Recommend me a motherboard please…5900X

Soldato
Hi all

I have decided to join the 5900X club which should be a substantial upgrade from the 6700K I’m on now.

There seems to be a huge number of chipsets/boards that could do the job. I was considering just getting the x570 auros master but having reviewed my situation it might be ott for my needs.

I have my asus essence stx and gigabyte ac200 Wi-fi card so don’t need these in the mboard. I have a 970 Evo NVMe currently and will probably get a gen 4 drive at some point.

The x570 tomahawk seems to get a lot of love here although the review on ocuk hardly seems very awe inspiring (award revoked!). https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/threads/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-review.18921579/

Budget can stretch to £350 but as always less is better. Will be mated to 32gb CL16 crucial 3600.

thanks

Soldato
Also coming from 6700k yet to put everything together , bought 5900x and went with MSI x570 unify I myself was thinking over the tomahawk the unify is ott for my needs but wanted 3 m.2 gen 4 slots so covered in the future even though 2 would have been enough

Doesn't really help you but wouldn't worry about the tomahawk it's highly regarded

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the reply.

I spent most of the day reading reviews etc and then decided that the love for the tomahawk was justified, so it has been ordered and should arrive together with the 5900X tomorrow! Really looking forward to the speed boost!

Soldato
OP
Well all installed and running - easiest and fastest upgrade ever!

My Corsair 110i GT not doing too badly with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut keeping everything sub 65C after 1 hr of Prime 95! I guess the Phanteks Enthoo Primo with 14 140mm noctua fans helps ;)

Soldato
Well all installed and running - easiest and fastest upgrade ever!

My Corsair 110i GT not doing too badly with the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut keeping everything sub 65C after 1 hr of Prime 95! I guess the Phanteks Enthoo Primo with 14 140mm noctua fans helps ;)

Spread or pea sized application of paste ? :p

Soldato
OP
Spread or pea sized application of paste ? :p

Considered spreading...then decided to put a pea sized in the centre. Attached the cooler then removed to check even spread, only to find half the chip had nothing on it! Added 4 mini pea sizes to each quadrant. Perfect thin slither over the entire chip!

Soldato
Considered spreading...then decided to put a pea sized in the centre. Attached the cooler then removed to check even spread, only to find half the chip had nothing on it! Added 4 mini pea sizes to each quadrant. Perfect thin slither over the entire chip!

I have yet to put my system together but get OCD over thermal paste watched all sorts of videos of different applications on YouTube ,Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is difficult to spread

Yeah middle blob doesn't usually cover the outer edge

Associate
Kryonaut comes with little spatulas to spread the paste out (at least mine did) and this is the recommended way to apply it. Sqirt a line across the bottom of the CPU and spread upwards. Has worked beautifully for my 3900x and now 5950x.

Soldato
Kryonaut comes with little spatulas to spread the paste out (at least mine did) and this is the recommended way to apply it. Sqirt a line across the bottom of the CPU and spread upwards. Has worked beautifully for my 3900x and now 5950x.

I found the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut difficult to spread nothing like what they show in to the videos after searching more it's recommended to heat up the tube by hair dryer / drop it in hot glass of water so it spreads easier

Back
Top Bottom