Recommendations for first home studio lighting kit (photography)...?

Caporegime
Hi guys,

I am looking for a first-time home studio kit, that will let me take reliably decent portraits and product/food shots. I am thinking:

ALternatively I was also looking at getting parts of it in a kit like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HNIJG...UTF8&colid=1QARP7OL6JORJ&coliid=IQYQIYMPQ65YJ or this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2NFPNLSP55E9E

This should be fine for starters at the budget end, right? Any suggestions please for reliable budget models for all of the above? :)

Associate
If you're on a budget don't buy a continuous lighting setup unless you're doing product photography.

Generally speaking as well you're best buying things separately so you can get the best at a given price point. Nothing wrong with starting with one light, a couple of modifiers and a reflector or two which will be a cheap setup and very effective.

Soldato
The Lencarta Smartflash kit got Best Buy in the budget studio flash kits in Digital SLR Magazine this month.

There is a kit on the Bay that looked interesting though and had good feedback/reviews. The kit comprises of :

3 x 950W Continuous Head Unit
15 x 38W-5500K Fluorescent Bulbs
2 x 200cm Lighting Stands
3 x Softbox (50cmx70cm)
3 x Power cable (UK Plug with FUSE & EU adapter)
2 x Sand Bag
1 x Quality Carry Bag for softbox kit
1 x Light Stand With Boom Arm
2 x 0.85~2m Background Stands
3 x 0.76m Crossbars
3 x Backdrop Clamps
1 x Black non-woven fabrics Backdrop
1 x White non-woven fabrics Backdrop
1 x Green non-woven fabrics Backdrop
1 x Carrying Bag for background kit

£159.99 inc shipping which seems pretty reasonable.

Caporegime
OP
The Lencarta Smartflash kit got Best Buy in the budget studio flash kits in Digital SLR Magazine this month.

There is a kit on the Bay that looked interesting though and had good feedback/reviews. The kit comprises of :

3 x Softbox (50cmx70cm)
2 x Sand Bag
3 x 0.76m Crossbars
3 x Backdrop Clamps

Thanks. Please link to the Ebay kit to make it a little easier. :)

Soldato
I have this Lencarta kit http://www.lencarta.com/studio-ligh...martflash-studio-flash-lighting-kit_softboxes
Plus the backdrop rig. All great quality imo

I dont know about budget stuff, the whole point of having a studio setup is that you have that reliable light source and decent recycle times - I just doubt you get that with ultra cheap stuff.

I am probably selling my stuff soon as I just don't use it and actually prefer remote flashes with boxes now.

Caporegime
OP
I have this Lencarta kit http://www.lencarta.com/studio-ligh...martflash-studio-flash-lighting-kit_softboxes
Plus the backdrop rig. All great quality imo

I dont know about budget stuff, the whole point of having a studio setup is that you have that reliable light source and decent recycle times - I just doubt you get that with ultra cheap stuff.

I am probably selling my stuff soon as I just don't use it and actually prefer remote flashes with boxes now.

Thanks for the advice. To be honest, I am looking at starting with a continuous lighting setup as opposed to flash and strobe, so that the light output is consistent and I can quickly see the lay of the light on a model.

Associate
I'd suggest looking at a speedlite (or speedlight if you're one of *those* types ;) ) flash based setup rather than a continuous light system.

Caporegime
OP
I'd suggest looking at a speedlite (or speedlight if you're one of *those* types ;) ) flash based setup rather than a continuous light system.

You mean for the flexibility of being able to take it anywhere including outdoors etc?

I guess it does open more options.. but then again I guess I could also buy both continuous and speedlights and have them running off the same stands depending on my usage on the day?

EDIT - You are right, I'm going the Speedlight route as it will be much more flexible.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Any further recommendations for what size and type softboxes to get? I have done a fair bit of reading and Youtubing and have a good general idea of what size softboxes are required for certain situations... x:

1. Am I right in thinking that 1x Octagonal and 1x Rectangular or Square would give a good variance in being able to use the octagonal for a nice key/catch light for portaits, with the rectangular providing a nice fill light from the side?
  2. In terms of size, what would be the most versatile size for each of these in a small home studio? 80cm or 120cm for the Octagonal? 90x60 or 120x80 for the rectangular?
  3. What is the most convenient style of mount for the speedlights... B type? S type? Bowen?

