take it)

i7-8700 won't fit a z97 MOBO...So the whole point, is I'm replacing my CPU+MOBO+RAM as I'm like 4 generations behind, in terms of Mobo Gen, and 3 in CPU (Skylake, Kabylake, Coffeelake).

What is this fascination with having a FLAGSHIP GPU, on a 3 Gens behind CPU and a Mobo/RAM that's like 4 Gens behind?

GTX 1080 TI on it's own is £900....And doesn't solve my CPU being old, and my Mobo and RAM.

Associate
The main issue you're going to have is if you buy a gfx card thats faster then you have currently you won't have much budget left for the rest, and I think you'll need to for 1440 gaming.

Associate
OP
That isn't the premise of this post...The premise is that I want a Bundle that will allow me to upgrade my CPU+RAM+MOBO, so I can continue gaming at 1440p. My Graphics are fine, and if necessary I can always downgrade the quality to keep the FPS up, the issue is I'm massively behind on the CPU and the generations of mobos. (I can buy another GPU next year)

Games like ARMA3 don't care about Graphics, they care about CPU.

If I'd wanted to replace my GPU, I'd have said so above...

Soldato
An i7 8700K would be within your budget. You could reuse your current H60 although I don't know how well it would handle an overclocked i7. The Alphacool 360mm AIO below is currently pre-order but it is a solid option if you want to order it later on. Also if you are going to reuse the H60 then you will need thermal paste if you don't have any, so added some Thermal Grizzly.

The Corsair Air 540 can take a 360mm in the front.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £694.91 (includes shipping: £0.00)

If you don't want to wait on the Alphacool then maybe go with something like a Corsair H110i Extreme for £109.99 if you want to stay on budget.​

Caporegime
That isn't the premise of this post...The premise is that I want a Bundle that will allow me to upgrade my CPU+RAM+MOBO, so I can continue gaming at 1440p. My Graphics are fine, and if necessary I can always downgrade the quality to keep the FPS up, the issue is I'm massively behind on the CPU and the generations of mobos. (I can buy another GPU next year)

Games like ARMA3 don't care about Graphics, they care about CPU.

If I'd wanted to replace my GPU, I'd have said so above...

Because a GPU upgrade will see you a better upgrade.

Soldato
360 Eisbaer unit Lee linked beats Corsair new flagship 280/360 units :)

Though 240 performs on the other spectrum side, 25mm thin unit lacks without that 3rd fan

Mines hits 88c - 8700k at 5.1ghz 1.345v and then 60c gaming

Caporegime
The i5 4430 is going to struggle though if he sticks a 1080 ti in there.

But with only a £700 budget and a demand that his system has to last 3 years gaming at 1440p their is only one way to go surely? Plus he can always pop a 4700k in there in a year or two when funds allow. It's a delicate balance of course, but graphical power is where I'd put my funds into.

With a 1080Ti he's going to be more than happy (generally, not just Arma which I gather taxes cpu power a LOT),than with just a cpu upgrade. I think it's not going to be very good at all with a gaming remit (with such a weak GPU and taxing resolution).

If you don't mind low settings then go for a platform upgrade by all means :)

Want to concentrate on Arma? Then a platform upgrade. Want a more general gaming upgrade? Then a Ti will power you through this next 3 years.

Last edited:
Soldato
Blend of GPu CPU upgrade. Clock that 8600k to 5ghz, should take care of CPU bound games via core speed and core count . then 1070 to handle GPU bound games at 1440p .

Would mean selling up the gtx 1080p to claw back £200 maybe ? Still be £100 short

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,031.01 (includes shipping: £11.10)​

Soldato
But with only a £700 budget and a demand that his system has to last 3 years gaming at 1440p their is only one way to go surely? Plus he can always pop a 4700k in there in a year or two when funds allow. It's a delicate balance of course, but graphical power is where I'd put my funds into.

With a 1080Ti he's going to be more than happy (generally, not just Arma which I gather taxes cpu power a LOT),than with just a cpu upgrade. I think it's not going to be very good at all with a gaming remit (with such a weak GPU and taxing resolution).

If you don't mind low settings then go for a platform upgrade by all means :)

Want to concentrate on Arma? Then a platform upgrade. Want a more general gaming upgrade? Then a Ti will power you through this next 3 years.

I watched a video on youtube of a few different gpu's and the GTX 1060 actually handles Arma3 pretty well at 1440p. As long as he doesn't expect to run Ultra settings on every game then a 1060 is surprisingly decent at this resolution. I mean the difference between High/V.High or Ultra isn't that great in most games from an aesthetic standpoint but it can have a big impact on fps.

Back
Top Bottom