1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Registry Boosterss are they worth buying?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other Software' started by justintime2001, Feb 18, 2011.

1. justintime2001

Hitman

Just been looking at Uniblue Registry Booster and downloaded the trial version which says I have 200+ reg problems!

Are they accurate and worth buying or just an attempt to get money from gullible Technical dumbo's like me? :o

Any advice welcome please?

2. masterluke

Wise Guy

They are junk. Do not buy.

Is there a partucular problem you are trying to fix with this? If so there are almost certainly much better ways of doing it.

3. NathanE

Capodecina

The Windows Registry is already pre-boosted, for your convenience.

4. Tonester007

Gangster

I use "Glary utilities" at work. It is free and has a registry cleaner module.
    Those 200+ "Problems" with your registry won't be life-threatening or likely to slow down your PC.

5. PhillyDee

Capodecina

No. No. No. No. No.

Do not need, do not worry. If there is a specific problem, then fix it. Do not add more crap to the pc.

6. cjkennedy

Associate

yeah half of these things end up breaking stuff rather than speeding up your pc, avoid imo

7. scrlk

Mobster

No. Please don't!

If you really need to clean your registry, use CCleaner.

8. xsistor

Wise Guy

I recently tried something called "advanced system optimizer 3" which had awesome reviews all over. And then i went through most of the things it was trying to fix and saw it was trying to remove many of matlab/visual studio/CUDA/OpenCV library and other important files for those programs to run properly

If you're an internet and email type of person then you may not have much to lose, but if you really use your PC for doing the real stuff then most of these registry cleaners are likely to break stuff very badly to the point wehre not even a system restore will help at all.

That said, I do use norton utilities to fix my registry on windows and it finds far fewer errors because it doesn't misreport all the legitimate stuff as errors and then proceed to remove them. If I were you i'd stick iwth NU and not use any of this dodgy crap -- regardless of what reviews it got.

9. dante6491

Soldato

I use the ccleaner utility (free) just for when I uninstall things. Certain programmes leave behind entries and add to the registry. Of course these means naff all as it is a tiny tiny tiny part of what slows down a computer, but I get a placebo effect from doing it.

10. justintime2001

Hitman

:D Thanks chaps, I think you are all saying no then LOL

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  11. Halfmad

Capodecina

I don't bother with any of them and haven't since Windows 95. In all honesty Windows is very good at managing the registry if it's left on it's own. If the registry gets full of junk it's probably due to installing garbage constantly, you're best simply to avoid iffy apps which is easy enough to to do these days by checking each one for reviews before installing.

12. justintime2001

Hitman

I have now downloaded the free "Glary utilities" & "ccleaner utility" as suggested and they cleaned things up nicely. Simple to intsall and easy to tune to the individuals needs, perfect thanks:D

13. Duke

Man of Honour

They do more harm then good.

14. mrbell1984

Capodecina

Don't do it, not even worth a penny.