Cheers. :)

Soldato
Any further recommendations for what size and type softboxes to get? I have done a fair bit of reading and Youtubing and have a good general idea of what size softboxes are required for certain situations... x:

1. Am I right in thinking that 1x Octagonal and 1x Rectangular or Square would give a good variance in being able to use the octagonal for a nice key/catch light for portaits, with the rectangular providing a nice fill light from the side?
  2. In terms of size, what would be the most versatile size for each of these in a small home studio? 80cm or 120cm for the Octagonal? 90x60 or 120x80 for the rectangular?
  3. What is the most convenient style of mount for the speedlights... B type? S type? Bowen?

Cheers. :)

I only dabble myself, but I have found the rectangular softboxes (Both 90/120 sizes are good) are my go to kit, I use them for both catch lights and fill (sometimes with a brolly for large areas). The catch light from a rectangular box is very pronounced, and the small octagonal softbox doesn't give the same effect.

I also got fed up using speedlights, they are perfectly OK, but I just kept an eye out on forums and ended up with 4 x 400 W strobes that have worked out approx £100 a strobe, and those are awesome for extended use, very reliable, and pretty much instant cycle times (I have 2 x Elichrom D4 Lites which are brilliant, the other 2 have a Bowen fit, and are a little clunkier).. It really depends on what you want, I'm strictly a noob and use a Hi-Lite for a lit background or reverse it for a black background, and just 15 shoots for friends (I only charge £20 for a session just to help cover some cost) and people are happy at the price, and I'm on the way for it paying for itself, when all I want it for is family stuff anyway..

Mount wise, I prefer Bowen S-Fit, the Elinchrom "EL" is a bit rubbish at times..

And that's the other thing, a cheap Sekonic meter is very useful, far, far less trial and error required, just work it all out once, and then when you move the lighting around, or set it up again, you can just balance the lighting so quickly back to your known good settings..

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
I only dabble myself, but I have found the rectangular softboxes (Both 90/120 sizes are good) are my go to kit, I use them for both catch lights and fill (sometimes with a brolly for large areas). The catch light from a rectangular box is very pronounced, and the small octagonal softbox doesn't give the same effect.

I also got fed up using speedlights, they are perfectly OK, but I just kept an eye out on forums and ended up with 4 x 400 W strobes that have worked out approx £100 a strobe, and those are awesome for extended use, very reliable, and pretty much instant cycle times (I have 2 x Elichrom D4 Lites which are brilliant, the other 2 have a Bowen fit, and are a little clunkier).. It really depends on what you want, I'm strictly a noob and use a Hi-Lite for a lit background or reverse it for a black background, and just 15 shoots for friends (I only charge £20 for a session just to help cover some cost) and people are happy at the price, and I'm on the way for it paying for itself, when all I want it for is family stuff anyway..

Mount wise, I prefer Bowen S-Fit, the Elinchrom "EL" is a bit rubbish at times..

And that's the other thing, a cheap Sekonic meter is very useful, far, far less trial and error required, just work it all out once, and then when you move the lighting around, or set it up again, you can just balance the lighting so quickly back to your known good settings..

I've been looknig at flash meters too... the Sekonic L-308S Flashmate for £119 on Ebay seems a decent price, no?

Or a Polaris for 99 quid on Amazon?

Associate
It's not purely about the money... the Polaris has an excellent reputation and reviews.

Sekonic certainly have the reputation for flash meters. I've seen plenty of photographers using their 308 meter. I've got a 358, though for 99.5% of what I use it for, a 308 would do just fine.

I don't recall having heard of the Polaris meters before, so based on that, I'd still make the same recommendation.

Caporegime
OP
Sekonic certainly have the reputation for flash meters. I've seen plenty of photographers using their 308 meter. I've got a 358, though for 99.5% of what I use it for, a 308 would do just fine.

I don't recall having heard of the Polaris meters before, so based on that, I'd still make the same recommendation.

Thanks but the Sekonic 08 unfortunately does not have aperture priority, which is BIG omission imo. It doesn't have multi-flash either. The Polaris does. It also uses AA batteries and not AAA, which is also a plus.

Think I'll give the Polaris a try. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Looking for a similar setup using a combination of Nissan I60 and Lencarter but the links no longer work. This thread came up after a quick Google. I currently possess one chroma key backdrop and one soft box with a Nissan I60 flash. To trigger the flash I have a remote shutter release from Hahnel (unsure of the spelling) so if anybody can come up with any recommendations that would compliment what I have already, that would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
Caporegime

3 x Softbox (50cmx70cm)
2 x Sand Bag
3 x 0.76m Crossbars
3 x Backdrop Clamps

Holy carp that’s a good deal, my bracket for the soft box cost more than that!

Back
Top Bottom