Recording BBC radio

Permabanned
You also pay a licence to 'hear'. The material from the BBC radio is not copyrighted in any shape or form therefore, not only is it legal to record it, it is also legal to keep it. Granted it used to be the case that you couldn't even play radio in public places. This was abolished some years back and is now longer an issue. Radio One even promote the recording and keeping of their material. I fail to see where the issue is?

Caporegime
Faithless said:
You also pay a licence to 'hear'. The material from the BBC radio is not copyrighted in any shape or form therefore, not only is it legal to record it, it is also legal to keep it. Granted it used to be the case that you couldn't even play radio in public places. This was abolished some years back and is now longer an issue. Radio One even promote the recording and keeping of their material. I fail to see where the issue is?

The issue is that you have no idea what you are talking about. You have a license to hear and watch, yes, but that license is to hear and watch as many times as they allow you to do so, which is essentially as many times as they broadcast it, or whatever they make available on the website.

Where the hell do you get the idea that BBC stuff is not copyrighted? I assure you it is. Watch a BBC program end and you'll see a nice little encircled C with the date, which means it is copyrighted. Hence you can't make a copy without the express permission of the BBC. This permission is given for time shifting, and that's about it, barring any other downloads or whatever made available on the website.

The rest is true, but really it's a pretty small portion of the post, and the rest really is rubbish.

Permabanned
vonhelmet said:
The issue is that you have no idea what you are talking about. You have a license to hear and watch, yes, but that license is to hear and watch as many times as they allow you to do so, which is essentially as many times as they broadcast it, or whatever they make available on the website.

Where the hell do you get the idea that BBC stuff is not copyrighted? I assure you it is. Watch a BBC program end and you'll see a nice little encircled C with the date, which means it is copyrighted. Hence you can't make a copy without the express permission of the BBC. This permission is given for time shifting, and that's about it, barring any other downloads or whatever made available on the website.

The rest is true, but really it's a pretty small portion of the post, and the rest really is rubbish.

What?

Firstly, I'm talking about Radio not TV so please think with some more accuracy before wasting readers time with drivel posts. Where is the 'C' for Copyright here? If it was such a big issue they would advise you of the fact at the end of every show no?

Get off your high horse with me buddy, its not welcome. Provide facts, not conjecture, then we'll be able to move on with the OPs original query before you derail it any further in an attempt to be clever.

Caporegime
Faithless said:
What?

Firstly, I'm talking about Radio not TV so please think with some more accuracy before wasting readers time with drivel posts. Where is the 'C' for Copyright here? If it was such a big issue they would advise you of the fact at the end of every show no?

Get off your high horse with me buddy, its not welcome. Provide facts, not conjecture, then we'll be able to move on with the OPs original query before you derail it any further in an attempt to be clever.

OK, radio, fair enough. I got sidetracked.

I've checked the TOS at the BBC, and while you may copy for your own personal use, the stuff is still copyrighted by the BBC.

So while I got on my high horse about copying for personal use, you are wrong about the shows being copyrighted. So we both suck.

Permabanned
vonhelmet said:
OK, radio, fair enough. I got sidetracked.

I've checked the TOS at the BBC, and while you may copy for your own personal use, the stuff is still copyrighted by the BBC.

So while I got on my high horse about copying for personal use, you are wrong about the shows being copyrighted. So we both suck.
Fair enough, we'll call it even. ;)

No hard feelings and apologies for my tone.

Back
Top Bottom