• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Reduce Coil Whine Today!

Soldato
I'm confused

Is the point of this to get your ears so used to bad coil whine that you don't mind the mild coil whine?

I'm lucky though my 3090 has no coil whine and it's the first gpu I've owned in 10 years without coil whine

Associate
I'm confused

Is the point of this to get your ears so used to bad coil whine that you don't mind the mild coil whine?

I'm lucky though my 3090 has no coil whine and it's the first gpu I've owned in 10 years without coil whine
You're whining louder than the coils, that's why you can't hear it.

Soldato
To be honest you can get rid of it with minor tweaks. You’d be suprised at the amount of noise that gets sent through a gpu backplate and out the back of the I/O ports.

Undervolt can help a lot as well.

Caporegime
OP
Its not 1st April yet or has someone had too much Xmas vino ?
:D

Not the best start tbf. :p

The purpose of the thread was to help anyone with a GPU with coil whine reduce it, by running the mentioned tests repeatedly.

I have a RX 580 that had bad coil whine, so left it running Sky Diver graphics scene 1 on a loop overnight. It’s now completely silent.

Caporegime
Why can't something be done in manufacturing to mitigate or stop this entirely? When this first started to occur on cards a good few years back some manufacturers were encasing the components in a glue type substance and others in a type of plastic to stop the noise, now it just seems they don't bother and it's a crap shoot if you get a card that does it or not.

Used to be you could also rma due to this, but now it's such a common issue the card would have to be smashing glass with it's pitch to get it replaced.

Soldato
:D

Not the best start tbf. :p

The purpose of the thread was to help anyone with a GPU with coil whine reduce it, by running the mentioned tests repeatedly.

I have a RX 580 that had bad coil whine, so left it running Sky Diver graphics scene 1 on a loop overnight. It’s now completely silent.

Vibrated the offending component into submission.

When this first started to occur on cards a good few years back some manufacturers were encasing the components in a glue type substance and others in a type of plastic to stop the noise

Just get your glue gun out. :)

Associate
Why can't something be done in manufacturing to mitigate or stop this entirely? When this first started to occur on cards a good few years back some manufacturers were encasing the components in a glue type substance and others in a type of plastic to stop the noise, now it just seems they don't bother and it's a crap shoot if you get a card that does it or not.

I would happily pay more for a card with a promise of lower or no coil whine, you'd think manufacturer's would use this as a selling point for some of their more expensive versions.

Back
Top Bottom