Reinstalling Windows, what to so with the UniFi?

Don
Hi guys, I'm reinstalling windows on my PC, which acts as the controller for my UniFi ap, I have downloaded the backup, do I need to do anything else to ensure I can reconnect to the AP after Windows is sorted?

Soldato
You will need to 'Forget' the AP from the software currently on your existing install then re-adopt it in the new setup.

No you don’t.

If you take a backup of the current controller and then restore that backup when setting up the new controller then the access points will connect to the new controller.

If you can, give the new controller the same IP address as the old controller. Alternatively if the access points are accessing the controller by an FQDN then update the IP address behind that FQDN.

Last edited:
Soldato
No you don’t.

If you take a backup of the current controller and then restore that backup when setting up the new controller then the access points will connect to the new controller without a problem.

Fair enough. That's what I was advised from Ubiquiti.
Even easier then, Thanks for the correction.

Soldato
Surprising that they said that as its trivial to move the controller from one system to another. Certainly that’s easier then starting from scratch with a new controller and doing the setup again.

Soldato
Surprising that they said that as its trivial to move the controller from one system to another. Certainly that’s easier then starting from scratch with a new controller and doing the setup again.

I did think it was a bit of a faff when they said.
At least you cleared it up for the chap.

Soldato
When I migrated mine I took the backup and just restored the backup on the new VM. Didnt need to forget or do any of that, it was alarmingly simple.

Back
Top Bottom