• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

recommend me an AMD GPU thats more efficient ?

Caporegime
Ran superposition , put it on 4K optimised

hoved around 80 for a while, max was 83
bit better not by much

think its down to air flow, going to get new front case fan, switch it to a 4pin design to put onto motherboard to start with
i might be getting a 5700 XT to replace my GPU with also

2060 super will be going on sale for £299 on Friday - limited to 100 units on ocuk I believe as part of their 20 year celebration. so be quick.

After they sell out expect prices to double due to shortages incoming. you have been warned. coronavirus is causing factories to close down or run at less than capacity.

so the time to buy if you are in the market is now. rather than in a few weeks time.

Associate
Most efficient AMD gpu right now is 5700 non-XT.
but you don't want efficient, you want something with a good cooling system. Then top tier 5700XT should be good

Soldato
Ran superposition , put it on 4K optimised

hoved around 80 for a while, max was 83
bit better not by much

think its down to air flow, going to get new front case fan, switch it to a 4pin design to put onto motherboard to start with
i might be getting a 5700 XT to replace my GPU with also

Can you please show a picture of your case and its cooling configuration??

I ran an overclocked and overvolted RX470,and a overclocked GTX1080 in a mini-ITX system with different cases,and found case ventilation is an important factor. Mate had an RX580 too and it seemed OK,but they made sure the airflow was properly worked out.

So its not only the number of fans,but their airflow,the type(high pressure fans are better if the airflow is impeded),whether its a positive pressure or negative pressure fan setup,etc. Even things such as dried up thermal paste can cause issues.

Underboss
OP
Can you please show a picture of your case and its cooling configuration??

I ran an overclocked and overvolted RX470,and a overclocked GTX1080 in a mini-ITX system with different cases,and found case ventilation is an important factor. Mate had an RX580 too and it seemed OK,but they made sure the airflow was properly worked out.

So its not only the number of fans,but their airflow,the type(high pressure fans are better if the airflow is impeded),whether its a positive pressure or negative pressure fan setup,etc. Even things such as dried up thermal paste can cause issues.

here you go...

r0xLzAo.jpg.png

Soldato
1 x front
1 x rear

thats it
cant put any more at the front or back in this case (Coolermaster CM 690)

Heatsink is big, just misses the side of the case

time for a new case :D

That might explain it - I have a mini-ITX case,and have a 120mm and 140mm intake,and two 120mm exhausts.

I would add another intake and perhaps a top mounted exhaust.

I don't know if you caught my edit in the previous post,but a hot running GPU can be the result of crypto-malware,so I would make sure to run the antivirus and software such as Malwarebytes and Superantispyware,.just in case.

Soldato
not sure how a virus would jump from a physical Graphics card to a new PC build etc
but i will just in case, thanks :)

i wish i could fit another fan on the front, but i cant

Someone caught it when web browsing and it caused their R9 290 to run very hot. They removed it and the card went back to normal. They are quite common:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/racco...-range-to-steal-your-data-and-cryptocurrency/

Just worth a scan to check anyway.

I would probably add a 120mm intake on the bottom position near the PSU(make sure its covered by a dust filter),and one extra 120mm exhaust on the top.

Last edited:
Caporegime
thanks guys

jedi, yes that what is happening to me, gone back to older profile, changed it, re saved into another new profile, seems to be working, but ill give msi a go

Never had an issue with AB setting things or the overlay, just make sure all the Manual boxes are selected in Wattman and you're good to go.

Wattman is just trash for keeping settings, damn trash. You hear me @LtMatt , get them to fix this **** too while they're fixing the drivers.

edit - Tbf I love every other aspect of the drivers, esp the monitoring overlay it's just this for me has *never* worked right. Maybe hit Unwinder up for a bit of help.

Last edited:
Underboss
OP
Someone caught it when web browsing and it caused their R9 290 to run very hot. They removed it and the card went back to normal. They are quite common:
https://www.zdnet.com/article/racco...-range-to-steal-your-data-and-cryptocurrency/

Just worth a scan to check anyway.

I would probably add a 120mm intake on the bottom position near the PSU(make sure its covered by a dust filter),and one extra 120mm exhaust on the top.

There is a dust filter on the bottom of my case already, I can just put a fan over that?

Got 2 fans coming so the current ones in my case will be removed and added to bottom and top if needed , I'll do a heap of testing

Soldato
There is a dust filter on the bottom of my case already, I can just put a fan over that?

Got 2 fans coming so the current ones in my case will be removed and added to bottom and top if needed , I'll do a heap of testing

It should hopefully help with temperatures.

Thanks guys

I ran malwarebytes Free, found nothing
Kapersky also found nothing

That is good to hear - I would run superantispyware just as a final check.

Back
Top Bottom