Recommendations

Associate
Hi all,

We have a newborn (11 weeks) and the wife has started to complain that her current car (2014 Nissan Juke) isn't big enough. The main reasons for this is although it's a 5 door, the rear doors aren't quite full width doors which means it can be tricky putting in the baby seat (passenger seat also needs pushing all the way forward). The other reason is that the pram doesn't fit in the boot if fully laid down or fully on its side, and even when at an angle its a squeeze.

She absolutely loves the car, mainly for its looks, yellow with black wing mirrors and alloys (upgraded 18") and stripe (hence the nickname Bumblebee) with black leather seats and yellow stripe and yellow stitching, part of the doorcard and other areas are also yellow. She also loves the surround cameras, and the other options like heated seats, DAB radio, cruise control, Bluetooth etc. Personally, I hate how it drives but for her it's the looks and gadgets. The extended warranty is also up in August, not sure if Nissan offers anything past 5 years or for how much.

Anyway, she's asked me to explore the possibility of getting a different (bigger) car, I've managed to convince her that looks aren't important, it's practicality she's after, she's still adamant of wanting a surround camera system though (I might be able to convince her a rear view camera is enough).

Budget wise, I'm not sure how much her current car is worth, was bought for £12k (slightly overpriced IMO but she fell in love with it) almost 2 years ago, WBC is coming up at £6k with 1 previous owner, full service history and 55k miles, I'm sure all the extras may be worth some to someone, still a 5 year old Nissan Juke though, we can add about £6k using finance on top, so max budget is probably £12k tops.

Ideally, we'd do what we did with this car and buy at 3 years old and negotiate 2 years extended manufactures warranty.

So, any recommendations for a car bigger than a Nissan Juke, not older than 3 years (unless you can often negotiate 2 years extended warranty with the car or cheaply) with surround cameras for <£12k?

My only thought at the moment is to go back to Nissan to look at the Qashqai, hoping being a former customer they can offer a decent deal.

Thanks in advance.

Soldato
I had a 66 plate Qashqai for about 18months as a company car and it had all the features you mentioned on it too. My daughter at the time was about 18 months old and we never had an issue with the push chair or needing to move seats about for her car seat. Might be worth looking at them?

Soldato
Yeah make sure you look at estates, they're generally more practice, i've got a Toyota Avensis estate (Mondeo sized) and it's prefect for a small child (ours is 7 months now) and there's no way i'd want a smaller car, even now it's easy to fill it up.

All of the crossover's are smaller than you think inside as you've discovered with a Juke as it's basically a Micra in size, and the Qashqai is about Focus sized.

Back
Top Bottom