Recommended Restaurants / Cafe etc : Rome

kai

kai

Soldato
We fly out Sunday for 4 nights. Tuesday, i have booked into the 1 Michelin start restaurant ACQUOLINA.

Looking for any recommendations around must eats for pizza, pasta, good coffee etc :)

We will be trying to avoid the tourist trap cafes etc. as i have heard some horror stories about people paying silly amounts of money just for a coffee or a water.

Soldato
Soldato
If you want something special Glass Hostaria is the best restaurant I've been to. It's €100 for the tasting menu but the wines aren't too over the top.

kai

kai

Soldato
OP
We went to Tonnarello a couple of times and it was excellent. Not too expensive either.

We tried Tonnarello, on the basis of the amount of reviews via TripAdvisor. The food was good, although nothing special. I failed to see what the fuss was about.

Then!

At the end of the meal, everything felt forced. We were asked to provide a TripAdvisor review there and then. Each of the couples given cards on who we should mention and the names. Over 6 names of waiters and back staff we had not even seen. In return we would be given “free shots”.

We are happy to give reviews and honest feedback. We appreciate restaurants in the area are largely based on reviews, however it should never be forced. Yes worth a visit, would I rush back - no.

Associate
We tried Tonnarello, on the basis of the amount of reviews via TripAdvisor. The food was good, although nothing special. I failed to see what the fuss was about.

Then!

At the end of the meal, everything felt forced. We were asked to provide a TripAdvisor review there and then. Each of the couples given cards on who we should mention and the names. Over 6 names of waiters and back staff we had not even seen. In return we would be given “free shots”.

We are happy to give reviews and honest feedback. We appreciate restaurants in the area are largely based on reviews, however it should never be forced. Yes worth a visit, would I rush back - no.

We went twice in the same holiday but didn't experience this practice. Our visit was around June 2017. I think if this had happened we wouldn't have been so keen to go back there.

Last edited:

FTM

FTM

Soldato
I always found the joy of eating out in rome was going to family owned Trattorias that served robust rustic food

where the wine came out of a barrel and the ham was sliced there and then off a great big leg

just get off the main streets and seek them out

Back
Top Bottom