Recommended me USB DAC

Soldato
I'm currently using my ASUS XONAR STX for music
with my AKG K702 headphones

would like to gain some space in my PC so looking for a usb dac that is superior to a STX

require 6.5mm headphone jack
toslink connector would be handy

budget <500 pounds?

Soldato
head-fi.org is definitely the best place to ask for that budget. They have a dedicated forum just for DACs - been quite a few similar questions there recently.

Got to be honest though, I'd split that budget and get new cans+dac - but guess Im just not a huge AKG fan, too cold and analytical for me! :p

Soldato
To be slightly more helpful, Cambridge Audio DACMagic is very well reviewed at around £300.

For around £160 the EPH-02D is excellent too.

Both have dedicated headphone amps as well.

EDIT: You can just buy the EPH E-DAC for £80, if you dont want the amp. Excellent little USB DAC thats worth far more than its price.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be slightly more helpful, Cambridge Audio DACMagic is very well reviewed at around £300.

For around £160 the EPH-02D is excellent too.

Both have dedicated headphone amps as well.

EDIT: You can just buy the EPH E-DAC for £80, if you dont want the amp. Excellent little USB DAC thats worth far more than its price.

:confused: i have the DACMagic it has no Headphone socket

Soldato

That would explain it! Gotta be honest, I'd get the EPH E-DAC and save the rest of the money - really does get exceptional reviews.

Could drop the rest of the cash on some HiFiMann HE400s (*drool* :D) and still have cash left over.

This gets rave reviews, might just sell the STX on a bag one. Will this work OK for gaming and movies in Windows.

Yup.

Soldato
OP
That would explain it! Gotta be honest, I'd get the EPH E-DAC and save the rest of the money - really does get exceptional reviews.

Could drop the rest of the cash on some HiFiMann HE400s (*drool* :D) and still have cash left over.

Yup.

would it drive my k702 ok?

also it only has a 3.5mm jack i need 6.3mm :confused:

also you sure it should be an upgrade over an stx?

Last edited:
Soldato
It would most certainly be an upgrade over the STX. A DAC by itself offers no inline amplification, if you amp the K702s atm you will need to amp them DAC (that being said, STX isn't the most powerful amp out there) - if this is the case grab the EHP-02D combo.

You can buy cables from AKG and other retailers that go into a 3.5mm socket - no idea at all why AKG went 6.3mm.

Soldato
ive no idea what this products like that i'm about to mention , but I do have the graham slee srg11 headphone amp from the same company.

Bitzie USB DAC/USB Headphone Amp

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/bitzie-usb-dac-external-soundcard.htm

the blurb .....

20 great reasons why you should choose the Bitzie USB DAC/External Sound Card...
•Plug & Play (instantly recognised by virtually all operating systems including Windows 8!)
•Also Plug & Play with Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android Jellybean — 7 hours playing on fully charged S3!
•No driver downloads (except Windows 98 which is virtually automatic)
•Plays 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192 kHz via VLC media player, Foobar2000 or other freeware players
•24-bit/44.1 or 48 kHz bit-perfect when running suitable software
•16-bit/44.1 or 48 kHz S/PDIF permanently on outputs — 75 Ohm transformer isolated coax and optical "toslink" transmitter
•Full-speed USB
•Low clock jitter
•8x oversampling Burr-Brown USB Audio CODEC
•USB powered - USB compliant 0.5W consumption

Additional superior active analogue output stage!!!
•Analogue 3rd order Butterworth low pass filter, -1dB at 22kHz, -47dB at 352.8kHz
•1.55V rms analogue output
•Two stereo output jacks
•Drives all headphones - low impedance and high impedance
•Drives power amplifiers direct
•True analogue rotary volume control
•Smaller than iPod™ footprint - anodized aluminium case
•Smaller than our Voyager portable headphone amplifier
•Included high quality full-size jack to stereo RCA jack adapter
•Designed and manufactured in the United Kingdom

Soldato
OP
It would most certainly be an upgrade over the STX. A DAC by itself offers no inline amplification, if you amp the K702s atm you will need to amp them DAC (that being said, STX isn't the most powerful amp out there) - if this is the case grab the EHP-02D combo.

You can buy cables from AKG and other retailers that go into a 3.5mm socket - no idea at all why AKG went 6.3mm.

they didn't i remember getting a replacement cable as i broke the original. can easy swap that out :)

Associate
Once you've bought your USB DAC don't forget to jump into the fascinating and murky world of Audiophile USB cables.

Soldato
Once you've bought your USB DAC don't forget to jump into the fascinating and murky world of Audiophile USB cables.

lol tried 2 ...one that cost £30 , the other £60 . couldn't really tell the difference from standard usb . and my set-up isn't cheap

arcam -irdac , graham slee srg11 headphone amp, sennheiser hd700

Last edited:
Associate
You mean you didn't try one that cost over £500? One that tightens the bass, gives better clarity, more air in the high end, improves detail, timing and punch??

Back
Top Bottom