Recommend me a log cabin supplier

Associate
I'm converting my garage into a room and want a new workshop / shed in the garden to migrate all my junk to. I'm looking for recommendations for log cabin suppliers. Where to look and where to not! There are so many out there, it's hard to tell which are good value and good quality.

I see someone mentioned Tuin, so have been browsing their site. I've also been looking at logcabinkits too.

Cheers :D

Soldato
I used to work for a sister company of these people.

Google
Pinelog.co.uk

Bakewell, Derbyshire

Maybe able to help, they certainly do the large ones for holiday parks etc and bespoke types for homes

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Skinners Sheds. I have one and I know several people with them. The quality is superb and the pricing is reasonable.

This looks spot on to what I want, but unfortunately they don't deliver to my postcode! Thanks for the suggestion.

I used to work for a sister company of these people.

Google
Pinelog.co.uk

Bakewell, Derbyshire

Maybe able to help, they certainly do the large ones for holiday parks etc and bespoke types for home

Appreciate the help. Looks like these are just for larger ones. Some of them look better than my house! :cry: I doubt they do the kits I'm looking for.

Tea Drinker
Don
I bought mine from Dunster a few years ago, very happy no issues, up in a day then another day trimming out and making it look nice.

However, the market is mental at the moment, timber prices are up, demand is up my advice is to look at what they are producing now in terms of quality, you could end up with a load of matchsticks

Soldato
You could always look at having one made to your spec.

My dad did this during summer of 2020 and it has been good. Price was not far off a pre-specced one, but he’s had 100% control over what it looks like :)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the extra votes of confidence for Tuin, I've been taking a look at their site and blog posts. They do seem honest and high quality. Really interesting to hear about the prices too. I'm aware things have gone up, but good to have some kind of reference on that.

I'll be checking out Dunster when I get the time. There so much choice out there, it takes so long browsing each site. I suspect I wont need to go custom made. I did consider building one myself. I'm doing a small extension myself and have family who have scratch built similar buildings to a great standard. But I was really drawn to how quick and hassle free these kit builds can be. The less time it takes away from me doing my current extension the better!

Soldato
We had an absolute nightmare with Dunster. No support at all and a lot of work went in to constructing a compromise from the parts supplied as they wouldn't assist.

Permabanned
image.png

Associate
OP
We had an absolute nightmare with Dunster. No support at all and a lot of work went in to constructing a compromise from the parts supplied as they wouldn't assist.
Good to know, thank you. I took a look through their catalogue last night. Seems to me the Tuin look better quality and possibly come out a bit cheaper too. But of course hard to compare like for like. Turns out that Dunster is just around the corner from where some family live. Considered a visit if I could see their showroom, but not sure if that's open at the moment.

@ThatsWhatSheSaid I mean, you're not wrong, but I'm looking for something a little more processed than that :rolleyes:

Associate
OP
Ok guys, so I decided on a Tuin cabin. Thanks for the input. Put the order in for two months time when the weather should be little less stormy!
I went with this for about £2,400. Actually cost me a lot less than I thought I was going to pay.

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Lulea-Log-Cabin-3x4m.html

But they seem to want to sting you on the cost of their extras. I couldn't justify their recommendation of the Carefree treatment, at £74 for 2.5L, when they suggest you need 8 tins. That's £592 in paint?! Or 1/4 of the building cost. Same with the flooring and insulation. I do want to insulate it, and figure it will cost me about £200 for some 50mm celotex (or similar) based on what I bought some for recently from a local merchant. But they're asking for over £800 for their insulation pack. Crazy. People must fall for it.

I'm thinking of getting some https://bedec.co.uk/barn-paint/ as it has some good recommendations.

For my log cabin I first coated it with this - https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/barrettine-premier-wood-preservative
then this for protection - https://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/barrettine-log-cabin-treatment

It's held up very well, just needing a top up of the protection every couple years.

Agree we used the same.

I think the cabin treatment is designed to be a little "flaky" as it has to be able to move with the expansion.

Ok guys, so I decided on a Tuin cabin. Thanks for the input. Put the order in for two months time when the weather should be little less stormy!
I went with this for about £2,400. Actually cost me a lot less than I thought I was going to pay.

https://www.tuin.co.uk/Lulea-Log-Cabin-3x4m.html

But they seem to want to sting you on the cost of their extras. I couldn't justify their recommendation of the Carefree treatment, at £74 for 2.5L, when they suggest you need 8 tins. That's £592 in paint?! Or 1/4 of the building cost. Same with the flooring and insulation. I do want to insulate it, and figure it will cost me about £200 for some 50mm celotex (or similar) based on what I bought some for recently from a local merchant. But they're asking for over £800 for their insulation pack. Crazy. People must fall for it.

I'm thinking of getting some https://bedec.co.uk/barn-paint/ as it has some good recommendations.

I did the roof myself, solid insulation, 9mm osb on to of that, the a EPDM roof liner on that.
I actually also built a false back wall (outside) similar but its in effect floating only held in place at a few locations (survived the storm so much be good)

I insulated under the floor with just building polystyrene from wickes. We had the thick boards for the floor so that seemed to create a good cold barrier.

Soldato
Nice looking cabin mate.

make sure you have a stable base -Do not put it on bare ground - use timber cross pieces underneath for it to sit on - also do not fix cabin to them -If ever in future they rot you can replace them. Or build a brick wall square for it to sit on,
Also buy your own roof felt and buy the thickest and the best. - The felt that was supplied to my summer house was cheap thin stuff so I put another layer on top.

Associate
I bought mine from 1-click log cabins.
4.5mx2.5m with 44mm thick walls.
Great to deal with, was a fair wait for it to be delivered (ordered Oct 20 and delivered Jan 21)
Used Osmo paint to cover it. At £75 for 2lts it isn't cheap, but it is very good and well recommended.
Agree with the bit above regarding the felt, the weather this week has played havoc with what was supplied with mine and I have bought an edpm kit to cover (when the wind allows).
I have built a bar in mine, it has 4" thick insulation on the top of the roof boards and 1" thick between the battens under the floor.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Forgive the necro bump - had our Stian cabin from tuin fitted the other week along with the roof and floor insulation and then the 28mm floor so should be good heat/cool wise however I now need to get on and treat it before I start running power.

I do want a very specific colour, which the carefree protect doesn't offer (and boy is that pricey, and only in a handful of colours) but I have found the colour I like in a decent paint. However before painting with that what is the recommend 'primer' or wood treatment for underneath? I saw some recommendations above but the links are failing, I'll try googling too.

Lie, I see you used Barretine, fullspizz Osmo. Mercenary Keyboard warrior, that Bedec looks good and seems to be 'all in one' and has a similar colour to what I'm after. Realistically, we will probably gone from here within the next five years or so, so it doesn't need to last 10 years or anything as whoever buys our place will inevitably want to repaint.

Back
Top Bottom