Reinstall Windows 10 to new SSD on Dell laptop?

Soldato
I've ordered a Dell laptop from the outlet with a standard 1tb mechanical drive, and also a 256gb Samsung PM961 from the classifieds here that I want to use as a boot drive.

Can I just do a fresh install of Windows to the Samsung drive and use the Dell serial number?

Permabanned
I've ordered a Dell laptop from the outlet with a standard 1tb mechanical drive, and also a 256gb Samsung PM961 from the classifieds here that I want to use as a boot drive.

Can I just do a fresh install of Windows to the Samsung drive and use the Dell serial number?

Yes but just make a new Windows 10 boot key and remove the 1TB mechanical drive. Install Windows, on the SSD then plug the other mechanical drive in and format it. You don't need to use the dell serial number for anything.

Soldato
As above, as soon as you get to the desktop and have an active internet connection, Windows will reactivate itself. Just make sure you install the right version (home or pro).

Soldato
OP
Yes but just make a new Windows 10 boot key and remove the 1TB mechanical drive. Install Windows, on the SSD then plug the other mechanical drive in and format it. You don't need to use the dell serial number for anything.

As above, as soon as you get to the desktop and have an active internet connection, Windows will reactivate itself. Just make sure you install the right version (home or pro).

That's great, it should be here this week, so I'll do it that way instead, thanks for the replies.

Associate
Why not just clone the original disk, then you don't need to install anything. You can get cloning software from the Samsung site.

Associate
im in exactly the same situation, just got a AlienBLOATware! 15 R3, came with a 1TB drive, i have a samsung 970 pro 512GB m2 drive and a 2tb drive to go in, so am gonna try a fresh install, if its successful and im not missing anything then i will either just keep the 1tb drive incase i ever need it or sell the laptop, or stick it in another laptop,

Back
Top Bottom