Recommend PS4 jrpg for my granther

Associate
Get on the Ni No Kuni II hype train! You get to build up your own kingdom while doing all the classic stuff which I end up investing more time in that fighting.

Soldato
OP
Secondly. Grandfather (Granther) playing JRPGs, that's quite something.

He brought me up on the final fantasy series, his favourite is 8. He's played majority of the best jrpg.

On that note he is near the end of lost sphere, he's in the last section.
I should have been more specific, He really likes turn based combat like the final fantasy series, he likes exploring the world maps as well. He's played about 3 different tales games so I think I'll get zestria or the basteria game.

Soldato
The Summon Night franchise is turn-based tactical RPG games that's been long-running well-known in Asia that's not particularly well-known in the west.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWUmaq8rD_0
Might worth taking a look at.

I have got the Summon Night 6 for PS4 but not yet got time to play it, but years ago I played Summon Night 2 on PS1 and absolutely adored the game and the world that the story was based in.

However bewared that like all English localised JRPG, they would more than likely to suffer the usually shortcoming or the English script being different from what's being said in the original Japanese script and also sub-par English voice-acting, thus affecting player's perceptions of the characters.

I am playing XenoBlade 2 on Switch at the moment, and the English script has been dumbed down so much comparing to what are said in the Japanese dub...makes me wish I would have the option to just change dialogue subtitles from English to Japanese as well, not just the option to change the voice from English to Japanese.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bit of a bump, he's currently playing dragon quest and nearing the end. I've bought him kingdom kingdom hearts 3 on the cheap, is it much better than the first one on PS2 as he enjoyed that.

Associate
What about the Yakuza series?
Ni no Kuni II Revenant Kingdom
Octopath Traveler
Sleeping Dogs
NieR: Automata
Dragon Quest XI
Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance
Kingdom Hearts series
Monster Hunter World

Associate
JRPG:
Kingdom Hearts Series(Action)
Tales of Zestiria, Berseria(Prequel)(Action)
Tales of Vesperia(Action)
Nier Automata(Action)
Ni No Kuni II
Persona 5
Dragon Quest
Ys franchise
Dragons Dogma(Action)
.//Hack GU Last recode
Sekiro Shadow Die Twice (Action)
Nioh (Action)
Dark souls 1-3(Western,Action)
Bloodborne(Western,Action)
Oninaki - Set to be released later this month
Bloodstained(Metroidvania style)
Valkyria Chronicles(strategy/Action)
Atelier franchise
Disgaea franchise
Odin Speare
Toukiden(mission based with grind elements)
Monster Hunter World(mission based with grind elements)
God Eater(mission based with grind elements)
Star Ocean
Code Vein (western, action) - Out later this year

Enjoy

Soldato
I'm currently playing Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel. It's heavily story focused and battles are turn based, which is how I like my JRPGs :D Never really liked action combat.

TOCS also has number 2 released on PS4 and the localisation for 3 is due to be released in the USA/Europe in Autumn, so if enjoyed plenty more to play. The series essentially has an overriding story arch going through them all as they follow the main protagonist. The story isn't also one of your normal RPG tropes of having to save the world (at least so far), it's more about the political intrigues of a single nation state.

Be warned, the first game is set around a school term with a group of 17 year olds, the sequels apparently are much more open as they follow the protagonist on his journey.

Back
Top Bottom